header.nohb.html

Drum Confessions Thread

gra7

Reaction score
My confession is I threw out the George Lawrence Stone "Stick Control" book in the late 1980s. I was at that time very frustrated with different drum teachers interpretations of it and not owning it removed that issue. I still don't own the book, but instead have two Joel Rothman books which I think for me are a much better choice of book.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know what he's doing..

there.
Snare drum's at 16:
He's documented electronically the orchestra.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Hello, my name is.....
I can't find 1 either, and I absolutely don't count while I play it booboos everything up.
After playing for about 40 years I realized that my left side sucked at everything, I setup my set so the hi-hat was in the middle, got a double-bass pedal so both feet could play, set up a 2nd ride for the left hand and started teaching myself to be independent. Wow was that hard!! But now strangely enough sometimes the left side is more competent than the right. Only took 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thinkwriter

Reaction score
Started drumming for atypical reasons, and I feel "inadequate" in these forums. I'd like to share my situation though.

Learned to play not to play real gigs. Just wanted to jam out with friends in an all-acoustic setup (and record parts for songs I write). At least that's how I imagined using whatever skill I've developed, but in 4 years teaching myself on my cheap e-drum, I've never had a chance to jam with another human being.

I assembled an acoustic kit, which is more of a I-don't-want-a-cajon kit. I'd bet good money no drum kit you've seen is as minimalist (10" hats, Farmer Stomp drum, 10" single-head snare mounted to a Tama flat-based hihat stand, DW claw to mount a splash (planning on changing this to a small but actual crash). I even got a matching Tama Classic kick pedal so as to height adjust to the small drum.

It's oddly obsessive I know, but I even got a small but really nice acoustic bass to pair with the drums and my Taylor Mini. Now I just need to find fellow humans.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to gang up on you, but what's wrong with piccolo snares? They sound great for funk and R&B and even some rock. I love my piccolo, and it gets a lot of playing time.
Found a Tama brass shelled piccolo among my long deceased brother's collection. That hockey-puck drum can sing! I've used it as a second snare and for light lounge jazz gigs. Takes beautifully to cross-sticking and rimshots with the tapered shoulder a few inches from the bead. Sweet!

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Started drumming for atypical reasons, and I feel "inadequate" in these forums. I'd like to share my situation though.

Learned to play not to play real gigs. Just wanted to jam out with friends in an all-acoustic setup (and record parts for songs I write). At least that's how I imagined using whatever skill I've developed, but in 4 years teaching myself on my cheap e-drum, I've never had a chance to jam with another human being.

I assembled an acoustic kit, which is more of a I-don't-want-a-cajon kit. I'd bet good money no drum kit you've seen is as minimalist (10" hats, Farmer Stomp drum, 10" single-head snare mounted to a Tama flat-based hihat stand, DW claw to mount a splash (planning on changing this to a small but actual crash). I even got a matching Tama Classic kick pedal so as to height adjust to the small drum.

It's oddly obsessive I know, but I even got a small but really nice acoustic bass to pair with the drums and my Taylor Mini. Now I just need to find fellow humans.
As long as you’re hitting things to make sounds that are cool to you, you’re in the right place. No need to feel inadequate. The minimalist kit sounds pretty fun but you should add one statement piece to keep people guessing, maybe a single timpani

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what he's doing..

there.
Snare drum's at 16:
He's documented electronically the orchestra.
He's demo-ing the percussion section of the virtual BBC Symphony Orchestra program for your DAW. Quite realistic sounding, if you ask me.

Reactions: JDA

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoss why has he and what will he do with or what follows
Although you may not realize it, much (if not most) of the symphony orchestra parts you hear nowadays in film and TV scores, commercials, and of course on pop songs aren't played by real live orchestras at all, they're created using sample-based 'virtual' orchestra programs like this that work with digital audio workstations and are controlled by a MIDI keyboard.

The video in question is a demo video of the various percussion instruments available, and the amount of control the user has over how they can be played (single snare drum hits, snare rolls, tam-tam wide open, tam-tam muffled, tympani rolls and single strokes with soft mallets, with hard mallets, with Hot Rods, etc) and the amount of control the user has over how each instrument sounds (it looks like there are 11 different mic technique options available just for the harp). For its thousand-dollar price tag I would expect nothing less.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although you may not realize it, much (if not most) of the symphony orchestra parts you hear nowadays in film and TV scores, commercials, and of course on pop songs aren't played by real live orchestras at all, they're created using sample-based 'virtual' orchestra programs like this that work with digital audio workstations and are controlled by a MIDI keyboard.

The video in question is a demo video of the various percussion instruments available, and the amount of control the user has over how they can be played (single snare drum hits, snare rolls, tam-tam wide open, tam-tam muffled, tympani rolls and single strokes with soft mallets, with hard mallets, with Hot Rods, etc) and the amount of control the user has over how each instrument sounds (it looks like there are 11 different mic technique options available just for the harp). For its thousand-dollar price tag I would expect nothing less.
Yeah, my brother is a producer and film scrorer/composer.. He's got soundbanks that he can tweak via an expression gizmo wich is a motion detector so he waves his hand in various motion to generate swells and other expressions. He looks like a cross between a conductor and a theremin player while doing it, but the results are astoundingly "human" and realistic. I swear if you aren't a die-hard Classical afficionado and connoisseur, you couldn't tell that it wasn't played by a real orchestra.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
A Gretsch Catalina maple is my "main kit". I love the way it looks and sounds. I paid some peanuts for it used and cleaned it up. It's light. Sexy. Sounds amazing to me. I'm so sorry.

Plus I kinda suck at playing drums. I focus more on groove and vibe than on technique.

This is so humiliating.

Oh God.

I only have 3 pairs of hi hats.

My largest crash cymbal is 16".

I can barely say it...my largest floor Tom is only 14" in diameter. Oh God...I'm so sorry. I literally don't like 16" floor toms. I know. I know.

I literally never liked the drumming of Neil Peart. RIP. I do respect, but never have enjoyed.

Well I've gone this far...

I don't like the 4 piece one up one down configuration. I mean, I use it sometimes for small gigs, but I kinda hate it. I want at least 2 toms up there. And speaking of which...

I've been spending a lot of time with... please don't judge me...an 8" Tom.

Yes. It's a Catalina maple. From that budget branch of the Gretsch family.

I know. My drums should be bigger and more expensive, but that Gretsch Cat...it just does something to me in my nether regions...makes me feel so...alive! It's something I just can't explain. And I like it.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Gretsch Catalina maple is my "main kit". I love the way it looks and sounds. I paid some peanuts for it used and cleaned it up. It's light. Sexy. Sounds amazing to me. I'm so sorry.

Plus I kinda suck at playing drums. I focus more on groove and vibe than on technique.

This is so humiliating.

Oh God.

I only have 3 pairs of hi hats.

My largest crash cymbal is 16".

I can barely say it...my largest floor Tom is only 14" in diameter. Oh God...I'm so sorry. I literally don't like 16" floor toms. I know. I know.

I literally never liked the drumming of Neil Peart. RIP. I do respect, but never have enjoyed.

Well I've gone this far...

I don't like the 4 piece one up one down configuration. I mean, I use it sometimes for small gigs, but I kinda hate it. I want at least 2 toms up there. And speaking of which...

I've been spending a lot of time with... please don't judge me...an 8" Tom.

Yes. It's a Catalina maple. From that budget branch of the Gretsch family.

I know. My drums should be bigger and more expensive, but that Gretsch Cat...it just does something to me in my nether regions...makes me feel so...alive! It's something I just can't explain. And I like it.
Well you're a Cat person... Just don't go marrying a crazy Cat lady and you'll be fine ;-)