Drum Cases

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Can you guys recommend drum cases, please? Not looking for hard cases, just soft cases that are plush inside. I've seen the Protection Racket cases, and they seem pretty decent. I'm not sure if Ahead or Gator or any others are preferable or more highly recommended. Thank you in advance.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I second Beato Pro 1 bags, love mine, there is not a better bag out there.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of Humes & Berg cases from Sweetwater. High quality.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Ahead teardrop shaped cases are awesome. Very nice quality. The bass drum case is easy to deal with and very ergonomic.
A second vote here for the Ahead Armor cases. They open up easily, and the the teardrop shape is particularly well-suited for Ludwig Atlas mounts. Good build and nicely padded.

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Humes and Berg Tuxedo Bags. Fantastic bags that offer great protection and last forever. That’s all I use and I’ve got some that are well over 20 years old. They still look great and work perfectly. Zippers still intact and no rips or tears. I know Humes and Berg offer several different lines at different prices, but the Tuxedo line is the one for me. I bought some Roadrunner bags once for my sons kit because they were on sale and they were absolute junk. After the bass drum bag ripped and fell apart, which didn’t take long, they got replaced with Tuxedo bags.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's the Humes and Berg Drum Seeker Bags for me. They strike just the right balance of plush protection at an affordable price point. Nothing fancy, but works just right for me and I have a ton of them in use to back that up!

20190706_160102.jpg

20200116_063339.jpg

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahead Armor is my favorite.
The teardrop shape helps form fit snare drum strainers and bass drum tom attachments, etc.
Nice zippers and adequate padding too.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beato Pro 1 is fine if you do not need significant impact protection - good company and great to work with for customized sizes.

The Protection Racket AAA case line (not their soft bag line) offers significantly more protection (design includes a rigid polycarbonate liner), a more plush interior and are easier to place drums into.

I use Beato for my Jenkins -Martin kits because those shells are robust, to say the least. For a wood-shell kit, I use the PR AAA cases because of the added peace of mind they provide for me.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahead Armor is my favorite.
The teardrop shape helps form fit snare drum strainers and bass drum tom attachments, etc.
Nice zippers and adequate padding too.
Do the ahead armor come with shoulder straps ?

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find that not all soft cases have shoulder straps which IMHO are really useful, especially on lugging a bass drum up stairs.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find that not all soft cases have shoulder straps which IMHO are really useful, especially on lugging a bass drum up stairs.
Do the ahead armor come with shoulder straps ?
No shoulder strap. There is a strap across the top of the bag or you can use the two handles on either side of the drum which makes carrying the drum very easy.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I mostly use hard cases for my drums except the snares are mostly in bags and my cymbals.
I have an Armor Snare bag, H&B seeker cymbal bag and a Protection Racket snare backpack I'd recommend any of the three all high quality and the zippers seem like they will last. I've never owned Beato but know by reputation that they are great as well. Of them all the Armor design does seem easiest to work with when packing up.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Humes & Berg
The Drumseekers are more plush, cost less, and weigh more that the Tuxedos, in my opinion.
I have a mix of boiith.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I'll check into all of these. Along a similar line, I'm also looking for a small case for misc. gear that I don't want in my sick bag (collar locks, springs, rack clamps, pedal beaters, hi-hat rods, etc.). I was thinking a sort of tackle box for drummers? Any ideas there? Again, looking for a soft case type deal.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love the Protection Racket cases. I have maybe 20 bags for various kits and probably 12-14 are PR's. I have a few Ahead's and some mystery/vintage ones.

But I defintely like the rugged zippers, thick canvas and plush "sheepskin" interiors of the PR's. I've had one zipper fail me (one of 2 pulls doesn't work) but it still closes with the other pull.