Drum Dials

Rick

Reaction score
The Tune Bot will give one weird readings from time-to-time, though this is often due to it picking up harmonics rather than the dominant tone, and usually adjusts itself if the user continues to strike the drum with consistent volume.
This is important. Striking with consistent volume makes a difference. The harder you hit, the higher the frequency the Tunebot will read. So if you want to get all the lugs exactly the same frequency, you need to be striking with the same volume.

Also, FYI, I have found that placing half a piece of moongel dead center on the head while tuning cuts down on misreadings. I also use a Vic Firth felt tipped stick for tuning (that's the only thing I use that stick for). It seems to give a purer tone on the edge than something harder like a wood tip and also cuts down on misreadings.

I have decent ears and can hear when my drums are the slightest bit out of tune. When I use the Tunebot to put them back to the exact specs that I like, I get my drums back to sounding EXACTLY the way I want them to. It's very tight standards, but I'm OCD that way! LOL

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Striking with consistent volume makes a difference.
They should engineer a 'lil battery-powered device that would thump/tap the head in a consistent, steady rhythm that you could adjust. Same application of force and pressure every time... just $79.99 @ Sweetwater! LOL, another excuse to buy more gear!!!

Somebody stop me!!!

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Please note, the Drum Dial does not read torque. It reads the drum head tension at given locations, ideally opposite the tensioners.

Evans makes a product called the Torque Key which tunes each tensioner to a specified torque. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily translate to even tensioning of the head.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm selling mine if you want. Don't use it much anymore. It doesn't have the rim tab (never installed it and I haven't seen it so it probably got lost somewhere) because I always found it useless and annoying and could cut and scratch with it. Other than that it's mint in the box with the little paper manual that it brings. If you are interested, PM me.
And yes, that's the way it works (how you described), and the paper flyer that it includes has recommended tension numbers for different size drums.
Unfortunately, you need the "Edge Guide" for the DD to work properly...

Joe61

Reaction score
I have one and a TuneBot Studio. I like and use them both. The TunBot for share and toms and the DD for bass drum. My DD is the dial type. In hind sight the digital read out version may be more user friendly. I think they are both good tools.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you need the "Edge Guide" for the DD to work properly...
Absolutely not! Works perfect without it.
I've been using it since day 1 without the edge guard. You position it the same distance every time and that's it. All the edge guard did was get in the way and scratch a hoop on one of my toms. It's more in the way than anything else. Without it I could spin it in any direction to see the dial. I always got the exact readings and tuning not using it. Matter a fact, here is a video shot by the Drum dial company showing the tuning without the edge guard:
Straight from the Drum Dial website instructions: "The DrumDial base should be about ¾ of an inch from the edge of the drum directly in front of a tuning lug.
That's all you have to do and it doesn't take the edge guard to do that!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dang! I hope that's not so true! I bought it!
Hey, no issues with it not having the guard but if you aren't happy with the results, send it back and I give you your money back. "No questions asked money back satisfaction guarantee" LOL!
By the way, read my post above and watch the video. It's filmed by the Drum Dial people and they don't use the guard.

Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with not requiring the guard to use the DD, as a matter of fact, there are situations that you wouldn’t even use it, eg, head with inlay rings like a PS3.

Also, you can email Steve at drumdial@gmail.com for detailed settings for your setup. He provided a response very quickly and was very helpful.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Please note, the Drum Dial does not read torque. It reads the drum head tension at given locations, ideally opposite the tensioners.

Evans makes a product called the Torque Key which tunes each tensioner to a specified torque. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily translate to even tensioning of the head.
Torque?
Tommy, you beat me to it...

Also, I don't use the guard - I just eyeball the distance from the hoop...

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Their are several products on the market and they all have their own way, Torque, tension, pitch etc..
Take your pick!
You even have really different ones like this one:
https://tru-tuner.myshopify.com/
Or even this one:
http://circularscience.com/
They all do their thing in a different way. But in the end, they all "help" to tune your drum as precisely as possible by bringing you in "the zone" as close as possible.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's arrived and it's fantastic! In no time at all I had the heads tuned perfectly and sounding awesome! Thanks, IROD!!!

There isn't a setting for an 18" 22 kick, it only goes to a 16. I guess just go with that number?

blownaway

Reaction score
This is important. Striking with consistent volume makes a difference. The harder you hit, the higher the frequency the Tunebot will read. So if you want to get all the lugs exactly the same frequency, you need to be striking with the same volume.

Also, FYI, I have found that placing half a piece of moongel dead center on the head while tuning cuts down on misreadings. I also use a Vic Firth felt tipped stick for tuning (that's the only thing I use that stick for). It seems to give a purer tone on the edge than something harder like a wood tip and also cuts down on misreadings.

I have decent ears and can hear when my drums are the slightest bit out of tune. When I use the Tunebot to put them back to the exact specs that I like, I get my drums back to sounding EXACTLY the way I want them to. It's very tight standards, but I'm OCD that way! LOL
Great reminder re: volume of sticking. I too feel the tune bot adds a level of consistency to tuning. The key for me is finding the pitch and intervals I enjoy the most. Once found, the work is done.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's arrived and it's fantastic! In no time at all I had the heads tuned perfectly and sounding awesome! Thanks, IROD!!!

There isn't a setting for an 18" 22 kick, it only goes to a 16. I guess just go with that number?
Awesome man! You got it early. Yes the setting for 16 works fine. My kick is 18x22 as well. If you look at the last 3 kick sizes on the bottom of the chart they are pretty much in the same range. That's the setting I used. You can also search the forums because I'm sure somebody has published some tension numbers for the 18. Glad you liked it, enjoy it!

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I emailed DD and was told 74B and 73R. I did it and my kick sounds superb! However, I discovered that, although I love it, my old eyes just can't see those tiny lines and numbers.

So I ordered the digital model - it's already been shipped! ;)

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I emailed DD and was told 74B and 73R. I did it and my kick sounds superb! However, I discovered that, although I love it, my old eyes just can't see those tiny lines and numbers.

So I ordered the digital model - it's already been shipped! ;)
Damnnnn! LOL. A pair of $8 reading glasses might have helped! I thought I was bad with compulsive buying, I think you beat me. But hey when you love something, that's what you do, you end up wanting everything that's related to it. Have fun!

Latest posts