ludwigtrap

Reaction score
Thought I'd post some drum chart videos I've been building in Logic Pro X.
I've only finished a few but I plan on doing more.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
A bit of constructive criticism... writing "stems-up/stems-down" is basically writing two separate lines or parts on one staff. Meaning that each line/part must be complete in themselves without relying on information from the "other" line to make sense.

Your transcriptions are missing most all of the rests. The stems down bass/snare part in Kashmir reads as two 1/16th's (on the BD) followed by a 1/4 (on the SD). It is only by relying on the vertical alignment between the stems up-steams down parts are we able to infer the missing 1/8th note rest. This in actual practice makes this very difficult to read - and near impossible to sight read.

This may seem like nit-picking - because, of course, we can figure it out. Justaswecanfigureoutasentencewrittenwithnospaces. We can figure it out but it is a lot, lot harder to discern.

Further note - keep in mind that you can switch between one part per staff to two parts per staff (stems up - stems down) at will, even within a bar - without any label or indicator being necessary. But will in two parts - each part must be complete to be fluently readable

ludwigtrap

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the feedback.

Getting Logic's score editor to properly notate and playback drums can be quite challenging. I get what you're saying about the missing rests and I'll see if I can improve the legibility on future attempts.

Latest posts