Drum Confessions Thread

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to play the drums in school band, but was told I was too small (I was crushed). So I played the flute. I'm glad I learned, and I became first chair, but I'm still kinda pissed. LOL!

I'm not a Beatles or Rush fan, and I've never cared for the Ringo finish. But I do like butcher block. Go figure.
Add me to the mix on not being a Rush fan. Mahogany Rush, YES! Lee's vocal was as irritating as the proverbial chalkboard on steroids. It really drove me away from the band at the get-go. I always took Rush as a top-tier band being too cheap to hire on a worthy singer. No thanks! I'd rather listen to my brother's Jeep's water-pump giving up the ghost.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add me to the mix on not being a Rush fan. Mahogany Rush, YES! Lee's vocal was as irritating as the proverbial chalkboard on steroids. It really drove me away from the band at the get-go. I always took Rush as a top-tier band being too cheap to hire on a worthy singer. No thanks! I'd rather listen to my brother's Jeep's water-pump giving up the ghost.
Heck , I love Geddys voice . Especially the early stuff ….

BobDrummer

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new high end drum kit just for me. It will probably never leave the house as I’m not in a band. Would love to be in one but don’t want to play the predominant musical style here (the blues.)

I also love NP’s planned and orchestrated parts. Probably why I prefer classical music over most jazz. Al the different planned parts coming together to serve the big picture. Every note is there for a reason.

I love big kits with wood finish. Sparkle wraps look great under the lights but I just love the natural beauty of wood.

I’ll leave my secret decoder ring at the door.

IJR

Reaction score
In my early drumming days I acquired a nice tambourine with a hyde head.

I 'fixed it' by cutting the head out and later ripped the jingles out to make other things.

(Please don't tell the Brazilians or the Southern Baptists).

I'll listen to ten Mr Tamborine Mans as my penance for this confession.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new high end drum kit just for me. It will probably never leave the house as I’m not in a band. Would love to be in one but don’t want to play the predominant musical style here (the blues.)

I also love NP’s planned and orchestrated parts. Probably why I prefer classical music over most jazz. Al the different planned parts coming together to serve the big picture. Every note is there for a reason.

I love big kits with wood finish. Sparkle wraps look great under the lights but I just love the natural beauty of wood.

I’ll leave my secret decoder ring at the door.
I fail to see anything shameful here …

Bloooze gigs , yukk !!!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey David, actually Weckl was cool. He basically told me without saying it aloud that a shuffle is so foundational...so basic...that I should have had it locked in given my age and playing experience. After spending that day with him and also being part of his online school, I can report that he spends a lot of time and attention helping each student grasp his concepts, and really cares about helping people get better. If you want to learn, he'll give you the goods. And if you neglect something really basic, he's gonna give you a look that says, 'You've got work to do, pal'.

So this is really more about my own sins:
a) never bothering to learn a basic groove/feel
b) not delivering on a basic groove in front of an undisputably great drummer and 30 peers, and then still not working on it after such a harrowing experience. Perhaps I am scarred for life. Or lazy. There's that too.
I’ve read a few posts on DFO lately by players having difficulty with shuffles.

Learning this technique may be the solution:

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Geddy Lee & John Paul Jones are/were the best musicians in their respective bands.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my early drumming days I acquired a nice tambourine with a hyde head.

I 'fixed it' by cutting the head out and later ripped the jingles out to make other things.

(Please don't tell the Brazilians or the Southern Baptists).

I'll listen to ten Mr Tamborine Mans as my penance for this confession.
As long as you didn't let the singer get their hands on it all is forgiven.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the high levels of narcissism in social media drummers really bother me although it shouldn’t.
Also I’ve sniff tested my throne before
Long ago I learned that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, the one thing I do NOT want to come back as is my drum throne!