Drum company names

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that most of the American companies (and one Canadian and one Japanese) used the surname of the principal who started the business, whereas other companies used a unique name .

USA:
  • Gretsch
  • Ludwig
  • Slingerland
  • Rogers
  • Leedy
Canada
  • Ayotte
Japan
  • Yamaha
Non USA:
  • Sonor (German)
  • Premier (British)
  • Pearl (Japanese)
  • Tama (Japanese)
  • Tempus (Canadian)
  • Canwood (Canadian)
  • Mapex (Japanese)
  • Dixon (Japanese)

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the US, using Surnames as business names was very common in the 19th & 20th centuries. If you look at other US "non-drumming" businesses, they too have tons that are named after somebody. In the case of Asian companies, they usually pick names that would be easier to pronounce in other languages. Look at Toyota, the founders name was Toyoda but they figured that Toyota sounded better. Another common practice was making a short catchy name out of something related: The Pepsi name came from the word "dyspepsia" which means indigestion. The pharmacist who created the formula in the late 1800's also marketed the drink to treat indigestion!

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Canwood is actually the nickname for the great Canadian comedian Bob “Canwood” Blathers. The nickname was derived from his extremely popular storytelling that debuted on the Hudson and Hudson Morning Noise. The stories centered around his ability to put a smile on his wife‘s face each morning.
He also had a very successful career as a session drummer and was the principle investor for Canwood drums.
He advised them against using the nickname as the company name, fearing backlash ... but he was outvoted.
The foundational stance taken by the other investors was a simple one ... Canwood is more palatable than Blathers Drums.

EDIT:
humor

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fibes got their name from the material they were using...Fiberglass

It's interesting that there are no consultants that help pick company and model names. My employer was recently spun off by a larger company...we (the big we, not me) hired a consultant...they found a name that upper management liked but forgot to research 2 things. If the URL was available (it wasn't) and how much toner our printers would go thru printing our new logo w/a costly shade of green.

Indie Drums and my friends brewery (Independent Fermentations) both got their name as a nod to Independent Fabrications...a bike parts maker

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When starting a business in the U.S., using your personal name has many advantages, such as not needing to file a DBA. Sure if you're a big company, those things don't matter, but most businesses start small. Perhaps the same legal advantages don't exist in other countries.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And then there's Mapex, which no one seems to like (the name, that is -- not the drums they make)

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting, I hadn’t thought about it.
On top of things others mentioned, part of it could be related to individualism in the US as well. I have lived in 3 continents but I noticed people using the word “I” in the US the most, they express what they have done, what they like, what they prefer, what they think , without even anyone asking. It was very weird to me when I first moved to the US but got used to it.
I have also noticed lots of stores have the name of the owner with the possessive “s”. I may be totally wrong but this is just an observation that I have made and something I have experienced and don’t find anything wrong the way it is, just an observation.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mapex and Dixon are Chinese, not Japanese.

When Mapex launched in the US (I believe in 1989) I believe they touted their shells as being a blend of maple and something else, mahogany maybe. So I assume the "Mape" in Mapex is for maple, though in the beginning, their drums were considered low-end and didn't sound nearly as good as the high end maple drums of that time.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here are some American Drum brand names that have appeared through the years:

1710 Percussion – 651 - A & F – A & S - Acclaim – Acoutin Custom - Aha – AJP Custom Drums - Alesis - Allegra – Allegretti – Ancient Tree – Anchor - Argent - Artisan - Ascend – A&S Custom Drums - BBC - Baltimore Drum - Barry – Barton - Battlefield - Bearing Edge – Beier - Bellwether - Beni – Big Brew Custom Drums - Billy Gladstone – Bison – Black Label - BlackSwamp - Blaemire – Bom-Bee – Boogie Woodie - Boom Alley - Boom Theory – Bower – Bowie Custom Drum – Brass Ball - BucketDrums - Bucks County Drum Co. – Buddy Rich – Buescher - Buzin - C&C – Calderwood Percussion - Camco – Cecilio - Charles A. Stromberg & Son - Chop Shop - Clevelander – Cocktail Drumsets - Collarlock – Collin - Conn – Conaway - Cooperman - Corder – Cosmic Percussion - Craviotto – Crush - Curry - D’amico - Darwin – DConway – DeFOE - Desert Angel – Diamond* (also Japan)* – DMR - Dodge – Donaho – Dove Percussion - Drum City - Drum Solo - Duplex – DW – Dynamic Percussion - Dynamicx - Dynasty – Eames – Ego - EHC-DRUMS - Ellis – Elm - Elyers – Empire – ErgoSonic - Erie - Eugene Geisler & Co. – Exo – Famous Drum Company - Fever - Fibes – Firchie - Flat Jacks – Ford - Fortune - Frank Wolf – Frondelli USA – Fugate - Garcia - George B. Stone & Son – Geo. Way – Gladstone – GLC - GMS - Gon Bops – Great Lakes Drum Company - Green Mountain - Gretsch – Grover - Hard Bop – Hart – HD Custom Drums - Head – HHG - Hillbilly - Hinger – Impact – ID (aka Innovation) – INDe - Infinity – Java – JC’s Custom Drums - Jerry Garcia – Jen-Co – Jenkins Martin - J. W. Pepper – JC – Jon Cross - Joseph Rogers Jr. & Son, Joseph Rogers, Inc. - Joshua Tree - Joyful Noise – Joyous Lake - Kalashen – Kansas City Drumworks - Kenner - Kent – Kent Custom Drums – Klash - L&S – Lang - Leedy – Leedy & Ludwig – Leedy & Strupe – Legend - Leroy Bates – Longo – Louson Drums - LP - Ludwig - Ludwig & Ludwig – Lyon & Healy – M4 - Maestro Swing Master (Detroit) - Magstar - Mapleworks - Maryland – Mattoon - Maxwell – Mayer Bros. – MDK – Medicine Man – Medieval Custom Drums – Mendini - Merrick - Metropolitan - Migerian - Miller - Modern Drum Shop – Modern Vintage - Molecules – Montineri - Mullins –Nickelworks - Noble & Cooley – Nokes & Nicolai (Nikolai) – North – Northeast - Noteworthy - OCDP – Oliver Ditson – Oregon Drum - Orlich – Orybon – Outlaw Drums - P. Ellis – Pacific – Paiste – Palmetto – Parish – Parton Drum Works - Payne - PDP - Percussion - Peavy – Pelfrey Drum Works - Percussion Kus-toms - Perfection – Pfeifer - Phattie – Phoenix - Pintech – PJL - Pork Pie - Precision – Predator Percussion - PT – Purecussion – Q Drums, Co. – Queen City - Radio King – RatTrap – RBH - Remo – Resurrection – Rettberg & Lange - RhythmPro – Rhythm Tech - Riolo – Risen – Rock - Rock City - Rocket Shells – Rockett - Rockwood – Rockland - Rogers – Roland – Salem St. Drum Co. – Sawtooth - SF Drum Co. - Sherwood – Shine – Shug - Sigler - Silverfox – Sistek – Six Gun - SJC - Slingerland – Smith – Smoothie Products - Soistman – Solid – Solo – Spaun – Square Drum Co. – Star – Stauffer – Stingray - Stone & Sons - SunLuck - Symphonic Percussion – Syndrum - Taye – The Modern Drum Shop – Thrust - Thumper – TP – Tremont Drums - Trick – Truth – Twin Cities - Valje - VertDrums – Vex - Vic Firth – Wail City - Walberg & Auge – WFL - Whitney – Willoughby - WilloughCraft – Wilson Brothers – Wilson Customs - Witt Percussion – Wittman Stave Drums – Woodland Percussion - Woodwizard - Wurlitzer – Zickos - Zildjian

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some American Drum brand names that have appeared through the years:

1710 Percussion – 651 - A & F – A & S - Acclaim – Acoutin Custom - Aha – AJP Custom Drums - Alesis - Allegra – Allegretti – Ancient Tree – Anchor - Argent - Artisan - Ascend – A&S Custom Drums - BBC - Baltimore Drum - Barry – Barton - Battlefield - Bearing Edge – Beier - Bellwether - Beni – Big Brew Custom Drums - Billy Gladstone – Bison – Black Label - BlackSwamp - Blaemire – Bom-Bee – Boogie Woodie - Boom Alley - Boom Theory – Bower – Bowie Custom Drum – Brass Ball - BucketDrums - Bucks County Drum Co. – Buddy Rich – Buescher - Buzin - C&C – Calderwood Percussion - Camco – Cecilio - Charles A. Stromberg & Son - Chop Shop - Clevelander – Cocktail Drumsets - Collarlock – Collin - Conn – Conaway - Cooperman - Corder – Cosmic Percussion - Craviotto – Crush - Curry - D’amico - Darwin – DConway – DeFOE - Desert Angel – Diamond* (also Japan)* – DMR - Dodge – Donaho – Dove Percussion - Drum City - Drum Solo - Duplex – DW – Dynamic Percussion - Dynamicx - Dynasty – Eames – Ego - EHC-DRUMS - Ellis – Elm - Elyers – Empire – ErgoSonic - Erie - Eugene Geisler & Co. – Exo – Famous Drum Company - Fever - Fibes – Firchie - Flat Jacks – Ford - Fortune - Frank Wolf – Frondelli USA – Fugate - Garcia - George B. Stone & Son – Geo. Way – Gladstone – GLC - GMS - Gon Bops – Great Lakes Drum Company - Green Mountain - Gretsch – Grover - Hard Bop – Hart – HD Custom Drums - Head – HHG - Hillbilly - Hinger – Impact – ID (aka Innovation) – INDe - Infinity – Java – JC’s Custom Drums - Jerry Garcia – Jen-Co – Jenkins Martin - J. W. Pepper – JC – Jon Cross - Joseph Rogers Jr. & Son, Joseph Rogers, Inc. - Joshua Tree - Joyful Noise – Joyous Lake - Kalashen – Kansas City Drumworks - Kenner - Kent – Kent Custom Drums – Klash - L&S – Lang - Leedy – Leedy & Ludwig – Leedy & Strupe – Legend - Leroy Bates – Longo – Louson Drums - LP - Ludwig - Ludwig & Ludwig – Lyon & Healy – M4 - Maestro Swing Master (Detroit) - Magstar - Mapleworks - Maryland – Mattoon - Maxwell – Mayer Bros. – MDK – Medicine Man – Medieval Custom Drums – Mendini - Merrick - Metropolitan - Migerian - Miller - Modern Drum Shop – Modern Vintage - Molecules – Montineri - Mullins –Nickelworks - Noble & Cooley – Nokes & Nicolai (Nikolai) – North – Northeast - Noteworthy - OCDP – Oliver Ditson – Oregon Drum - Orlich – Orybon – Outlaw Drums - P. Ellis – Pacific – Paiste – Palmetto – Parish – Parton Drum Works - Payne - PDP - Percussion - Peavy – Pelfrey Drum Works - Percussion Kus-toms - Perfection – Pfeifer - Phattie – Phoenix - Pintech – PJL - Pork Pie - Precision – Predator Percussion - PT – Purecussion – Q Drums, Co. – Queen City - Radio King – RatTrap – RBH - Remo – Resurrection – Rettberg & Lange - RhythmPro – Rhythm Tech - Riolo – Risen – Rock - Rock City - Rocket Shells – Rockett - Rockwood – Rockland - Rogers – Roland – Salem St. Drum Co. – Sawtooth - SF Drum Co. - Sherwood – Shine – Shug - Sigler - Silverfox – Sistek – Six Gun - SJC - Slingerland – Smith – Smoothie Products - Soistman – Solid – Solo – Spaun – Square Drum Co. – Star – Stauffer – Stingray - Stone & Sons - SunLuck - Symphonic Percussion – Syndrum - Taye – The Modern Drum Shop – Thrust - Thumper – TP – Tremont Drums - Trick – Truth – Twin Cities - Valje - VertDrums – Vex - Vic Firth – Wail City - Walberg & Auge – WFL - Whitney – Willoughby - WilloughCraft – Wilson Brothers – Wilson Customs - Witt Percussion – Wittman Stave Drums – Woodland Percussion - Woodwizard - Wurlitzer – Zickos - Zildjian
Although Zildjian cymbals are being made in the USA, I wouldn’t call Zildjian an American drum brand name. Zildjian was already making cymbals in Turkey before Avedis III listened to his uncle, went back to Turkey, learned the art, and started the business in the US around 1928. The name “Zildjian” is a mix of Turkish and Armenian.
not sure about the history of other brands...

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Canopus seems to be an odd one, as it is the name of a star , known as the "Old man of the south pole" to the Chinese and Japanese.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Although Zildjian cymbals are being made in the USA, I wouldn’t call Zildjian an American drum brand name. Zildjian was already making cymbals in Turkey before Avedis III listened to his uncle, went back to Turkey, learned the art, and started the business in the US around 1928. The name “Zildjian” is a mix of Turkish and Armenian.
not sure about the history of other brands...
I was referring to Zildjian drums, not cymbals. As I understand it they made drums in the USA which would make them an American brand name.
zildjian.jpg

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And then there's Mapex, which no one seems to like (the name, that is -- not the drums they make)
I heard it was derived from Tampax...don't know anymore details.
Don't want to

ToBBa

Reaction score
Alot of the older British drum companies also use surname or family names like:
Dallas
Arbiter
J. Grey & sons
Boosey & Hawkes
Deans & son