Drum Company Flops!

Mozart720

Reaction score
Reading the thread about the sparkle heads that Evans and Remo developed in the 60's inspired me to create this thread. Im wondering if people can remember some of the strange, crazy, impractical, unneccesary, and crappy products that some of the percussion industry companies produced and flopped bigtime over the years!!! Feel free to add your stories. Pictures are always a plus!

Flat Jacks:

I played them for Rock n Roll gigs. They sounded great. They were heavy as heck. Easy to transport in one fiber case.They looked great in marching bands as the drummers wore the bass drums on chest swivels that would spin the drums. They went away.............................

R

RickP

Arbiter Autotune drums - could have been a good idea- but Drummers are traditionalists and shunned these.

Leedy Knob tension drums- another idea that failed.

Can't really say these were a flop- but I really like the Purecussion kits- similar to the Flap jacks but lighter and they sounded pretty good.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
That's a shame about the traditionalist thing because Troymiller brought both Peavey and Arbiter kits to the last DFO forumfest and they both sounded fantastic.

I guess another company could be Trixon ... I really have to wonder what was going through the mind of Karl Heinz-Weimer, with the oblong Speedfire kick, the conical-shelled Telstars, and a few other unique contributions and innovations.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
DolFan54 said:
This was the first thing that popped into my head ...........

wow.hadnt seen those before. :shock:

mike

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig had those scoops on the end of concert toms. Those things never caught on. I remember seeing Slingerland masonite shells, but I could be wrong.

Zickos is all but done i hear.Pity because they were around in the good ol days and had an opportunity to establish themselves.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers Series II outfits
Rogers R-340 outfits made by Remo with Acousticon shells and PTS (pre tensioned system)
Ludwig Sound Projector outfits

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that Staccato kit was from the 70s, a flared drum kit to match your trousers! :lol:

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's what came to mind..My own Ludwig sound projectors which were Ludwigs answer to the Staccato and North drums - I think?

Glad these scoops came off- I never gigged with 'em on anyway 8)

Reother

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
blkcortex79 said:
Here's what came to mind..My own Ludwig sound projectors which were Ludwigs answer to the Staccato and North drums - I think?

Glad these scoops came off- I never gigged with 'em on anyway 8)
Did they effect the sound at all?

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
Pearl Vari-Pitch snare (& toms)

A perfectly cool-looking, horrible-sounding drum.

Bermuda

Mozart720

Reaction score
bermuda said:
Pearl Vari-Pitch snare (& toms)

A perfectly cool-looking, horrible-sounding drum.

Bermuda

You know... I heard about these, but never actually saw one. Wow. I feel sick. Looks like they just slapped a roto-tom on top and tried to market it as innovative. ...just...wow.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
A friend of mine had one of those Pearl snare drums and swore by it. I tried for years to find one and then I came to my senses.

sharky10c

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know someone who used to own one of those Staccato kits and man it was cool.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I have to agree with Bermuda here, that Vari-Pitch snare is the worst sounding production snare I've ever heard, and by a country mile. Just horrible, and the toms weren't much better.

My fave flops came from smaller makers. Wish I had a pic, but to me the Migerian bass drum will always be king. Honorable mention goes to the Bom-Bee snare drum.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
dtk said:
I actually saw a set of those masonite slingerlands...the shells were caving in and the kid wanted more than the hardware was worth.
The masonite Slingies were from the 50's...the ones I think you're talking about were CARDBOARD shells (mid 80's near the bitter end) which makes Masonite seem like a good idea in comparison (it's not though). Many years ago I helped a friend of my mom's who was buying a used drum set for her grandson. I went to look at them with her and said "Oh yeah, Slingerlands, those are great drums for the price" ($250). So she bought them. She then asked me if I could go over them and get them cleaned up. I said "sure" and took them home. When I pulled the first head off I was like WTF is this...oops!.

They did clean up to look nice and worked out fine for the kid who was just a beginner, but I had learned to be a bit more vigilant when looking at Slingies of that vintage...especially if they have a foil badge (probably should have been a giveaway...but who'd-a-thunk anyone would make drums from cardboard? :roll: )