Drum Center of Portsmouth - PENDING Experience

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear bad experience. I've been purchasing most of my gear from them since 2010 either by mail or in the store. I've had nothing but the best service and straight forward discussions regarding prices. I will continue to do so in the future. Shane, Tony and the rest of the staff have been the best. I hope things work out for you .

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
We're all stuck inside and need a new topic to beat on.
Interesting social media dilemma here for sure. The most dire human global event to take place in our lifetime, but due to hyper-partisanship it's like there's a body under the living room rug, festering and causing distress. But we dare not touch or discuss it. Fascinating.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting social media dilemma here for sure. The most dire human global event to take place in our lifetime, but due to hyper-partisanship it's like there's a body under the living room rug, festering and causing distress. But we dare not touch or discuss it. Fascinating.
We have many active threads about it, and we’ve had many more that got locked due to politics and religion posts. It’s not at all that we dare not discuss it, it’s that there is a correct limit on what we can say about it on this forum.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
We have many active threads about it, and we’ve had many more that got locked due to politics and religion posts. It’s not at all that we dare not discuss it, it’s that there is a correct limit on what we can say about it on this forum.
In other words, this is Drum Forum, so that's what we discuss here - drums and music. There are plenty of other places to discuss dire human events. Good luck finding one, and when you're ready to talk drums, stop back.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
... there is a correct limit on what we can say about it on this forum.
I understand. But you have to admit it's turning into the story of our lifetimes. Still, I realize the need for such a rule. I was really just thinking out loud, not trying to form any sort of indictment.

In other words, this is Drum Forum, so that's what we discuss here - drums and music. There are plenty of other places to discuss dire human events. Good luck finding one, and when you're ready to talk drums, stop back.
Thanks. The hostility might explain the need for the rule.

tunesville

Reaction score
Regarding music store customer service...
Last fall I was browsing the drum shop in the local Guitar Center.
Was looking for a Tama StarClassic B/B since they had been discontinued.
I considered a new Tama Walnut snare, and then noticed a Tama StarClassic B/B White Oak snare hiding in the corner.
It was brand new, and White Oak was exactly the finish I wanted.
Price tag said $249.097
Took the drum up to the counter, and was told: sorry, but the price tag was wrong, the snare was actually $299.97
Before I could react, the sales guy says, "it's not your problem that the tag is wrong on this drum. We will honor that price".

No argument, they sold the drum as tagged for $297.97

I'm having a great time with this snare!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So the title has been changed to include "PENDING". Is there an update for the original issue?

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a business to make EVERY customer happy is just, unlikely. Too many variables.

In a perfect world, I think that whatever the customer was told about a discount, SHOULD be honored. Whether the person who told him was wrong or not. 2nd, I also feel like the business owner has the right to refuse ANYONE service.

So, it's all relative. If I'm told I'm getting a discount, I better get it. OR, I'll just buy elsewhere. And, if the seller says I can't honor that, well, their loss, I'll buy elsewhere. You can't always get what you want. This isn't a perfect world.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received an email from DCP yesterday stating they ARE shipping. Or you can pick up at the front door as the show room is closed until early May, IIRC. I live a little far for that but the thought was nice.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bottom line is they told the OP that a tom mount/arm would be included, instead of putting the “it’s just a tom arm, pay the extra cash” on the buyer, why can’t DCP just pick up the tab
and send him a new one!
I had a slight issue with them last year, I won’t go into details but I will shop elsewhere.
This is part of their email to me, they should step up to the plate!

View attachment 432695
Peter,

I have some really AMAZING news. Are you ready for this? Your order ———————- has shipped and the tracking information is below. I'll take this time to say that I'm a firm believer that a strong relationship with a well respected retailer is one of the most valuable tools a drummer can have in his arsenal, and that's what I strive for in our relationship together.  I want to know how we can help you with your goals and how we can cultivate a mutually beneficial relationship.  It's important to me to know that you are getting what you need from us and if you're not satisfied, I ask that you please contact us so that we can address it immediately.  Thank you for your business!

Shipped on 1/28/2019 using FedEx Home Delivery®:

Sincerely,
Drum Center of Portsmouth
Looks like a form letter to me.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
This whole analogy doesn't make sense. The store wasn't turning away a potentially difficult customer. They took a deposit on an item and when it came it, the customer asked to check if all the parts were there. They said they were. (There was a miscommunication as to what was meant by "mounts.") When the customer said parts were missing, the store said they had them and would send them out. Then they asked for more money for shipping. Then they asked for money for the parts. Then they closed the case.

This would be like someone receiving the truck you sold that came with wheels, and you sent it without the tires...
None of this is seemingly having to do with a customer that the store felt they would lose money or have problems with.
DCP's handling of this is not great in my opinion. Sounds like the OP didn't get what was promised even though they supposedly checked before they shipped it and was blown off.

The original post here from Tony is really unprofessional and loaded with excuses and unnecessary inferences that the OP was the problem. The reply to drummer1990 was completely unprofessional and should have been handled as a request for a call or email for more information on the situation described to make sure it doesn't happen again (assuming that it did). Getting into a pissing match with a customer on a public forum is just not a good idea. Being a small company is absolutely no excuse for screwing up. When you screw up you own it and make it right. Small companies who don't get that and use their size as an excuse usually don't end up becoming big companies.

I am willing to give some benefit of a doubt given what is going on in the world but it would give me pause about doing business with them.

And as usual for this place, there is then inevitable circling of the wagons around a seller who has by all accounts done a less than stellar job with this situation and bashing the customer. Reminds me of a situation a few years back where someone bought a hand made snare drum from a well known drumsmith in Europe that had some bad quality issues. At first it was dismissed as normal for a handmade item and any resolution was refused. Once the person posted here some circled the wagons andsaid the same thing until others who had the same drum and theirs were perfect did the seller agree to replace the shell. Sometimes taking things public is the only way to get a seller to do the right thing.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
DCP's handling of this is not great in my opinion. Sounds like the OP didn't get what was promised even though they supposedly checked before they shipped it and was blown off.

The original post here from Tony is really unprofessional and loaded with excuses and unnecessary inferences that the OP was the problem. The reply to drummer1990 was completely unprofessional and should have been handled as a request for a call or email for more information on the situation described to make sure it doesn't happen again (assuming that it did). Getting into a pissing match with a customer on a public forum is just not a good idea. Being a small company is absolutely no excuse for screwing up. When you screw up you own it and make it right. Small companies who don't get that and use their size as an excuse usually don't end up becoming big companies.

I am willing to give some benefit of a doubt given what is going on in the world but it would give me pause about doing business with them.

And as usual for this place, there is then inevitable circling of the wagons around a seller who has by all accounts done a less than stellar job with this situation and bashing the customer. Reminds me of a situation a few years back where someone bought a hand made snare drum from a well known drumsmith in Europe that had some bad quality issues. At first it was dismissed as normal for a handmade item and any resolution was refused. Once the person posted here some circled the wagons andsaid the same thing until others who had the same drum and theirs were perfect did the seller agree to replace the shell. Sometimes taking things public is the only way to get a seller to do the right thing.
I totally agree with you that DCP handled this poorly. Even if they're right, they're still wrong. This was a pretty simple situation that was an easy fix if there would have been people in place to handle it.
As for the "inevitable circling of the wagons", that happens the other way as well. There are those who, on the basis of this one incident and no personal experience, would love to see a boycott of DCP by the entire drumming community. That kind of over reaction and bashing of the seller is just as typical on this forum as is bashing of the customer.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The number of posts of people bashing or otherwise dismissing the OP seems much higher and those bashing DCP.
Could be, in this case. It could have been brought on because of the original title of the thread. It's just that when you say that something is inevitable, it means that it happens on a regular basis, and it seems to me that sellers get bashed pretty much equally here.

LBCD

Reaction score
I'm happy they finally took care of you and glad you aired your laundry out here too! Too bad it took this thread for them to see your side, just goes to show that the customer is KING. One question...are you still gonna buy the kit too?

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don’t sugar coat anything and won’t here either, I have contacted them twice recently, once for a Tama gong drum (they said they would get back to me) and once for a price on a hi-end Sonor kit that I was more than likely going to pull the trigger on, nothing! Crickets, zipper mouth, 2 strikes and 3 strikes your out!

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
When you buy a new car it comes with a radio. if you get the car and it has a hole in the dash Where the radio is suppose to be and you tell the dealer about it does the dealer send you an email telling you the care is closed??????