Drum Confessions Thread

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I can't stand Led Zeppelin, but everywhere I try to go it seems that Bonham cat was there first.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
In 1989, I passed on a MINT condition 1968 20,12,14, matching wood snare Gretsch Round Badge Burgundy Sparkle kit with original heads, hardware, original drum bags, and era matching Zildjian cymbal set from the original owner who played them for a year and then stored them in his closet for the next 20 years. He wanted $300 for everything and I offered him $250...he wouldn't budge, so I walked. The week before, I bought a 1969 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Big Beat Five Piece 22,12,13,16 with a 5x14 supra phonic snare with hardware for $250. Every shell was stamped 1969 ( can't remember the exact date) and the drums also had the original heads, virtually never played in MINT condition.
At that time, these gems seemed to be everywhere. We had a local Trader/Swap newspaper that everyone used to list things for sale. It would come out on Thursday night and Friday morning you went hunting. Ah...those were the days.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Late 80’s fresh outta high school I get my first gig as opening spot for a then National act, Molly Hatchet.
We open with Born to be Wild. I’m so nervous I do the ‘big ending’ at the end of the first chorus, completely lost where I was.
The band turns around horrified and announces to the crowd, “there you go, the worlds shortest version of Born to Be Wild!l
Second song is ‘Too Rolling Stoned’ by Robin Trower.
I count us in.
Tempo is supposed to be about 125.
I count in at closer to 175.
Guitarist is playing like we are the Chipmonks to keep up.
I still cringe just typing this.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to love Prog and hate Country; now I hate Prog and love Country.

Right now, after tonight’s reheasal, my favorite drum is my Roland SPD One Electro.

I really don’t ever want to play in another band that doesn’t have at least one female bandmate.

This is true for about two thirds of the bands I’ve played in: If I walked into a bar, and that band was playing, I’d probably just leave. This is an admission of a bit of self loathing. But, man, that other third! That’s why I keep playing.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
1. I can't read music, and don't plan on learning any time soon.

2. I abused a 60's RB Gretsch kit as a teenager.

3. I removed the parallel snare system from a Rogers Dynasonic as a teenager, just couldn't figure it out.

4. I held down the beat in my high school band while having my left butt cheek grabbed by an older boy for a whole song. He enjoyed it and thought it was funny, I did not.

5. Most of my favourite music to listen to has no drums in it.

I'm finally gonna sleep well tonight, thanks everybody!

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not very long ago I listened to some Led Zeppelin on youtube in an effort to understand what you're talking about.

As far as I know, I have never listened to Rush.

I never got the Beatles.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1. I once owned a '60's Black Marine Pearl Ludwig kit, 4 piece, that came with an unknown metal snare and 3 cymbals I now know to have been '50's, possibly trans stamps. Bought it from a guy in SF for $400 in the early '70's. I then traded it, straight across, for a student saxophone because my wife decided she would like to try to learn, and the drums hadn't been played for months.

2. In my youth, when everyone else was learning to play guitar and drums, I was taking accordion lessons. I took those lessons for 9 years, until I could proficiently play, from memory, Pietro Frosini's classical piece, "The Jolly Caballero", at which point I defiantly refused to continue because I wanted to be a drummer in a rock band. I never took a single drum lesson and...

3.... to this day I cannot play a decent paradiddle. I assume this is the universe punishing me for spending all that time learning the accordion. Which I also can no longer play.

4. Wait... should that last one go in the "Accordion Confessions" thread?