Drum Center of Portsmouth - PENDING Experience

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does it matter? The seller doesn't appear to be questioning the OP's version of it. If they did, we'd be looking at this a whole lot differently.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whether the OP is correct in his assertion or completely unreasonable is irrelevant. Look at the damage that was done for what amounts to peanuts.

A good steward has a sense for people, says to himself or the people underneath him; this guys gonna be more trouble than it’s worth, give him his coupon and tom arm, make sure he is happy then dust your hands off and move on.
I understand your point Nacci. It makes sense, but the other side of that coin is that the business can fall prey to anyone who decides to open up a negative post about them. Then you have a situation of blackmailing the business, forcing them to take a loss evertime someone posts something whether it's a true or false, or misunderstood claim.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does it matter? The seller doesn't appear to be questioning the OP's version of it. If they did, we'd be looking at this a whole lot differently.
Of course it matters.
If it is written down, there is really no discussion. The written word is the legal foundation.
If it is a voice conversation ... well ... that's just hearsay (legally).
If there was some sort of written record (which is common sense in business deals), then this thread would not exist.
So, yeah ... it matters.

The seller did not state that the OP's version was truth through and through.
Go back and read it.
He didn't get in to the details of it. He wisely added that if anyone should have further questions regarding it, to contact him directly. That's the correct move. This is not the place to hash out business deal issues.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It was the promiss that it was there
I think might have been a misunderstanding between seller's yep "Bracket" is there and buyer's oh ok "Bracket and Arm" is there...
I'd have to see how it was originally Advertised/ worded/
If it was at all..
How did OP find out about the sale to begin with and how was it worded..
is not clear to me

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DCP may have a somewhat headstrong culture but all will be fine if guys don't walk or write in and demand instruments, parts, and prices they claim they've seen.... somewhere, and expect the owner or upper management to run over to accede to their every demand like some fully endorsed star just came in.
There are two sides to every story and I can envision situations where an unkempt possibly dirty, poorly spoken potential customer walks in with an attitude expecting to be kowtowed to and expecting to walk out with top tier gear for what they want to pay.
I've been there a few times and as I start to look around, usually at the wall of snares, a salesman always latches on. I look like a guy who might spend some money so I'm not surprised. I do sense disappointment when they realize I'm probably not buying an $1100.00 snare today and they abandon me. But what an assemblage of drums. It's a combination of a shop and a museum!

Iristone

Reaction score
I had great experience with them on more than one (international) purchases. The only not so stellar one was when FedEx asked me about the name of my company (I'm buying individiually). I thought well maybe they were asking the seller company so I wrote "Drum Center Portsmouth", and the courier basically chased me in circles asking for the signature, license etc. of DCP. And when I asked DCP they actually provided me all the information they could! Great company, but alas.. :shaking:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
DCP may have a somewhat headstrong culture but all will be fine if guys don't walk or write in and demand instruments, parts, and prices they claim they've seen.... somewhere, and expect the owner or upper management to run over to accede to their every demand like some fully endorsed star just came in.
Why should someone who's already got plenty of gear, attention, and money get BETTER service than someone who has not?
I can envision situations where an unkempt possibly dirty, poorly spoken potential customer walks in with an attitude expecting to be kowtowed to and expecting to walk out with top tier gear for what they want to pay.
One day Nasruddin walked into a day spa, dressed in ragged clothes, and looking dirty. The attendants didn't help him, didn't offer a massage, didn't offer hair care. When he asked for soap and a towel, they gave him a scrap of bar soap and a washrag. When he left, he gave each of the attendants a huge tip, the most money they'd ever gotten as a tip.

The next week he went in again, having bathed, groomed himself sharp, and dressed in his finest newest clothes. The attendants barely recognized him, but when they did, they fell over themselves to give him the best service. Manicure, massage, hair oils, the best soaps and lotions, and luxurious towels. When he left, he gave them each one penny.

He said "this tip is for last week. The previous tip was for this week."

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course it matters.
If it is written down, there is really no discussion. The written word is the legal foundation.
If it is a voice conversation ... well ... that's just hearsay (legally).....
The law allows for verbal contracts between knowledgeable parties...which we had in this case. The majority of the world's contracts are verbal....probably millions of them every day. Even IF it were written down, we'd still be having this discussion as DCP clearly has stated they DO NOTnormally include tom arms with drums. That's their stated/verbal policy....though show me where that is written down. Therefore, it would have been a mistake, an error, or oversight had they offered a tom arm..... and they would have backed away from honoring that. That's why this thread is here. And we'd still be here in either instance. Though I would agree that a written contract would be great. It doesn't ensure you get what you ordered. I've ordered a number of items on Ebay where I didn't get everything that was listed in the photos/description. I told the seller as such. They refused to respond. It happens.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The law allows for verbal contracts between knowledgeable parties...which we had in this case. The majority of the world's contracts are verbal....probably millions of them every day. Even IF it were written down, we'd still be having this discussion as DCP does not normally include tom arms with drums. That's their stated policy....though show me where that is written down. Therefore, it would have been a mistake, an error, and they would have backed away from honoring the OP's request. That's why this thread is here. And we'd still be here in either instance.
All good.
I don't agree but it honestly isn't worth proceeding with.
This is what it is because of the path taken.
Hopefully ... lessons have been learned.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed. OP and Seller appear to be ok where things currently sit. It's us folks in the peanut gallery tossing it back and forth now. And it will be instructive for some in the future. I'm usually pretty good these days about getting higher dollar things in writing from "whomever." Even when ordering an item that I pay via PayPal, I list each and every item with their condition in my PP remarks....including purchases made here from other members It's both a reminder for me and a backup if anything ever "went wrong." To date, nothing has ever gone wrong.

Yes, a "dream drum" that the buyer cannot use as intended. A few months or years from know the OP will tell us he finally found the correct mount.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
From reading this, you would think that someone died! We are just talking about a tom arm, correct? What... a $50 part? Did I read this wrong? At any rate, as a person in business for many years, you get a percentage of malcontents that no matter what you do, no matter how many hoops you jump through, they simply won't be happy. They then set out to destroy your reputation to such a degree in such a malicious manner that they would find great pleasure in starving you and your kids out because you have done them wrong. I have over the years noticed a few such people on this site that fit the bill. You know who you are. At any rate, to run one of the last remaining drum shops through the mud like this is way over the top, shameful, and indicative of the nasty, passive aggressive nature that we are finding more and more and being behind a computer (rather than face to face) has created. Sometimes things just happen and sometimes things just happen over and over again. This is hardly life or death. Put a stop on your credit card and be done with it. You are dealing with people who I am fairly certain are there to give you good service. Sometimes they pluke it up...give them the chance to make it right, but be reasonable. Write them a good old fashioned letter via snail mail...trust me, it gets a lot more attention than a stupid email that may be missed in the pile of 10,000 junk email that we all get. Hell, I don't even check my email anymore... Finally, we are all drummers here. Drummers are inherently cool. We aren't dicky sniveling guitarists. Be cool to one another. Tomorrow might be your last day on earth or his (your adversary)...Is this what you want to be known for. Besides, 50 bucks never killed anyone...

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
[
From reading this, you would think that someone died! We are just talking about a tom arm, correct? What... a $50 part? Did I read this wrong? At any rate, as a person in business for many years, you get a percentage of malcontents that no matter what you do, no matter how many hoops you jump through, they simply won't be happy. They then set out to destroy your reputation to such a degree in such a malicious manner that they would find great pleasure in starving you and your kids out because you have done them wrong. I have over the years noticed a few such people on this site that fit the bill. You know who you are. At any rate, to run one of the last remaining drum shops through the mud like this is way over the top, shameful, and indicative of the nasty, passive aggressive nature that we are finding more and more and being behind a computer (rather than face to face) has created. Sometimes things just happen and sometimes things just happen over and over again. This is hardly life or death. Put a stop on your credit card and be done with it. You are dealing with people who I am fairly certain are there to give you good service. Sometimes they pluke it up...give them the chance to make it right, but be reasonable. Write them a good old fashioned letter via snail mail...trust me, it gets a lot more attention than a stupid email that may be missed in the pile of 10,000 junk email that we all get. Hell, I don't even check my email anymore... Finally, we are all drummers here. Drummers are inherently cool. We aren't dicky sniveling guitarists. Be cool to one another. Tomorrow might be your last day on earth or his (your adversary)...Is this what you want to be known for. Besides, 50 bucks never killed anyone...
I love you dude, but your word is still your word regardless of how much money is involved. :)

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bottom line is they told the OP that a tom mount/arm would be included, instead of putting the “it’s just a tom arm, pay the extra cash” on the buyer, why can’t DCP just pick up the tab
and send him a new one!
I had a slight issue with them last year, I won’t go into details but I will shop elsewhere.
This is part of their email to me, they should step up to the plate!

1585160078863.png

Peter,

I have some really AMAZING news. Are you ready for this? Your order ———————- has shipped and the tracking information is below. I'll take this time to say that I'm a firm believer that a strong relationship with a well respected retailer is one of the most valuable tools a drummer can have in his arsenal, and that's what I strive for in our relationship together.  I want to know how we can help you with your goals and how we can cultivate a mutually beneficial relationship.  It's important to me to know that you are getting what you need from us and if you're not satisfied, I ask that you please contact us so that we can address it immediately.  Thank you for your business!

Shipped on 1/28/2019 using FedEx Home Delivery®:

Sincerely,
Drum Center of Portsmouth

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is this starting to get out of hand? Clowndog, did DCP reach out to you privately since all this started and try to work with you?

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@clowndog So did DCP make it right getting your order even though made you pay shipping an cost of tom arm as it was or are you still unresolved with it?
Unresolved.
Is it just me, or is this starting to get out of hand? Clowndog, did DCP reach out to you privately since all this started and try to work with you?
They have not.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
[
I love you dude, but your word is still your word regardless of how much money is involved. :)
Well said and I totally agree with you... Your word is your word. But, this is hardly the action of a scam artist, right? I have had people lose their minds over a buck, swear to curse your mother, grandmother, and your children's children. I just think that this was probably the result of a huge misunderstanding and/or a crappy employee that doesn't have their head in the game and as a result, has been exaggerated to the nth degree. Honestly, just call the credit card company and have them deal with the company if you can't get satisfaction. That said, I hardly think that the drum shop wants to ruin their reputation over $50! I don't want to get into a pissing match over this either...I just think that some of us are better communicators than others. Be reasonable, don't jump to conclusions too easily. It reminds me of a deal that I once made with Bizarre Guitar in Reno, NV over a Simmons SDS7 kit, which was very expensive for the day...in 1985. The kit cost me $5000 in 1985 dollars... Ouch!!! I sent multiple money orders (days before CC were used daily...cash was king) that were purchased with cash at my local drug store. Anyway, a couple weeks passed and I didn't get my drums, so I called them. No one at the store knew what I was talking about. The owner was out of town, he didn't leave any directions, etc... In the end, I sent out $5000 and no one could tell me what happened to the money. No drums arrived...it was a mess. To make a long story short, the money orders did arrive, the owner deposited them and went on vacation. It turned out that the guy at the drug store did not submit the paperwork for the money orders...he ripped them up and kept the cash. It took two months to get this figured out because banking wasn't what it is today...the whole instant banking through computers, etc... Finally, the NSF came through the bank and bounced and we eventually got to the bottom of it. Other than bad timing with the owner going out of town and no one else being able to read or go through his mail...no one knew that they money orders bounced or that they even arrived. No one could answer any questions regarding my purchase... In the end, the drug store was able to trace back that this employee had done this on numerous occasions and he was eventually prosecuted. The insurance company made good on my purchase because I kept the receipts. Now, was I frustrated with Bizarre Guitar? Yes, absolutely, but it really wasn't anyone's fault. Shite happens. Let's not lose our minds or our manners with one another. I swear, sometimes the stars simply don't lineup right and no matter what you do...it just comes out wrong. Give them a chance to make right on it. You never know what might be going on behind the scenes.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Allow me to first of apologize for any miscommunication, confusion and anything of the sort. Shane was in fact on a much needed vacation for the majority of the timeframe you spoke of, so that would explain that.
As far as pricing/coupons are concerned, these drums and hardware we have from Sakae were purchased at a discount and in turn are being sold at a heavy discount. Our coupons do not work on already discounted items, that goes for any clearance item, Sakae or not. This is why that coupon would not work on that drum. Things like this happen every time we have a sale, everyone wants more and more. As it stands the discounts are already quite drastic. It's important to point out that this all started because an additional discount wasn't granted on top of an already $200 discount on the drum.

Something else I would like to point out is that while we have the appearance of being a large operation, we work with a pretty small staff, less than 10 of us all told. We do our best to treat everyone as our sole priority, but that is not always possible. The confusion on the tom mount being included could be chalked up to a miscommunication on verbiage. We would have said the mounting hardware was included, which it is. The tom are and clamps are almost always separate unless otherwise noted.

This whole thing seems to be one huge misunderstanding and it is unfortunate that it has reached this point.

I also want to speak to something Nacci mentioned, regarding one of our guys asking him to write in. Like I mentioned earlier, we are a lean operation and at times we can become totally overwhelmed, especially if there is a healthy amount of customers in the shop. While asking someone to write seems like we are pushing them off, the reality is that is because we want to make sure we are not going to miss anything.

I would also like to point out that there are always two sides to every story. We at times deal with very difficult and entitled customers, not the norm, but it does happen. In those cases, we are not able win. At the end of the day, think of us as people, not as a company trying to rip you off and we can work together instead of "what can you do for me?".

To speak to Drummer1990's complaint, we would never have said anything about whether or not you could have afforded. Not sure where that is coming from AT ALL. If we can't match or beat a price, it is probably because we can't, sorry but we are not in the business of loosing money to make everyone happy. Also thanks for calling us D!#*s, that speaks volumes.

In trying times like these, it's good to have a little understanding and patience. I am in no way saying that the ball wasn't dropped either, we all make mistakes, but please remember, that there are always two sides to the story.

If there is anything else I can clarify for the group I would be happy to do so.
Facta Non Verba.

Latest posts