Drum companies that don't make their own shells

robbie

Reaction score
That is insane. No mention from them that they did that?
Sorry...didn't mean to ignore your question.
No, the shells came back to me and I just put everything back together. NB: I had special ordered that set and I had nothing but problems - everything from pedals breaking (both the hi hat stand and the bass drum pedal broke in the middle of performing) to cymbal stands stripping out to a dented COB snare shell! The guys at the music store must have gotten tired of me bringing stuff back. Anyway, I fired off a letter to Slingerland addressed to Don Osborne complaining about everything, hence Larry Linkin's reply.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does Mapex make their shells in house ? I cannot recall every reading one way or the other ?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does Mapex make their shells in house ? I cannot recall every reading one way or the other ?
I found many references on the magic buzzin box that said they did but I could not find any plant photos. However I added them to the list. This is from their own website....

It starts with the raw materials. Building the highest quality product initially depends on the expertise of those that select the the wood. Premium grade hardwoods like maple, walnut, birch and basswood are hand-selected from worldwide sources and are then matched by skilled experts to ensure that every drum Mapex produces carries with it the signature tonal and resonant properties that define the distinctive Mapex sound.

Coolvan

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Another thread we've been posting on had some of us labeling some drum companies as "vanilla". It got me thinking: how many of these companies don;t make their own shells? I'm talking strictly intermediate and pro level gear hear, big houses and the boutique shops included. Is it public knowledge who is making them from scratch and who os finishing shells?
I don't think it matters in a big way if they make their own shells or not. Because it seems every company DESIGNS and Engineers their own shells, then hires specialty companies for manufacture. It is simply economy of scale, meaning it helps keep the price lower. Guitar companies do the same.

Latest posts