header.nohb.html

Drum Dial versus Tune Bot

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
More times than not I thought Buddys drums didn’t sound so good ….
I've noticed that several times. I mean his playing was brilliant and I ALWAYS enjoyed it. His snare always sounded great... but sometimes those toms (especially the mounted one) could be difficult to listen to and detracted from the performance. Still, you can take a few points away for drum tuning (err... "tensioning", sorry JDA) from one of Buddy's performances and he's still head and shoulders above anyone else! I do agree with JDA that playing ability is way more important than tuning ability!

Reactions: JDA

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
evidently so does pop drummers.
and those that aspire to be a pop drummer. It's big with them.
Huge. They even have devices.
Notes; secondary. Well 3 or 4 is ok.
Do you consider Dennis Chambers a "pop drummer?" He uses a TuneBot (or his drum tech does). What about Dave Weckl? He is known for being meticulous about tuning, mic'ing, and how his drums sound. The dedication to sound doesn't seem to get in the way of their playing...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had a Tama Watch since- well they first came out.
Don't mess with tuning all that often . Once big time then it lasts for decades; Unlike those traveling and changing heads often

Last edited:

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
pop drummers on board here; Really I don't care what any one does; each their own
I know. But I think it's actually a pretty good discussion worth having. Some of this stuff I'm just pulling your chain! I don't really consider myself a "pop drummer." Although I do play pop on some gigs. But I'd say I'm best at jazz. Swing specifically. Love playing standards! Yet I do care about how my drums and cymbals sound, even though like 95% of my focus is on my playing. Why not have your cake and eat it too? Yeah, I know you can get the sound you want without any devices. I can too. I just find that I get a somewhat better sound by being a bit more precise via use of the TuneBot. I'm willing to some extra time and go to that extra effort. Like you said, "each their own." So I don't think it's bad that I do that. It's not for you, obviously, and I completely respect that you can tune (err... "tension"... there I go again!) and get a great sound without any of that.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
IT helps that I am familiar with my drums; the make of the drums; I've cared about the same make of Drums for 50 years. I know how when and where to tweak; I have the Tama Watch to double triple check when a head change occurs. I'm pretty good at getting even- by hand- two keys opposite.
I don't gig enough for it to be a concern and years back the devices weren't around. I'll give anyone $10 to not mention me in this well beaten thread.
Check Dumpy's Progress

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT helps that I am familiar with my drums; the make of the drums; I've cared about the same make of Drums for 50 years. I know how when and where to tweak; I have the Tama Watch to double triple check when a head change occurs. I'm pretty good at getting even- by hand- two keys opposite.
I don't gig enough for it to be a concern and years back the devices weren't around. I'll give anyone $10 to not mention me in this well beaten thread.
Check Dumpy's Progress
It’s a “ beaten “ thread in big part to you @JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yep. Gretsch are solid that way. Yep. Once and done Set it and forget it.
I took a lot of time could have been a month till I settled on and haven't budged- and that include a dozen gigs and playing them every day-
They. Just. Don.t. Budge.
Most Gretsch owners will tell you the same thing.
Very tight tolerances; they don't budge.

I haven't had to mess with my WFL 6.5 snares a whole lot neither
I got a pretty set routine and doesn't involving "tuning" after it's been established. Or "experimenting" with or changing heads.

So, Correct.

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep. Gretsch are solid that way. Yep. Once and done Set it and forget it.
I took a lot of time could have been a month till I settled on and haven't budged- and that include a dozen gigs and playing them every day-
They. Just. Don.t. Bug=dge.
Most Gretsch owners will tell you the same thing.
Very tight tolerances; they don't budge.

I haven't had to mess with my WFL 6.5 snares a whole lot neither
I got a pretty set routine and doesn't involving "tuning" after it's been established. Or "experimenting" with or changing heads.
I play my drums like I treat my Lady she's unflappable too ; )
Hey, have you ever tried the skip-a-lug method with your 5 lug toms? It’s where, with one key, you turn each lug a little and then skip a lug and keep going around the drum. I tried it last night with my 12x8 and I came out of it with each lug very close in pitch to each other. I used to use two keys too and put pressure on the hoop near each lug to make sure I get things even but this method might work better