Drum circles

Drm1979

Reaction score
So I just discovered yesterday that every Sunday in town theres a drum circle that gets together on the beach. I've never really been a hand drum guy. I've been thinking of making a suitcase drum set and thought this may be the perfect situation to use one in. Do any of you have experiences with drum circles? Did you use hand drums, or use something with sticks?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All the ones I've been to, people bring their own hand drums, any kind. Typically it's geared towards the novice and beginners, so you don't have to worry about proficiency. Someone usually is the leader and they should walk everyone through the rhythms. The best ones are a true communal event.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I have had a drum circle party on the summer solstice for 37 years. The rules are only percussion is allowed. Sticks are OK. Never had a drum set at the party because it would become too dominant. A suit case kit might work though. In the beginning, I wanted laymen to experience the groove. Now a lot of folks who were there in the early days are fairly serious percussionists. I say go for it.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The high end crack of a Darbuka will cut through the mix well if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, the larger Djembe drums seem to have the most power in that setting.

Drm1979

Reaction score
The high end crack of a Darbuka will cut through the mix well if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, the larger Djembe drums seem to have the most power in that setting.
I'd be making a simple suitcase drum set using a pearl steel piccolo and hihats in this situation. I'm thinking I might go for it. It may be a few weeks before I do it but it could be fun.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If someone showed up at my community’s drum circle with cymbals and a kick drum, I would not be pleased. If it was that person’s first time in the circle, I’d talk to him about his lack of respect for an event that’s about creating music together — not bringing a tuba to a flute party.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would add that on a kit of any sort you may find yourself having trouble finding a place to fit in with the patterns being played. I'd say pick up an inexpensive aluminum doumbek or something and jump in.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bring some bongos or a djembe like everyone else, lol.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you have your business straight and your chops together and you're with the right people, it doesn't matter what you bring . The first two are your responsibility .

Drm1979

Reaction score
If someone showed up at my community’s drum circle with cymbals and a kick drum, I would not be pleased. If it was that person’s first time in the circle, I’d talk to him about his lack of respect for an event that’s about creating music together — not bringing a tuba to a flute party.
[/QUOTE

Drm1979

Reaction score
I dont think that this would be like a tuba a a flute party. I'd still be bringing a percussion instrument to the event albeit not exactly a hand drum. The group has a facebook page. Maybe I'll contact the person that is managing the page and get their opinion.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont think that this would be like a tuba a a flute party. I'd still be bringing a percussion instrument to the event albeit not exactly a hand drum. The group has a facebook page. Maybe I'll contact the person that is managing the page and get their opinion.
I get the feeling you've never seen one of these in person.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Tbh I have not
interesting that you would say this based on zero experience:

“I dont think that this would be like a tuba a a flute party. I'd still be bringing a percussion instrument to the event albeit not exactly a hand drum.”

Old Dog

Reaction score
Personally, cymbals would just be over the top, even hats. Grab a Djembe, or some bongos or congas, maybe some latin stuff. . .If you're good, it'll show. Not even a snare, unless you don't have the snares engaged. Maybe a floor tom! Something big and bassy like that. . .

The great thing about drum circles, are their muddled mix of similar types of drums. And, if it all works out, they can sound amazing and be huge fun for HOURS. Have fun man.