Drum Center of Portsmouth - PENDING Experience

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure he is already using the drum.
Just not as intended. I'm not a fan of using snare stands or other mfg's mounts. But, that's just me. Why is it that it's rarely the seller picking up the $50 hit? They can't afford $50. And fwiw, I ordered something from DCP just the other day. Other than routine brand new "trinkets" this is my first significant order. Hopefully the vintage items are decent and properly described.

Update: those vintage items came in today.....and they were beautiful and worked better than I imagined. Great job and good deal from DCP NH.

Last edited:

pbldrum

Reaction score
As some know, I started a thread early on sharing some Sakae deals that were going to emerge from DCP as they had purchased the Japanese closeouts. This is my first experience purchasing from them. After many failed attempts to resolve transaction issues with management and Shane there, I felt I needed to bring this to the attention of other forum brethren. I cannot see how they are rated a top 100 drumshop for four years running with this type of terrible customer service and utter lack of concern for a customer.

To clarify, the issue has never been resolved on DCP's end, yet they have closed the case via email.

I purchased a tom from DCP early on, placing a deposit down. On the phone with the sales guy, there was conversation about potentially adding a coupon code on to the purchase once it arrived to their shop. With the thread I started here, there were some purchases of drums along with coupon codes being given. I was contacted to finalize my bill. When I asked about the coupon code, I was told no. When I mentioned that there were other Sakae purchases from forum that received a coupon code, I was told it was an automated glitch. I asked if they can include me in the discount based on the situation, they confirmed it was a no for me. That is not how I understood people here received the coupon code, but were issued to them from a person. Perhaps I am mistaken here.

During my first conversation with the sales guy at deposit time, he promises to provide me a list of the Sakae drums coming in as I had expressed interest in purchasing another Sakae kit and a snare in addition to the tom. The original sales guy never sent this to me, after several requests I made over a few weeks. If you cannot provide this customer service please don't offer. (The list was already generated as I understood because they were reading off it, just need to cut and paste it to me).

Before the drum shipped, I requested the drum to be checked over the phone. I had clarified, due to the specific proprietary hex rod system Sakae uses, I wanted to ensure the mount, arm, etc. was included since the company is basically defunct at this point, so I would be able to setup the drum. No one has these parts for sale etc.. I was told by the original sales guy that everything was included and I would be able to set it up upon receipt. The drum did not come with any of the stated hardware pieces. I was later told, the salesperson did not check this, but had someone in the warehouse tell him.

At this point, I called in twice to speak with Shane who never returned my calls from the VM's left. I contacted Shane at the support email at this point. I sent 3 emails to the support email address over the course of a week without a response. I finally called into the shop and was told Shane would return Monday. At this time, I had gotten another sales guy who answered the phone. I shared the problems and he said they would make this right. The original sales guy contacted me and asked what was wrong. I told him on the phone what happened. He stated that he would send me an arm for free and wanted to charge $10 to ship it. I asked why I would pay for shipping when it was supposed to be included per his verification. He stated he had to and and would send me a quote. I asked about a clamp as well during this conversation. Salesperson said it did not come with a clamp now. I received the quote via email and it was now a charge for the arm, added the price of a clamp, and free shipping vs. free arm as stated. I mentioned I didn't feel I should be charged based on the situation, but decided to only take the Sakae arm (and not the generic clamp). Now the quote came back as $10 charge for the arm and $12 shipping.

At this point, I emailed Shane again, because of the inconsistency with this sales person during the entire transaction (and still no drum list from him at this point as well). Shane emailed me later and states, we don't have any Sakae arms. I respond back that salesperson stated they do, but has gone back on that he would provide the arm for free. Shane only responded with that he was on the other side of the building and he is not in customer service. He added the sales guy told him it came with a rims mount which it did. (He did send me a partial list of what else is available for sale at this point.) Twenty minutes later, I receive a generic email stating my case has been closed. Shane would never take the time to talk to me about this, or investigate if there were any shortcomings on their side with how this was handled. I gave him ample opportunities
DCP is absolutely worst place to buy drums from.. The staff are absolute d!#$s in store. I went there on a short trip to Maine and they followed me around constantly as I was taking my time to find things. I went in trying to get a Reference series brass an I found a lower price at time than theres said no can do we lose money if we sell you at that price, Then got rude with me when I wanted to use a credit card an said I better be able to afford what I was buying or they'd report me to debt collections.. You do not say stuff like that to a customer EVER and it's none of their business what I can afford an can't. Moral of story I left snare an heads on counter said F you guys and walked out door.

I will to this day Not recommend anyone I know to shop at DCP.

Casio Interstate Music,Guitar Center or your mom an pop local owned music stores is where I send my pals

End to true story - I still dont have a Reference series brass 14x6.5

So, I have a tom that I cannot setup. I really do not want to transact further with DCP how they left it. I wonder if Yamaha hardware works that I'll have to purchase? I'm very surprised with my first experience with DCP. They do not seem to be concerned with repeat/additional business.
DCP is absolutely worst place to buy drums from.. The staff are absolute d!#$s in store. I went there on a short trip to Maine and they followed me around constantly as I was taking my time to find things. I went in trying to get a Reference series brass an I found a lower price at time than theres said no can do we lose money if we sell you at that price, Then got rude with me when I wanted to use a credit card an said I better be able to afford what I was buying or they'd report me to debt collections.. You do not say stuff like that to a customer EVER and it's none of their business what I can afford an can't. Moral of story I left snare an heads on counter said F you guys and walked out door.

I will to this day Not recommend anyone I know to shop at DCP.

Casio Interstate Music,Guitar Center or your mom an pop local owned music stores is where I send my pals

End to true story - I still dont have a Reference series brass 14x6.5
Not my favorite drum store: I arrived near the end of UFIP Day several years ago and although I would imagine the large staff had a long sales day, they could not have been less interested in me. I was looking to buy a set of bright hihats. I started with Shane who immediately turned me over to another salesman, who then turned me to another salesman, who then turned me to yet another salesman, and on and on it went. After that, I still purchased a beautiful set of UFIP hats I still use to this day... Fast forward to 2014, when I purchased a Mapex Velvetone shell pack. The cartons that were delivered to my driveway looked damaged but I had never seen drums in this kind of condition. They looked like they fell 10 feet off the back of a truck. When I called DCP, I ended up dealing with the helpful Tom Ash. He told me that the drums had been shipped straight from the factory and the problem was on the shipping end of Mapex, not the store. So I ended up dealing with Mapex directly and got the damaged parts replaced. In all, I didn't have the best feeling for this shop and I buy tons of gear online. I just don't do business with them.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are jumping to conclusions, and werent there, money had nothing to do with it. In fact if the buyer offered him more than the advertised price he still wouldnt have sold it to him !

There is a book written by a large car dealer called "Customers for life" it is very good BUT he does a
part in the book where he says " are there times we must tell someone to take their business elsewhere" he say yes, not common , not why they are there etc. but it does happen.

I am just trying to point out that there are some people who believe that the customer is always right...no matter what. They order people around in restaurants, snap their fingers etc and are very demanding.
That kind if attitude gets shown the door at my place.
I think they are called Karen.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
S#$t happens and I know it sucks to be the one it happens to, so I understand the frustration of the OP and some of the others. So just a couple of things from my own experience with DCP to help balance some of the negative comments.

First, I have been a long time customer. By long time, I mean years. I have never once had a dispute, or reason to have a dispute with them over their service or such. To be fair, I am a walk-in customer and always make my purchases right there in the store so that perhaps solves for some of the issues that could arise over the phone or for an item that requires shipping. The staff is always friendly and helpful and never pushy or hover or what not. They always say hello when I enter the store and the ones that recognize me, do so by name. When you go to DCP, you tend to see the same staff. This isn't a chain with staff shuffling in and out on a weekly basis. They all seem pretty tight and seem to enjoy what they do and each other. Fellow drummers who get just as excited about this gear as we do.

I hate hearing that people have had a less than stellar experience. We are all constantly talking about how much we love the mom and pop shops and dread when we see another drum shop disappear. Maybe we can remember that and consider the possibility that this truly was a misunderstanding, miscommunication or just a plain oops. But let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. I will continue to support DCP and understand that out of thousands of customers and transactions that happen every year at DCP, they are bound to miss a few. Ultimately, it is my opinion that this is a great place to buy your gear without reservation.

Let the trolling commence, if need be. Also, don't forget to wash your hands.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was in DCP once, the day they had David Garibaldi clinic back in October. I thought the staff (I met most of them) was very nice, well informed and gracious about letting me smack stuff (although most of the snares I wanted to try weren't tuned).

As far as customer service goes, and this is for any retail establishment, not just DCP...Mom and Pop stores NEED to have excellent customer service. People decry big retailers and internet stores as predatory, taking out the little guys. But if a Mom and Pop won't go out of their way to do right by and help their customers, you're going to drive them to those places. It's a two way street. Mom and Pops need to go above and beyond to compete.

I hope if DCP responds to this thread they can explain what happened reasonably and do what they can to make it right.
DCP did respond. Scroll back.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my humble opinion DCP ( which I have NEVER had an issue with) needs to provide the arm as the OP was told. The owner/ management team are responsible for the actions/ statements of their employees. If the sales guy goofed and spoke out of turn. That's still what the deal needs to be. Make it right and move forward. This could have been resolved in the time this thread has been avtive. Then speak to the salesman / woman in question and train them up. This is especially true in this situation where the manufacturer is Out of business, and these items are going to be difficult to obtain.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought several things from them in the last few years and all have been positive except for one slightly annoying thing that isn’t worth talking about. I would do business with them again. Sounds like they dropped the ball with the OP. Hope it all works out.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not my favorite drum store: I arrived near the end of UFIP Day several years ago and although I would imagine the large staff had a long sales day, they could not have been less interested in me. I was looking to buy a set of bright hihats. I started with Shane who immediately turned me over to another salesman, who then turned me to another salesman, who then turned me to yet another salesman, and on and on it went. After that, I still purchased a beautiful set of UFIP hats I still use to this day... Fast forward to 2014, when I purchased a Mapex Velvetone shell pack. The cartons that were delivered to my driveway looked damaged but I had never seen drums in this kind of condition. They looked like they fell 10 feet off the back of a truck. When I called DCP, I ended up dealing with the helpful Tom Ash. He told me that the drums had been shipped straight from the factory and the problem was on the shipping end of Mapex, not the store. So I ended up dealing with Mapex directly and got the damaged parts replaced. In all, I didn't have the best feeling for this shop and I buy tons of gear online. I just don't do business with them.
Totally gonna hijack this thread now...a Velvetone pack!?!? Those must be beautiful! Do you have any pics you could post? Please?

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
Just not as intended. I'm not a fan of using snare stands or other mfg's mounts. But, that's just me. Why is it that it's rarely the seller picking up the $50 hit? They can't afford $50. And fwiw, I ordered something from DCP just the other day. Other than routine brand new "trinkets" this is my first significant order. Hopefully the vintage items are decent and properly described.
He loves the drum.
Playing the he'll out of it.
As intended.
And 2 offers to be sent a tom arm.
Dude is sittin' on a DREAM drum keeper that he wouldn't ever consider sending back for a refund because it's that good.
Its probably sticky by now.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Coupla months ago this topic would've been resolved much earlier ... maybe folks are getting a bit snarly and sensitive because of the circumstance outside our front doors .

Scrabble, chess and stuff like that can keep things friendly in the joint , maybe we can find new ways of getting along too .

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Coupla months ago this topic would've been resolved much earlier ... maybe folks are getting a bit snarly and sensitive because of the circumstance outside our front doors .

Scrabble, chess and stuff like that can keep things friendly in the joint , maybe we can find new ways of getting along too .
I agree with this, people I’ve know a long time that I’ve always know to be level headed are starting to loose their grip.