Drum Center of Portsmouth - PENDING Experience

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As some know, I started a thread early on sharing some Sakae deals that were going to emerge from DCP as they had purchased the Japanese closeouts. This is my first experience purchasing from them. After many failed attempts to resolve transaction issues with management and Shane there, I felt I needed to bring this to the attention of other forum brethren. I cannot see how they are rated a top 100 drumshop for four years running with this type of terrible customer service and utter lack of concern for a customer.

To clarify, the issue has never been resolved on DCP's end, yet they have closed the case via email.

I purchased a tom from DCP early on, placing a deposit down. On the phone with the sales guy, there was conversation about potentially adding a coupon code on to the purchase once it arrived to their shop. With the thread I started here, there were some purchases of drums along with coupon codes being given. I was contacted to finalize my bill. When I asked about the coupon code, I was told no. When I mentioned that there were other Sakae purchases from forum that received a coupon code, I was told it was an automated glitch. I asked if they can include me in the discount based on the situation, they confirmed it was a no for me. That is not how I understood people here received the coupon code, but were issued to them from a person. Perhaps I am mistaken here.

During my first conversation with the sales guy at deposit time, he promises to provide me a list of the Sakae drums coming in as I had expressed interest in purchasing another Sakae kit and a snare in addition to the tom. The original sales guy never sent this to me, after several requests I made over a few weeks. If you cannot provide this customer service please don't offer. (The list was already generated as I understood because they were reading off it, just need to cut and paste it to me).

Before the drum shipped, I requested the drum to be checked over the phone. I had clarified, due to the specific proprietary hex rod system Sakae uses, I wanted to ensure the mount, arm, etc. was included since the company is basically defunct at this point, so I would be able to setup the drum. No one has these parts for sale etc.. I was told by the original sales guy that everything was included and I would be able to set it up upon receipt. The drum did not come with any of the stated hardware pieces. I was later told, the salesperson did not check this, but had someone in the warehouse tell him.

At this point, I called in twice to speak with Shane who never returned my calls from the VM's left. I contacted Shane at the support email at this point. I sent 3 emails to the support email address over the course of a week without a response. I finally called into the shop and was told Shane would return Monday. At this time, I had gotten another sales guy who answered the phone. I shared the problems and he said they would make this right. The original sales guy contacted me and asked what was wrong. I told him on the phone what happened. He stated that he would send me an arm for free and wanted to charge $10 to ship it. I asked why I would pay for shipping when it was supposed to be included per his verification. He stated he had to and and would send me a quote. I asked about a clamp as well during this conversation. Salesperson said it did not come with a clamp now. I received the quote via email and it was now a charge for the arm, added the price of a clamp, and free shipping vs. free arm as stated. I mentioned I didn't feel I should be charged based on the situation, but decided to only take the Sakae arm (and not the generic clamp). Now the quote came back as $10 charge for the arm and $12 shipping.

At this point, I emailed Shane again, because of the inconsistency with this sales person during the entire transaction (and still no drum list from him at this point as well). Shane emailed me later and states, we don't have any Sakae arms. I respond back that salesperson stated they do, but has gone back on that he would provide the arm for free. Shane only responded with that he was on the other side of the building and he is not in customer service. He added the sales guy told him it came with a rims mount which it did. (He did send me a partial list of what else is available for sale at this point.) Twenty minutes later, I receive a generic email stating my case has been closed. Shane would never take the time to talk to me about this, or investigate if there were any shortcomings on their side with how this was handled. I gave him ample opportunities to discuss with me.

So, I have a tom that I cannot setup. I really do not want to transact further with DCP how they left it. I wonder if Yamaha hardware works that I'll have to purchase? I'm very surprised with my first experience with DCP. They do not seem to be concerned with repeat/additional business.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're not happy and want a refund, then start a conversation with your credit card company. That's all I can add.. It doesn't look like they're going to deal with it any further ( obviously)

Last edited:

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
I can't speak to other people's problems but last year I did a special order Gretsch USA Custom with Shane. DCP and Shane were incredible to work with. I live in Panama so my shipping was a pain and I wanted a custom finish as well. Shane was always available by email, even for some early changes, and I got a great price and the drums delivered without issue. I give DCP my highest recommendation.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have been going to DCP since Shane opened it, and have nothing but stellar things to say about the shop and its staff. In fact Tony (the GM) loaned me a $700 Yamaha monitor to try at my annual gig in Maine.
I wouldn't know if it would work with my set up, it did and there it stays.

Anyway sounds like some balls were dropped, yes Shane was away for like 10 days and I am sure he had a pile of stuff to deal with when he got back, so it may be just a matter if timing.

My guess if there was a promo code it would not be applied to the Sakae gear due to the heavy discounts given.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can't speak to other people's problems but last year I did a special order Gretsch USA Custom with Shane. DCP and Shane were incredible to work with. I live in Panama so my shipping was a pain and I wanted a custom finish as well. Shane was always available by email, even for some early changes, and I got a great price and the drums delivered without issue. I give DCP my highest recommendation.
And this makes the OP's issue better?

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Bought a 22" ride from DCP and everything worked out fine. Shipped to Sweden. Could have been better packed but I'll blame the Swedish postal system for the partially damaged (open...) package. Cymbal was fine, though.

Yamaha hex works fine with Sakae. Actually preferred using a Yamaha Double Tom Holder with my 10" and 12" Sakae toms.

There are Sakae tom holders floating around. Not sure about the CL-10S (that comes with the Trilogy toms) but the WLC-100 works fine. Not the answer you want, of course, and these are located in Europe...

https://www.justmusic.de/Drums/Schlagzeug-Hardware/Tomstaender-Kombistaender-Tomarme/Sakae-WLC-100-Tom-Arm

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
And this makes the OP's issue better?
I it's unjust to denigrate a good company and a good person. Every company, every salesman have bad days. I want to provide a counter to anyone reading this thread. Just because one person has a bad experience it doesn't mean every has had them.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
It sounds like a bad confluence of events with the end results being the dollar amount aren't worth the owner's attention. If that's the case, that's lousy treatment. But either way, the sales staff sounds very mixed up on this issue. They should work with you to correct the issue.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Bought a 22" ride from DCP and everything worked out fine. Shipped to Sweden. Could have been better packed but I'll blame the Swedish postal system for the partially damaged (open...) package. Cymbal was fine, though.

Yamaha hex works fine with Sakae. Actually preferred using a Yamaha Double Tom Holder with my 10" and 12" Sakae toms.

There are Sakae tom holders floating around. Not sure about the CL-10S (that comes with the Trilogy toms) but the WLC-100 works fine. Not the answer you want, of course, and these are located in Europe...

https://www.justmusic.de/Drums/Schlagzeug-Hardware/Tomstaender-Kombistaender-Tomarme/Sakae-WLC-100-Tom-Arm

Helpful. Very much appreciate that. I’ll look into it. I may consider aluminum RIMS as that is proven in my exp, but expensive.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear that, clowndog. Sounds like they definitely dropped the ball on you, several times.

Regarding the 10% discount, it was an automated email code. It started out as valid for the Sakae clearance stuff, but was soon switched off. Still works for other items, however.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I it's unjust to denigrate a good company and a good person. Every company, every salesman have bad days. I want to provide a counter to anyone reading this thread. Just because one person has a bad experience it doesn't mean every has had them.
It was more than one bad day. If you are on vacation use an out of office, or route your email. If a customer reaches out to you multiple times on the phone, call them back. It’s quite simple and polite.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you’re still looking, I think I have a Sakae tom arm I bought a while back (thinking it might work with Yamaha hardware, which it doesn’t). Pm me if you’re intersted.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
He's not denigrating the company. He's relaying an experience. I'm sure a lot of Jeffrey Dahmer's neighbors thought he was a nice guy. Probably 99.9 per cent of this business's customers have had good experiences. But that doesn't help the person who was treated disrespectfully and was lied to. This wasn't one bad day. It went on with various employees and THE OWNER of the company over many weeks. This kind of treatment is inexcusable and frankly stupid. Privately owned companies that don't value ALL their customers are bound to lose many potential ones.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regarding "good" or "bad" customer service, it is absolutely worthless to talk about times we bought something and we received what we bought. That's the bare minimum of a retail transaction, that is not "good service". If they don't deliver what you paid for, you're looking at taking legal action, not dinging their quality of service. If the seller was extra nice to you, or shipped extra quickly, that deserves a pat on the back or a positive feedback, but it's still just at the "slightly above average" level of customer service.

You can tell something about customer service when things go wrong. Damaged in shipping, parts missing, not the right finish, any of the million things that can go sideways in a transaction. How does the seller handle it, what's their attitude like, do they make a reasonable and prompt effort to resolve it? THAT is when we can get a real picture of whether they have good customer service.

Whenever someone says "I bought gear from so and so, it went great" I think "so they are operating at the floor level baseline of legal business? OK."

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He's not denigrating the company. He's relaying an experience. I'm sure a lot of Jeffrey Dahmer's neighbors thought he was a nice guy. Probably 99.9 per cent of this business's customers have had good experiences. But that doesn't help the person who was treated disrespectfully and was lied to. This wasn't one bad day. It went on with various employees and THE OWNER of the company over many weeks. This kind of treatment is inexcusable and frankly stupid. Privately owned companies that don't value ALL their customers are bound to lose many potential ones.
right off the bat I don't appreciate when I am not as "valued" like others

Drummer1990

Reaction score
DCP is absolutely worst place to buy drums from.. The staff are absolute d!#$s in store. I went there on a short trip to Maine and they followed me around constantly as I was taking my time to find things. I went in trying to get a Reference series brass an I found a lower price at time than theres said no can do we lose money if we sell you at that price, Then got rude with me when I wanted to use a credit card an said I better be able to afford what I was buying or they'd report me to debt collections.. You do not say stuff like that to a customer EVER and it's none of their business what I can afford an can't. Moral of story I left snare an heads on counter said F you guys and walked out door.

I will to this day Not recommend anyone I know to shop at DCP.

Casio Interstate Music,Guitar Center or your mom an pop local owned music stores is where I send my pals

End to true story - I still dont have a Reference series brass 14x6.5

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
As some know, I started a thread early on sharing some Sakae deals
Was this Old- Stock post-defunct Sakae items
Or
On newly rebirthed- Sakae items

Was it
On items already on the DCoP premises
or Items that needed Ordered from rebirthed Sakae

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I was in DCP once, the day they had David Garibaldi clinic back in October. I thought the staff (I met most of them) was very nice, well informed and gracious about letting me smack stuff (although most of the snares I wanted to try weren't tuned).

As far as customer service goes, and this is for any retail establishment, not just DCP...Mom and Pop stores NEED to have excellent customer service. People decry big retailers and internet stores as predatory, taking out the little guys. But if a Mom and Pop won't go out of their way to do right by and help their customers, you're going to drive them to those places. It's a two way street. Mom and Pops need to go above and beyond to compete.

I hope if DCP responds to this thread they can explain what happened reasonably and do what they can to make it right.