Drum Ads Seared Into Your Memory

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This whole series that Gretsch did had a super-fine Modernist eye putting them together. So many are so good, and they stand up today. You know 'em: Max, Elvin, Art Taylor. They were from before my time, but arriving to the Gretsch party a little later (late 70's/early 80's) and discovering these 60's gems in old Downbeats, well, they became quite inspiring to me. And then they started getting reproduced in books about the drum companies, and other vintage drum books.

If anyone here is familiar with those award-winning 60's black and white Volkswagen ads, it almost seems like they could have the same visual art designers.
Thanks to Scribd I have a whole bunch of these things.

Charlie Watts Gretsch.jpg

Nyama74

Reaction score
I knew I wasn't the only one. I was like 15 and would dream with them, Lol!! That add was plastered on a full page month after month. I remember it in color though. The drums we're red. I wish I could find the add in color.
When I started playing back in the mid-80's, I cut out a black & white photo of the single bass R.O.C. kit. The reverse side of the ad had the full color, double-bass version in red so, unfortunately, this is all I have left to share for color reference. To be honest, I'm not even sure where this photo came from - the ad was double-sided so I don't think it was Modern Drummer. Hopefully someone else still has the complete photo.

IMG_20200711_0001.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I started playing back in the mid-80's, I cut out a black & white photo of the single bass R.O.C. kit. The reverse side of the ad had the full color, double-bass version in red so, unfortunately, this is all I have left to share for color reference. To be honest, I'm not even sure where this photo came from - the ad was double-sided so I don't think it was Modern Drummer. Hopefully someone else still has the complete photo.

View attachment 450658
Yesss! That was the red finish that I remember. That probably was a cutout from some sort of catalog. Thanks for sharing!
LRod

pgm554

Reaction score
Yes! I researched and read all about him after I posted the picture 2 weeks ago. I Had no clue who he was till then.
He quit the drum making biz because he was allergic to sawdust.

pgm554

Reaction score
He quit the drum making biz because he was allergic to sawdust.
Glen was unique.
He used to cut the bearing edges so sharp you could cut paper on them.
Problem with that is that they used to collapse under drum head tension like the old Remo acousticon shells.

I learned that burl wood was actually a defect in the trees from him.
Knew a lot about wood ,but he wasn't a drummer.
Restored antique pianos too.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw an old Metallica live video. Made me think of hese. Always loved the way Z's looked. Hated their sound and feel.

1594684411474.png

1594684307663.png

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Anytime anyone mentions solid shell snare drums, I'm reminded of the time I was at a music store and Tama had just introduced their old Solid shell snare drums.
It seemed to garner a lot of positive reaction from the community and I asked the guy behind the counter what the big deal was with a solid shell snare drum.
He started to explain the differences, when the smart@$$ standing next to me, looked over and yelled, "I WANNA HEAR THE SHELL, NOT THE GLUE!".
I looked back over to the guy behind the counter and he was like, :rolleyes: "yeah, like that".

1594751608761.png

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a kid Buddy was god to me - fast fast fast fast fast. And flashy. And cocky. During one cruise-through at the local music store, I nabbed a Rogers flyer with this color photo of Buddy on the cover:

Newport-Buddy006.jpg

The inside of the foldout flyer had a photo of a snazzy Rogers outfit and also this cropped photo of Buddy that my pre-teen keen sense of detection told me was taken at the same time/place as the cover shot:

Newport-Buddy004.jpg

And that was that was that until I recently stumbled upon a bunch of other photos also taken at the same place/time, which apparently turned out to be the famous drum solo event at the 1965 Newport Jazz Festival (featuring Louie Bellson, Elvin Jones and Art Blakey and Buddy) about which Buddy said, "I did things that day that I didn't even know I was capable of playing...I had said it all, man. Like I had never said it before. Or since."

Newport-Buddy003.jpg

Newport-Buddy001.jpg

Newport-Buddy002.jpg

Newport-Buddy005.jpg

Newport-Buddy007.jpg

Newport-Buddy008.jpg

pgm554

Reaction score
Anytime anyone mentions solid shell snare drums, I'm reminded of the time I was at a music store and Tama had just introduced their old Solid shell snare drums.
It seemed to garner a lot of positive reaction from the community and I asked the guy behind the counter what the big deal was with a solid shell snare drum.
He started to explain the differences, when the smart@$$ standing next to me, looked over and yelled, "I WANNA HEAR THE SHELL, NOT THE GLUE!".
I looked back over to the guy behind the counter and he was like, :rolleyes: "yeah, like that".

View attachment 450970
Why doesn't Tama make those kind of snares anymore?