Drum companies that don't make their own shells

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So lets try that as well, here are the ones that come to my mind that DO produce their own WOOD shells in a facility that they actually own... (I'm not counting stave or segment wood shells)

Sonor
Tama
Yamaha
DW
Pearl
C&C
British
Cadeson
Craviotto
Cask
Stone
Chicago
Eames
Noble & Cooley
Dixon (so Rogers?)
Mapex?
Salt
BSP / Dynamicx

Many others actually do produce their own metal snare drum shells from Dunnett & Oriollo to AK and Q. but I was trying to think of all I could that was producing their own wood shells. I'm sure I am missing a ton... fill in the gaps for me...
Doesn't Ludwig make their shells in house?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any wood working or furniture manufacturer with the molds or equipment to make wood cylinders can make a drum shell. It's not a drum until a drum manufacturer turns it into a drum.
This is true. Here is an oak stave shell that I just got in that was made by a wood carpenter who usually makes furniture but he loves music and learned how to make snare shells. Edges are amazing, shell is spectacular with tongue and groove construction on an amazing shell.
2E17CC6C-BC9E-417D-8B59-38EC1E401D3B.jpeg
23159097-B5E2-49F1-BBC2-70BD96F8F954.jpeg
731AD8D5-FDBB-4A60-8135-EC45F1F22B1C.jpeg
1CADF7A3-B010-4664-99A1-F722DE3C3E4D.jpeg
74288DB5-E86B-4F65-A247-6F7F88D0415F.jpeg
E4C53B85-5246-4440-999D-60B396B9651F.jpeg

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cask made my Steambent rosewood shell. Bill at Pork Pie did the bearing edges and hardware. Those 2 together made a dream drum

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe A&F actually makes their wood shells in house.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe A&F actually makes their wood shells in house.
Can we confirm that? If so we need to add them. I never even thought of them on the wood side. I know they make thier metal drums in house as does INDe, but did not think of them and wood.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we confirm that? If so we need to add them. I never even thought of them on the wood side. I know they make thier metal drums in house as does INDe, but did not think of them and wood.

In the video description, they say, "we make our own exclusive wood shells, hoops, and hardware."

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Inde? No I’m pretty sure they don’t manufacture any of their shells. Same with Dunnett, somebody else mentioned here. All manufacturing outsourced.

Plus all the big brands named earlier may have one or two flagship lines where they make the shells in house, but they also have several mid and lower tier lines where the shells are outsourced. Heck, even Yamaha, famous for manufacturing everything, outsourced to Sakae for some high end lines.

A&F makes all or most of their shells in house, but some of their hardware is Gibraltar with patina added.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats to keep me from going to another shell manufacture and recreating it with them
Well that's exactly what happened when Jasper went under Keller took over making that formula/lay up for Gretsch.
What I mean is Drum companies don't share their formula/lay up with each other much.

See the layup on the new Pearl maple Gum shell; the layup on the DW Jazz maple/gum or Cherry/ gum..
No one seems to have another's - exclusive design. Whether built in-house or not. I don't think that's coincidental or happenstance

Maybe some (for example take a mid line Gretsch Renown, Mapex and a Tama for example ) of the all maple or all birch are common or identical (save for the bearing edge) between some makers (not even sure of that)

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Inde? No I’m pretty sure they don’t manufacture any of their shells. Same with Dunnett, somebody else mentioned here. All manufacturing outsourced.

Plus all the big brands named earlier may have one or two flagship lines where they make the shells in house, but they also have several mid and lower tier lines where the shells are outsourced. Heck, even Yamaha, famous for manufacturing everything, outsourced to Sakae for some high end lines.

A&F makes all or most of their shells in house, but some of their hardware is Gibraltar with patina added.
No, the INDe reference was for his new Kalamazoo series of metal shell drums, Josh has never hid the fact that Keller produces his wood shells to his spec. As for Ronn, he bends and welds his own DUNNETT drums but it's the Georg Way shells that are produced overseas.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Angel makes Every part of their drums except for maybe the tension rods.
I dont know a lot about them other than they produce breathtaking instruments, But I was under the impression that their wood drums were segment and not steamed or plied...that is the criteria for my "make their own shell" list. I can produce a stave or segment shell in my shop with minimum tools assuming I had the skill set, which I dont by the way.

But since most guys focus on ply construction when thinking of wooden drums we could dial back the list to be only those companies. And good point about N&C outsourcing their ply drums (I assume Keller based on location). Good stuff.