Drum Confessions Thread

Stalky55

Reaction score
Never learnt how to play a paradiddle! However it turns out I do regularly play one between my snare and kick drum accidentally.
Despite that I still managed several years as a full time professional drummer over 50+ years of playing.

Ralph27

Reaction score
The sin of Pride- the only reason my band mates sound good is because of me. It's never the other way around!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is anonymous, right? haha

Ok, stand back...

1. I buy drum instruction books and it feels amazing – like I'm one step closer to being a better player with every purchase. However, I rarely get past page one and now there's a 100lbs stack of them lying neglected beside my kit. But if another cool looking book comes out...I'M GETTING IT!
1b. Same with instructional videos and subscriptions - I love watching them, but don't apply a dang thing...
2. I still use a baby gate to secure the perimeter of my drums even though my kids can now hurdle over it.
3. My pandemic depression management technique was to allow for EPIC GAS to set in...to the tune of about 50 snare drums that are now stuffed into every available corner of the house.
4. I love jazz and have an intense collection of jazz records on vinyl. But I can't play the jazz ride pattern with any kind of comping at all...it would take me a day to learn the basics...but to this day...haven't got around to it.
5. I can't play a shuffle...I hate playing shuffles (even though they comprise practically 50% of all grooves ever). When I went to a Drum Camp hosted by Dave Weckl (and other big name drummers), he had each of us come up and play across from him. He'd lay down a tom groove and we had to play along. Some guys got to play straight-ahead 8th note grooves. He gave me a shuffle...and it was so bad he stopped playing but told me to keep going. He just stared cockeyed at my heinous lumbering shuffle attempt for another minute trying to figure out how to help me - longest minute of my life – and then told me to stop...just stop. And I had to go sit down again in front of 30 other drummers. There was an eleven year old kid who got up after me and nailed a solid shuffle. Weckl looked back at me (then in my late 30's) with an expression that said, "Man, that's gotta be embarrassing for you." ...and to this day, I still haven't bothered to play a shuffle. NOTE: Weckl was not mean about it, just factual - he gave me a look that told me I had some work to do to catch up with everyone else. After that camp, I signed up for his online classes. He's an excellent teacher and in a day he literally fixed my hand technique, foot technique, posture and kit set-up issues. So yeah, he's awesome. Me? Not so much.
6. I LOVE the sound of distorted drums - in fact, i created a whole youtube channel devoted to exploring the sounds of guitar pedals on acoustic drums (Drums FX Pedals) where I absolutely crush my beautiful drum and cymbal tones with walls of fuzz, harsh distortion, and screechy madness. It's so abusive to the musical tones of the instruments that they are barely recognizable anymore – I may as well be hitting the inside of an empty dumpster with a crowbar. But I love it and will do it again without remorse.

I could go on...
That's the grandaddy of all drum confessions there, bud. You win!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hate the look of Black Oyster Pearl wrap! I've tried to find some appreciation for it and just haven't been able to! I have never seen a kit made by any manufacturer with BOP wrap that made me go wow, I could live with that!
I will take that one step further. I don't do wraps period.

Cpb282

Reaction score
I’ve never played the drums. Nor do I intend to. Yet here I am.
So that you don’t all think I’m nuts (I am; I just don’t want you to think so), my oldest plays the drums in a sibling band. So I was tasked with learning things like hot to mic drums, how to cut a new bearing edge, what gigging kit to get, etc.

So there’s at least “some” rationale for my presence.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that you don’t all think I’m nuts (I am; I just don’t want you to think so), my oldest plays the drums in a sibling band. So I was tasked with learning things like hot to mic drums, how to cut a new bearing edge, what gigging kit to get, etc.

So there’s at least “some” rationale for my presence.
I think we all might be surprised at the number of people here who don't even play.

Cpb282

Reaction score
I think we all might be surprised at the number of people here who don't even play.
I figured I was the only imposter, but maybe there’s more.

I feared that I’d be the weak link in supporting my kids coming from a horns background (25 years ago), so I had to take a crash course in being a roadie, financier, luthier, audio engineer, etc. I’m pretty sure I indeed am the weak link, but not for lack of trying!

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have sometimes entertained the ludicrous notion that I might possibly be spending too much of my personal wealth and time buying and obsessing over ride cymbals.
That's what I did this past year recently taking an interest in all things Paiste. The mortgage and everything gets paid of course but it has finally calmed down. Just enjoy the ride(s)! :)

jbormann

Reaction score
I never learned a thing about the my drums (head choices, bearing edges, cymbal alloys, etc.) for the first 6 or 7 years. Only playing metal to a bunch of drunk ppl in a friend's garage I never really needed to...