Drum Bag Size?

Ralph27

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need to buy some drum bags and this is a first for me after almost 30 years of just lugging them around in the trunk every now and then. My question is- do bags account for lugs, spurs, mounts, etc. ? I have a catalina maple- 20x16, 7x10, 8x12, 14x14 and 5 1/2x14. Do I get the exact size bags or go up a dimension? Thanks in advance!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Generally the bags take all that into account. The exception would be things like RIMS mounts ( which sometimes fit, sometimes don't) and large mounts like the Ludwig Atlas. I did a video comparing bags a few years ago. Lately I've bought some Barton drum bags which are a decently made bag at a reasonable price. If money is no object then the Ludwig Atlas bags are perhaps the stoutest and also a bit more oversized than most. Ahead bags are my favorite of the black faux lambswool variety although Drumseeker are the best bang for buck in that category.

Ralph27

Reaction score
Generally the bags take all that into account. The exception would be things like RIMS mounts ( which sometimes fit, sometimes don't) and large mounts like the Ludwig Atlas. I did a video comparing bags a few years ago. Lately I've bought some Barton drum bags which are a decently made bag at a reasonable price. If money is no object then the Ludwig Atlas bags are perhaps the stoutest and also a bit more oversized than most. Ahead bags are my favorite of the black faux lambswool variety although Drumseeker are the best bang for buck in that category.

Thanks for the info and vid. I was thinking probably low end Road Runner. Not really planning on major gigging, just a couple here and there. Basically just looking for something that will keep them somewhat safe and convenient to carry the one or two more times I actually play out! Getting old blows! Thanks again man

Reactions: MJB

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yup, the bag that says “12x8” or whatever will generally fit that size drum WITH some stuff on it, sometimes it’ll even fit a size up. If you have a really large mount or something, they do make egg shaped bags with a little extra space for the mount.

Roadrunner bags are okay, not much protection but certainly better than nothing.

For the cheaper bags, Rockbag by Warwick are a bit better, they have some reinforcement on the bottoms, pretty beefy handles and zippers. I have the same Cat maples (10/12/14/20) and they live in the Rockbags nicely.

The nicest cheap bags I’ve used are Barton - fuzzy pink interiors and a really nice looking bag in nice colors.

Ralph27

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Definitely helpful. I'll also check out those Warwick Rockbags.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I've been stacking my two toms inside a Sleeping bag! :-D

As for my 16" kick drum, its riser is permanently installed via huge nuts n bolts
right through the shell and extends 6 inches out from the shell, so there's no way
that I will undo the riser just to fit my kick drum inside a small kick drum bag.
So then, I'll use a larger bag such as a 20" kick drum bag.
All the extra air space can be filled in with foam padding or my dirty laundry.

For my cymbal stands and hardware, I use a large rolling luggage bag
similar to this one...

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and vid. I was thinking probably low end Road Runner. Not really planning on major gigging, just a couple here and there. Basically just looking for something that will keep them somewhat safe and convenient to carry the one or two more times I actually play out! Getting old blows! Thanks again man
Definitely take a look at the Barton bags. I think they are around the same price point as Road Runners (never bought any brand new RR so I'm not sure) but a nicer bag for the price. Another option is Chromacast which at one time Walmart (of all places) was selling at dirt cheap prices. They are actually pretty well padded I bought a 14x22 for $35 once via walmart (delivered for free to my local store) but I'm not sure if that blowout pricing is still in effect.

Amazon.com : Barton Drum Co.

ChromaCast Pro Series Drum Bag Set - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of the Roadrunner bags from Guitar Center a few years ago and used them on my gigging kit for around town. They were fine for the money and sized right. Just carry your own drums....

MJB

Reaction score
Hi, I was trying to save on bags but there are no bundle pack for 20x14, 12x8, 16x16 and 5 snare. Has anyone tried getting close on sizes and what would work? Thank you

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sir Dude, I remember watching that video way back before I’d joined the forum. Very helpful.

You’ve done a great service. You didn’t have to do it but you did. But you did, but you did, and I thank you.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in here. I purchased a set of these Gator Protechtor bags for one of my birch kits for storage/gigs. They are extremely basic bags with enough padding for moving them in and out of your vehicle. I always handle my own stuff and treat my gear really well, and I've been pleased with them. Strong zippers, decent shoulder straps, and a fairly durable outer layer - a nice break from the decidedly heavier hard shell cases that I move my maple kit in!

I know these aren't top shelf, but they seem to be holding up really well. Can't beat the price point for a full set either. Just my two cents - cheers and enjoy!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Barton has navy blue bags with brown fur interiors now if you don't care for the tweed/hot pink version. I bought a set via Amazon for a 12/14/20 kit for $150 for all of them. I like the tweed ones but wanted a different color to help differentiate that particular set. The Bartons have become my go to lower priced bags and are more than adequate if you are moving your own drums. Really that applies to most any bag. If other people are tossing them about or stacking them in the truck or trailer then hardshell is probably the better choice.

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Barton has navy blue bags with brown fur interiors now if you don't care for the tweed/hot pink version. I bought a set via Amazon for a 12/14/20 kit for $150 for all of them. I like the tweed ones but wanted a different color to help differentiate that particular set. The Bartons have become my go to lower priced bags and are more than adequate if you are moving your own drums. Really that applies to most any bag. If other people are tossing them about or stacking them in the truck or trailer then hardshell is probsbly the better choice.
Great price for those bags!