header.nohb.html

Drum Dial versus Tune Bot

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In Joes defense, he’s certainly anything but “ ignorant “
Very true but this can make someone think that they know everything. Anyways, I wanted to mention to you guys that I saw somebody in a video say that when you put a head on a drum, keep the seam/line that’s on the head away from the lugs. So make sure you put the head on where that seam/line is between two lugs, not right on a lug because it can interfere with tuning. Makes sense.
457BA6DE-B95F-45DA-A4C5-502B949229A5.jpeg

rsmittee

Reaction score
Very true but this can make someone think that they know everything. Anyways, I wanted to mention to you guys that I saw somebody in a video say that when you put a head on a drum, keep the seam/line that’s on the head away from the lugs. So make sure you put the head on where that seam/line is between two lugs, not right on a lug because it can interfere with tuning. Makes sense. View attachment 578188
~But if the logo isn't in the right spot, it won't look cool!~

mfk252

Reaction score
I have both but tend to use the Drum Dial more often (albeit sparingly). If a tom stops singing (usually in a recording scenario when toms are tuned a little lower), I will quickly run around the edge of the drumhead to tell me which lug is detuned. I will get the tension number back up to match others and quickly finish tuning by ear. I do the same with the snare batter (especially the lugs closest to where the stick hits during louder playing if I'm not using lug locks). That way the snare sound doesn't change between takes.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I've said it before, but ... for those of us who didn't have our knuckles rapped with a 2B in 8th grade for the improper tempo or tuning... think of the Tunebot as a $70-100 (depending on model) Tuning Lesson in a box which you can repeat at will.

Tuning drums is not like tuning a strongly pitched instrument where most anyone who isn't 100% tone def can figure it out pretty quickly if you're sharp or flat. It's incredibly non-intuitive, and your ear can easily pick up on the wrong components.. is the lug sharp or flat? Oh I was listening to the low note not the ring... etc.. You definitely need to learn what to listen for when tuning drums, and that's really really hard for most folks.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The ignorant comment is in regards to him wanting to challenge me to show him where pro drummers and techs are using these tools while acting like I wouldn't know of any, then wanting to try to make snide remarks about people using tuning tools while coming back to say he uses a tuning tool. That was pure ignorance on his part.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent time with my tune bot last night after Joe got me fired up …….

Once I figured out how to use it …
I am very impressed with the results.
I could have never gotten them dialed in
Fifths on my own ……

It’s nice hearing a pure tone …and in fifths no less !!!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ignorant comment is in regards to him wanting to challenge me to show him where pro drummers and techs are using these tools while acting like I wouldn't know of any. That was pure ignorance on his part.
Well , as a general rule it’s not a good idea to call folks names either .
It shines a bad light on you more than them .
And it’s against forum rules to boot .

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.

Fifths on my own ……

Beauty of a kit in your profile picture!

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well , as a general rule it’s not a good idea to call folks names either .
It shines a bad light on you more than them .
And it’s against forum rules to boot .
It's probably against forum rules to troll a post with comments like he was making also. If he doesn't like how people do things differently than he does he can simply keep scrolling. I can promise you this, also; My inbox is full of people talking about how he acts on this board with many of them saying they have muted him because of the crap he posts. If he doesn't want to be called out for his comments he needs to quit issuing challenges to people he doesn't know who can prove him wrong. At the end of the day I wasn't calling him ignorant. I said his comments are ignorant. There is a difference.

Last edited:

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. Very knowledgeable and experienced guy. I always listen to what he says and often learn something. I don't completely agree with him in this particular case, but I always value his input.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably against forum rules to troll a post with comments like he was making also. If he doesn't like how people do things differently than he does he can simply keep scrolling. I can promise you this, also; My inbox is full of people talking about how he acts on this board with many of them saying they have muted him because of the crap he posts. If he doesn't want to be called out for his comments he needs to quit issuing challenges to people he doesn't know who can prove him wrong. At the end of the day I wasn't calling him ignorant. I said his comments are ignorant. There is a difference.
Nope , Joe broke no rules …
It’s not trolling to have a different opinion.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Original OP’s title says “ Drum Dial vs Digital Drum Dial “ not Tune Bot . I think everyone got a little out of bounds with their opinions . Ultimately it’s whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bad . I was reading two threads based on tuning devices at the same time . Apologies .

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Fifths on my own ……

That's kinda what I've found with the TuneBot. I basically tune by ear to get the pitches and intervals I want. If I'm retuning (after a head change or just tweaking it a bit), the TuneBot helps me get there faster because it gives me an exact number (frequency). But the real beauty of it to me is in getting all the lugs to match. The one thing I learned with the TuneBot is that my ears are actually pretty good. I can get the lugs to within +/- 2hz, pretty close to 1hz. With the TuneBot, I can get the lugs to within 1/2hz of each other. To my ear, the drum just comes into focus that much better when the lug pitch matching is that precise. It's kinda like when you go to the optometrist and he keeps asking you which one is better. Some of them are REALLY close and would be acceptable, but there's always that one that is just better than the others. Maybe this difference is more pronounced depending on the drums too? I can really hear it on my Starclassic Maples with the extremely focused and pure tone. My Tama Fat Spruce kit (with more overtones and not quite as focused), maybe not as much.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The other thing I'll say about the TuneBot is that there is a learning curve and some technique required. It still is subject to getting false readings, and you have to learn to recognize when this is happening. I've also found it helpful in reducing the false readings by putting a small piece of moon gel in the center of the head while tuning. That seems to give me more consistent readings at the lugs. It's also important to hit at the same dynamic when comparing the lug pitches... for example, a harder hit will produce a sightly higher pitch. And what you hit it with can make a difference as well. A tympani mallet is not quite focused enough. A wood stick tip doesn't produce the tone well enough. I bought a pair of those Vic Firth drum sticks with the felt tips. They're completely useless for playing anything (or at least I haven't found anything I would want to play with them), but they work great for tuning... so they are my "tuning sticks." lol

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing I'll say about the TuneBot is that there is a learning curve and some technique required. It still is subject to getting false readings, and you have to learn to recognize when this is happening. I've also found it helpful in reducing the false readings by putting a small piece of moon gel in the center of the head while tuning. That seems to give me more consistent readings at the lugs. It's also important to hit at the same dynamic when comparing the lug pitches... for example, a harder hit will produce a sightly higher pitch. And what you hit it with can make a difference as well. A tympani mallet is not quite focused enough. A wood stick tip doesn't produce the tone well enough. I bought a pair of those Vic Firth drum sticks with the felt tips. They're completely useless for playing anything (or at least I haven't found anything I would want to play with them), but they work great for tuning... so they are my "tuning sticks." lol
I almost threw mine in the trash last night I got so frustrated.
The videos on YouTube weren’t much help

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I've found with the TuneBot. I basically tune by ear to get the pitches and intervals I want. If I'm retuning (after a head change or just tweaking it a bit), the TuneBot helps me get there faster because it gives me an exact number (frequency). But the real beauty of it to me is in getting all the lugs to match. The one thing I learned with the TuneBot is that my ears are actually pretty good. I can get the lugs to within +/- 2hz, pretty close to 1hz. With the TuneBot, I can get the lugs to within 1/2hz of each other. To my ear, the drum just comes into focus that much better when the lug pitch matching is that precise. It's kinda like when you go to the optometrist and he keeps asking you which one is better. Some of them are REALLY close and would be acceptable, but there's always that one that is just better than the others. Maybe this difference is more pronounced depending on the drums too? I can really hear it on my Starclassic Maples with the extremely focused and pure tone. My Tama Fat Spruce kit (with more overtones and not quite as focused), maybe not as much.
That little extra fine tuning sure makes a difference……

It’s like Craviottos aren’t “ that “ much better sounding than my Fibes …
But that extra 10% sure is sweet ..

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I almost threw mine in the trash last night I got so frustrated.
The videos on YouTube weren’t much help
Yep. When it's all said and done, I'm not sure it's really that much of a time saver. But if you care about the better result and are willing to invest the time (and sometimes frustration) in getting that little extra awesomeness out of your drums, then it's worth it.