Drum Fantasy Camp

Rick

Reaction score
Okay, I’m almost embarrassed to admit it here, but I’m going this year. It’s a lot of money, but I’m fortunate to be able to afford it. I figure it’ll be great to have a whole day each with Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers, and Chad Wackerman as instructors (only 15 students per class). Those guys are well beyond my level, but I figure if I just pick up a couple of things that I can add to my playing it’ll be worth it. And one of the days will be a “groove class” with their house band’s guitar and bass players, Vinny Valentino and Janek Gwizdala. I’ll also get to sit in one of the nights (probably just one tune) with the house band.

Anyway, I’m excited about it! Anybody else here going or attended in previous years?

jmato

Reaction score
Be confident in your abilities and have a blast, Rick. I, for one, would like to hear about it afterwards. Good luck!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go and have fun! And take pics!

I went to a clinic at GC Hollywood years ago with Dennis Chambers - maybe late 90's. Super nice guy. He sat behind a huge yellow Pearl kit and when he started with double cymbals and double pedals, it was an onslaught of sound - like bombers, choppers, missiles, tanks and infantry all just feet from you about to trample you..........just an explosive sensory overload.....it was freakin' rad!!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it will be fun. Even though it's cheesy I'd still like to go to the Rock and Roll fantasy camp one year...hey why not?!?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheesy? How?

Cheesy? How?
Hanging out with aging rock stars and other musicians, which some might be great, some probably not, playing rock and roll star fantasy. I don't know might be great, have only seen what they show on TV and it looks a bit cheesy....but still looks like fun to me.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Just checked both sites the Drum camp and the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp....the Drum camp is a bargain considering what you'll get...especially compared to the RNR one...and getting to meet Steve Smith could be worth it just for that.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Hanging out with aging rock stars and other musicians, which some might be great, some probably not, playing rock and roll star fantasy. I don't know might be great, have only seen what they show on TV and it looks a bit cheesy....but still looks like fun to me.
The thing about Cool Guy attitude is it keeps Cool Guy from doing a lot of Cool stuff, which is less than Cool.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers, and Chad Wackerman! Three awesome drummers. Should be a great experience. Go and have fun!

I got an email about the RNR camp with Jerry Cantrell from AIC and the DeLeo Brothers from STP. Expensive, but tempting!

Rick

Reaction score
Just checked both sites the Drum camp and the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp....the Drum camp is a bargain considering what you'll get...especially compared to the RNR one...and getting to meet Steve Smith could be worth it just for that.
It does offer a lot. The instructors and house band members all stay at the same hotel with the campers and apparently hang out with everyone in the evenings. I'm sure there are some who would monopolize their time... I'll try not to be THAT guy. LOL But getting to be in an all day class taught by each of those world class drummers should be extremely interesting. I feel like I can't help but pick up something (maybe many "somethings") useful out of that.

I'm especially intrigued with the optional "groove class" I'm going to be taking with Vinny Valentino (guitar and musical director for the camp) and Janek Gwizdala (bass). I've heard Vinny play live before. He used to play with George Benson back in the day. Fantastic guitar player with a ton of experience to pass on. Even though I gig regularly with some great professional musicians, I'm sure I'll learn something from those guys! I also have somewhat of a personal connection there, as Vinny is good friends with Joel Rosenblatt who is also a friend of mine. And Joel has told me that Vinny is a long time private pilot. I'm a Delta pilot, so we have the aviation thing in common. And then the opportunity to hear a jam session with those guys each night and get to play with them at some point too... well, that should be a lot of fun!

Like somebody else said, it might be considered a bit "cheesy" but I'm going to just go and have fun and look at it as a "once in a lifetime" experience. I really love Steve Smith's playing (especially his jazz stuff) so I'm looking forward to hearing him and meeting him! I'll report back in August... hopefully with some pics! :)

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
Oh one more thing I'm excited about. Chrissi Poland is the singer for the house band at the camp. If you haven't heard Chrissi sing, you are in for a treat! I actually met her a number of years ago (she's also a good friend of Joel's) and have seen her perform live a couple of times. Here's a little thing she did with Dave Weckl a few years ago... :)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry think that was me that brought up "cheese" but I meant about the RNR camp, not the drum camp....but either way who cares if you enjoy it. I'd love to hang with Steve Smith. By the way saw you mentioned being a Delta pilot. My first trip to L.A. a few years back for my day job I flew Delta, went to get a burger downtown and sat at the bar, ordered a brown ale and a burger. Guy sat down next to me and said man that beer looks good and ordered the same. Ended up being a Delta pilot and a drummer too. If I remember he played DW's though so don't think it was you, ha, I did tell him about dfo and he said he was going to check it out.

Rick

Reaction score
Sorry think that was me that brought up "cheese" but I meant about the RNR camp, not the drum camp....but either way who cares if you enjoy it. I'd love to hang with Steve Smith. By the way saw you mentioned being a Delta pilot. My first trip to L.A. a few years back for my day job I flew Delta, went to get a burger downtown and sat at the bar, ordered a brown ale and a burger. Guy sat down next to me and said man that beer looks good and ordered the same. Ended up being a Delta pilot and a drummer too. If I remember he played DW's though so don't think it was you, ha, I did tell him about dfo and he said he was going to check it out.
Yeah, I know three other Delta pilots that are drummers. Two of them play DW and the other one plays Yamaha. I'm a Tama guy. Anyway, it could have been one of those two guys!

We actually have several Delta pilots who are very accomplished musicians. One guy is a phenomenal trumpet player. He sits in with us from time to time at my regular gig at Georgia Shrimp Company in Peachtree City. When he was on furlough from flying for several years back in the early 2000's, he went on tour with Bette Midler as her lead trumpet player! (Back when Sonny Emory was her drummer!) Yeah, he's that good! :)