header.nohb.html

Drum Dial versus Tune Bot

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always wondered if the digital Drumdial is better than the original one.
I’ve had my original for a long time and it will out live a digital Drumdial . Yes you have to look closer at the needle but less electronics means less complicated = longer life span .

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had my original for a long time and it will out live a digital Drumdial . Yes you have to look closer at the needle but less electronics means less complicated = longer life span .
Yeah I’ve had mine since the late 90s. The needle doesn’t rest on the “0” anymore but the owner told me it doesn’t have to. You just have to calibrate it every once in a while like it shows you in the video

Reactions: DBT

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Reactions: DBT

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
happiness is playing drums decades before the internet and powering right thru some of the weirdest hang ups I've ever heard

Last edited:

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find both are great, and I use them for different purposes.

I use the drum dial with a new head, as i find seating the head evenly to be a very important. So I get everything up to my “go to” starting numbers with the drum dial, and then fine tune with the tunebot. Once a head is on there, it’s usually only tunebot from there...
This pretty well sums up what I do too. I start out with finger tight on the lugs. Start bringing the pitch up a bit and matching lug pitches with my ears. Then I use the drum dial to get even tension on all the lugs. From there it's all TuneBot. This is, of course, on an established tuning. If I'm tuning new drums or trying a different tuning for the first time, it's more with my ears and then fine tune with the TuneBot. I love the way you can document everything, making it easy to go back to a preferred tuning.

With the snare side head, I make sure I've got an even height all the way around of the rim above the head first. Never used the drum dial on the snare side. I use the high frequency mode on the TuneBot to fine tune each lug but I'm not as picky about getting them as close because it's more difficult and you'll end up chasing your tail for little to no benefit. With my toms, BD, and snare batter heads, I get the lugs within 1/2 hz of each other. With the snare side, it's more like within 2 hz of each other. The high frequency mode (without looking) I believe is for pitches above 400hz. However, I find that once I'm getting close to 400hz (even if I'm still below it) I get better consistency with the high frequency mode. The two snares and tunings I have right now are as follows:

Tama Starphonic Bubinga - 325hz batter; 389hz snare side

Tama Peter Erskine Jazz Snare - 325hz batter; 340hz snare side

On both of these drums, the above tunings result in a fundamental pitch of 3rd octave G#.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This pretty well sums up what I do too. I start out with finger tight on the lugs. Start bringing the pitch up a bit and matching lug pitches with my ears. Then I use the drum dial to get even tension on all the lugs. From there it's all TuneBot. This is, of course, on an established tuning. If I'm tuning new drums or trying a different tuning for the first time, it's more with my ears and then fine tune with the TuneBot. I love the way you can document everything, making it easy to go back to a preferred tuning.

With the snare side head, I make sure I've got an even height all the way around of the rim above the head first. Never used the drum dial on the snare side. I use the high frequency mode on the TuneBot to fine tune each lug but I'm not as picky about getting them as close because it's more difficult and you'll end up chasing your tail for little to no benefit. With my toms, BD, and snare batter heads, I get the lugs within 1/2 hz of each other. With the snare side, it's more like within 2 hz of each other. The high frequency mode (without looking) I believe is for pitches above 400hz. However, I find that once I'm getting close to 400hz (even if I'm still below it) I get better consistency with the high frequency mode. The two snares and tunings I have right now are as follows:

Tama Starphonic Bubinga - 325hz batter; 389hz snare side

Tama Peter Erskine Jazz Snare - 325hz batter; 340hz snare side

On both of these drums, the above tunings result in a fundamental pitch of 3rd octave G#.
I’ve noticed when I’ve used my Drumdial to tune it has a different sound then the Tunebot. The last time I tuned my Yamaha brass snare with the Drumdial solely it had a more muffled sound but in a good way-a more controlled sound. It could be because the lugs closest to the snare beds end up being a little lower in pitch than when using the Tunebot so there’s less ring or something.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
people had less trouble tensioning drums
before the internet.
Had less trouble with drums period.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sorry this post triggered you....
no I feel bad for those that struggle needlessly
drums are not that complicated (From Jo Jones to Ian 70s Paice)
Seems the more "the knowledge" (via "internet" - the worse

I can't be triggered

Devices to tune drums? -the device- used to be your brain along with some common sense from Carl Palmer to Elvin Jones (heck Elvin let another tension them) . That what seems lost, is what saddens me.

Last edited:

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't be triggered

Devices to tune drums? -the device- used to be your brain along with some common sense from Carl Palmer to Elvin Jones (heck Elvin let another tension them) . That what seems lost, is what saddens me.
I do use my brain. To turn on and use the Tune Bot to tune my drums. Not sad about it at all.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I can't be triggered
Who said anyone struggles needlessly? There may be some of us who are constantly playing shows, only have 30-45 minutes to set up and sound check many times, and want to use tools to make sure we are tuned properly in that short amount of time - especially when we are tuning each head to specific notes. If you can nail each specific note in just a couple minutes time without using anything I'd sure like to see proof especially when you have to change the heads out before a soundcheck and show.

It seems like you're just stuck in your ways and aren't willing to consider tools that are helpful so you feel the need to make ignorant comments multiple times in the post while seeking some attention.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It seems like you're just stuck in your ways
my ways are the ways of guys that today guys look up to. all the old legends
seems too much - too many- today are bogged down in minutia
that have yet to advance or even maintain the art

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my ways are the ways of guys that today guys look up to.
seems too much - too many- are bogged down in minutia
Your ways are not the way pro drum techs are using on the road. Those guys are getting paid to do it using TuneBot's and Drum Dials while you sit on the internet being a boomer and getting upset because people aren't doing it your way.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like people who disavow Tune Bots probably still have maps in their glove boxes.
I normally don't engage ignorance like he is spewing, but he made multiple posts whining about people using useful tools so I decided to have at it for a few minutes. God forbid he ever use a GPS!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Your ways are not the way pro drum techs are using on the road.
yes. Pros no one's heard of for the most part compared to in the past
BUt it's not pro's it's amateurs struggling at home with devices I concern myself with

Name your legends; none used

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yes. Pros no one's heard of for the most part compared to in the past
More ignorance - especially considering I haven't named a single name. Sit down boomer and take your meds. You're in a thread that is way above your comprehension level.