header.nohb.html

Drum Dial versus Tune Bot

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For those that have tried both the Drum Dial and the Tune Bot which one do you like better, and why?

rsmittee

Reaction score
Used the drum dial for years to get me close. It does a great job of getting each lug in tune with itself. But it doesn't give me pitches or intervals. I prefer the tune-bot largely because it tunes to pitches and intervals, which makes the drums really sing. After playing around with it a lot, I get the sounds I want much more consistently than with the drum dial or by ear. Both tools have bailed me out when I run into a stubborn head/drum that just won't cooperate, but I reach for the tune-bot over the drum dial 100% of the time now.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used the drum dial for years to get me close. It does a great job of getting each lug in tune with itself. But it doesn't give me pitches or intervals. I prefer the tune-bot largely because it tunes to pitches and intervals, which makes the drums really sing. After playing around with it a lot, I get the sounds I want much more consistently than with the drum dial or by ear. Both tools have bailed me out when I run into a stubborn head/drum that just won't cooperate, but I reach for the tune-bot over the drum dial 100% of the time now.
Do you use the TB on the snare side head?

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find both are great, and I use them for different purposes.

I use the drum dial with a new head, as i find seating the head evenly to be a very important. So I get everything up to my “go to” starting numbers with the drum dial, and then fine tune with the tunebot. Once a head is on there, it’s usually only tunebot from there, unless I am having an issue getting a sound from a head.

I have found the tunebot not as great at getting a truly even sound with a brand new head.

I also prefer to use the drum dial on the bottom primary. I still get the bottom head to a reference pitch that I check with the tunebot, but I have found fine tuning each lug on the snare side head with the tunebot to be counterproductive.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have. At least I’ve tried. The tune bot freaks out when the tension is that high. I try to get mine in the high 300s, so I tap around until I can get the Tune Bot to get a good reading on one lug and then just tune by ear for the rest. At that point most of the lugs are going to be tuned tight so there’s no point in measuring each one. I even have trouble on the batter side sometimes.

I only have the TB Gig. Maybe the Studio is better at tuning a snare since it has the filter button.

Tony_H

Reaction score
I've tried using my Drum Dial for years but for some reason could never really appreciate it. Once I tried the TuneBot I pretty much relegated the DrumDial to the shelf.

I am sure there are plenty of uses where the DrumDial is more efficient or better fit for the task of tuning, I just never found them.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have. At least I’ve tried. The tune bot freaks out when the tension is that high. I try to get mine in the high 300s, so I tap around until I can get the Tune Bot to get a good reading on one lug and then just tune by ear for the rest. At that point most of the lugs are going to be tuned tight so there’s no point in measuring each one. I even have trouble on the batter side sometimes.

I only have the TB Gig. Maybe the Studio is better at tuning a snare since it has the filter button.
I’ve only had the Studio version and that filter button comes in handy sometimes. I’ve been using the Drumdial only on my snares lately and yesterday I used it on the SS head and the Tunebot on top. The drumdial is easier to use on the SS head because you don’t have to mess with the snare wires and you don’t get those weird readings. Also, I have a number I’ve been sticking to on the Drumdial for the SS head that will ensure the head doesn’t get overstretched. I haven’t been tuning that head to the high 300s anymore on the TB.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve only had the Studio version and that filter button comes in handy sometimes. I’ve been using the Drumdial only on my snares lately and yesterday I used it on the SS head and the Tunebot on top. The drumdial is easier to use on the SS head because you don’t have to mess with the snare wires and you don’t get those weird readings. Also, I have a number I’ve been sticking to on the Drumdial for the SS head that will ensure the head doesn’t get overstretched. I haven’t been tuning that head to the high 300s anymore on the TB.
I, like johngault007 above, could never get a handle on the Drum Dial and it has sat on the shelf since I got the TB. Sounds like I should give the Drum Dial a go on the snare side and see if I get better results.

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve used both several times and didn’t really care for them. But they’re really good and they should do the job for you.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I, like johngault007 above, could never get a handle on the Drum Dial and it has sat on the shelf since I got the TB. Sounds like I should give the Drum Dial a go on the snare side and see if I get better results.
Give it another shot and watch this video from Drumdial. Around the 1:00 mark, he talks about measuring outside the snare beds which is important

Tony_H

Reaction score
Give it another shot and watch this video from Drumdial. Around the 1:00 mark, he talks about measuring outside the snare beds which is important
Yeah, I think using it on SS could be a great option. I always battle with the higher tensions on the SS with the TuneBot, but somehow eventually get it close. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Slingerland3ply

Reaction score
I have a drum dial and use it on both sides of the snare and toms . The Toms really sing.
I don’t have a tune bot but I have an app for my iPhone that works ok .I haven’t used the app much.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dial for me. Gets me in the ball park.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have both, I got the Drum dial first. It works but, for me there was always a lug that was kinda loose. I also didn't like the accuracy variance, it didn't give me a number that had meaning to me. I picked up the first version of Tune Bot and then the newer one as well ( I keep one in a gig bag) What I like about it is that it's faster for me to just clip it on and tune. The measurement in Hz or notes makes sense and a drum can be tuned within 1hz. The TB has alot of other features like saving kits/drums settings and online references etc. The Drum Dial has sat in a box now for years.... Just a few days ago I wanted to do a tuneup on my studio kit, I was able to get them all tuned differently than they had been tuned and sounding great in less than an hour, 3 toms and a snare top and bottom heads. It's a great tool!

rsmittee

Reaction score
I do! But I'm not as particular about getting each lug to the exact same pitch. With all the overtones it picks up, it's just not worth fussing with it. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I can't hear much difference once the head is that tight.

Side note: Blair Sinta had a guest on his recording drums podcast who used a drill with torque settings to tune his snare reso. I have the exact same drill, and on the lowest torque setting, it works perfectly on a few of my snares. I wish all tuning was that simple.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Studio Tune Bot last year and have barely used it , what’s a good resource to get started with it ?

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a TuneBot and have used it for years. There are a lot of things I like about it. However, if I’m rolling down the road with the band and we have to get in, set up, and sound check quickly the TuneBot isn’t always accurate for me when guitars and bass are playing around me as I try to set up. I’m thinking I could possibly record my settings from my TuneBot by seeing where everything is at on the Drum Dial then use it when I’m in situations with noise to make sure I’m tuned up and ready to go quickly.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Studio Tune Bot for me, or whatever version is the one with the snare side/high frequency option. I only use it to document nice tones, and it’s usually just for the pitches, not the actual Hz settings. Not to say the Hz settings don’t equate to the actual pitch, but, if I was playing live, it’s much easier to get or reference a G# for my snare side head.