Drum bag advice

shnootre

Reaction score
I am looking to buy drum bags and a good hardware case or bag for my Sonor SQ 1 4 piece kit (sizes 20", 12x8, 14x13, and 6.5x14 snare). I know Beato bags are highly thought of here, but I am wondering if they may be overkill for me. I do not currently gig regularly - the reason I'm buying bags now is I'm about to move, so the drums will actually be leaving my home for the first time (and possible stored in cases for a short while). I am also confused about the various options at Beato. Would a Beato Pro 2 pre-pack be good enough for my needs? Are there other prepacks worth considering instead? I do foresee some possible gigging down the road, but never more, really, than a half-dozen times a year. I also need these somewhat quickly (probably moving in about 4 weeks) - not sure what the turnaround time is on Beatos (I know I can call and ask - but soliciting more general advice first).

I'm thinking it may be more important to invest more in a good sturdy case or bag for hardware - I have heavy duty, mostly DW 5000 and 9000 hardware, which I imagine would be a little less forgiving on cases.

I know it's been discussed a bunch here, but I couldn't quite find a simple advice thread about this so I reach out to you - thanks for any advice you can share!

I am already set w/ a nice Tackle cymbal bag.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, my error: My cymbal bag is the Humes and Berg. My kit cases are Aheads. I agree with Dan RH.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahead for me. Great quality and attention to detail plus I like the teardrop shape, gives just enough room for mounts etc.
Had some Drum Seekers but the handle is too long so I either was dragging the floor toms along the floor or had to hold them up. Gave up on them.

I use the Tama Powerpad hardware bag PBH05. Well made, wheels, solid handles.

4103960F-1B4E-4D5E-A53C-CA63238BE7C7.jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I currently really like the Ahead Armor bags too. I just recently discovered them. The teardrop shape really makes a difference and puts them into the more favorable status than the Protection Racket bags. Both are great, the Ahead Armor bags are a little roomier with the teardrop shape (for your tom mount or RIMS...its a must). The Beato bags are the best in the world and the most protective for bumps and they are waterproof. They are designed to be tight, so if you have a big tom mount or you are using RIMS mounts, you must go one size bigger. Beato will make combination bags to fit your rack tom and floor tom in one bag, or your rack tom and a snare drum (or two) into one bag for ease of carrying. Beato bags are built to order and Fred Beato is a nice man who is happy to build you exactly what you need. All are great options.

shnootre

Reaction score
Very grateful for these responses!
In general, aay w the Ahead
bags, do you get precisely the size of your tom? I.e. my 8x12 tom would go in an 8x12 bag? (I get that maybe not w the Beatos)

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I have both Ahead and Protection Racket bags. Both are great, but I have to give a bit more of a nod to the Ahead bags.

For hardware, you can't go wrong with the Ahead Ogio sled. You just have to decide which length (there are 3 versions) works best for you, your car, and the amount of hardware you're schlepping. I use the 36" length. Most of my stands require little collapsing, all the cowbells, bass pedal, little mounts, drum throne (Tama lightweight) and rug all go in it.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beato Pro 1 bags are the best bags IMHO. I had a water leak into my basement a few years ago and came down to find my 24” N&C bass drum in a pool of water . Fortunately it was in a 24” Pro 1 bag . I fearfully pulled the drum out of the bag and it was dry as a bone !!
Living in Canada we have some extreme weather and the Pro1 bags have kept my drums safe and dry .

Pro 1 bags are stiff enough that you can drop your drums into the bag instead of putting the drum on the floor and pulling the bag over it .
Pro 1 bags are available as Combo bags and they really work well for the gigging drummer . I have a combo bag that holds my rack Tom and floor Tom . It that’s a thick padded divider that goes between the drums . I also have a double snare drum combo bag . I like to take both a wood shell and a metal shell snare to a gig , especially if I am going to a new venue .

Beato makes some excellent rolling hardware bags as well with skateboard style wheels . They don’t bend in the middle like some bags do . They have a nice big pocket on the side that will fit your stick bag too .

Beato Pro 1 are the bags to get .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Beato bags - I only have a snare bag and it's just too snug, though.

I gig with Protection Racket bags - roomy, "sheep/wool" interiors that are nice and soft, and very durable........much bigger than the actual size.

shnootre

Reaction score
He specifically recommended making some of the bags a bit bigger so they wouldn’t be skin tight! But I have heard same thing elsewhere here.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ended up ordering Beato Pro 1. Just got off the phone w Fred, and I have to say that was about the best equipment ordering phone call I’ve had in my life. What a great guy - looking forward to the bags!
Would you be kind enough to share what you ordered and the prices?

shnootre

Reaction score
Would you be kind enough to share what you ordered and the prices?
I ordered one bass drum bag - which will have room to carry the throne seat as well (at Fred’s advice), one combo bag for floor tom and rack, one snare drum bag, and one hardware bag on wheels (he talked me down from extra large to large).
Total is a little over $600, which is basically exactly the same as the comparable Ahead bags and hardware case would cost. Seriously not cheap, but this kit is my lifer, I think, and I’m hoping these last me a good long time.
(You can see exact prices for all items on the Beato Bags website).

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ended up ordering Beato Pro 1. Just got off the phone w Fred, and I have to say that was about the best equipment ordering phone call I’ve had in my life. What a great guy - looking forward to the bags!
Fred is top notch and his bags are made here in Southern California. His stuff lasts forever and you are helping a small business. You made a great choice!

philmets

Reaction score
Protection Racket and Ahead for me.

By the way, Protection Racket have redesigned their tom cases, now egg shaped and slightly bigger than the previous model. I own a set of these and a set of Ahead cases, quality is the same IMO. I did read somewhere that they're made in the same factory, materials, zip pulls etc are identical apart from the branding.