Drum furniture?

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I bought a few shells a while back to make a mini-kit. I ended up not using one (14"x12" PDP Z5), but it was in good shape so I slowly put it back together since I had a set of heads and floor tom legs lying around.

I'm sure I could sell it and lose 90% of what I have in it, which I'd probably be fine with. I'm considering salvaging a glass top and making an end table or something. Maybe someone will want it then. :icon_lol: It's not worth putting together a matching shell pack from individual drums and reselling that, that's why I was leaning towards $3 worth of glass and sticky pads.

Any other furniture ideas out there? Or other ideas in general.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I'm entertaining the idea of wasting more money and making a small cocktail kit with it.

I am guessing glass will be much more than $3.......
You'd be surprised what you can find at Salvation Army or other consignment stores that just want to make some space. Lots of good stuff is put out on the street ahead of bulk trash pickup days too.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm building a laser printer stand / 3d printer enclosure. Glass is a heck of a lot cheaper than acrylic or polycarbonate.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
So I said I wouldn't do it, but I bought a bass drum to go with the floor tom. Maybe I'll just assemble a practice kit with mesh heads and plastic cymbals to beat on at 3:00am.

I'll revisit the furniture idea later though, so keep the ideas coming.

I'm building a laser printer stand / 3d printer enclosure. Glass is a heck of a lot cheaper than acrylic or polycarbonate.
Which printer do you have? I just got an Ender 3 up and running.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got a 26X12 Slingy kick with lugs but nothing else.
My friend (who is a guitarist/singer fwiw)...helped me build shelves to stick in it (no holes thru the shell)...It holds hot chocolate and teas and a few other sundries, just next to the kitchen.

in general I don't like the idea of making drums into furniture but if its not playable or worth putting together (I figured the bass drum would cost me another 100 easy to make it playable)

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Which printer do you have? I just got an Ender 3 up and running.
I fried the control board on my Ender 3 a year or so ago. I went with a MKS Gen L replacement and then found that my drivers won't run without air cooling. Long story short - it got stuck into a corner and a stack of round tuits piled on top. I'm just now trying to get it back up.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I fried the control board on my Ender 3 a year or so ago. I went with a MKS Gen L replacement and then found that my drivers won't run without air cooling. Long story short - it got stuck into a corner and a stack of round tuits piled on top. I'm just now trying to get it back up.
Oof. I've got some upgrades lined up for mine, two being a hot end and control board. I'm learning from a community that's doing a lot of boundary pushing with designs, so there's a wealth of knowledge for technical things like that. I've still got to get everything dialed in for super tight tolerances first though.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a few shells a while back to make a mini-kit. I ended up not using one (14"x12" PDP Z5), but it was in good shape so I slowly put it back together since I had a set of heads and floor tom legs lying around.

I'm sure I could sell it and lose 90% of what I have in it, which I'd probably be fine with. I'm considering salvaging a glass top and making an end table or something. Maybe someone will want it then. :icon_lol: It's not worth putting together a matching shell pack from individual drums and reselling that, that's why I was leaning towards $3 worth of glass and sticky pads.

Any other furniture ideas out there? Or other ideas in general.
In 2009, I used an extra 14" floor tom as a side table to mount my mouse pad on....

2009_MyComputerStation.jpg

... :-D
Worked great!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
blikum,

Did you simply poke a hole in the head and stick the light through it, or did you replace the head with something else?
Nice job on the lights, btw.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am using a Yamaha Maple Custom tom to hold up the security camera in my house. Yes, it's a very valuable security camera holder, but it does a great job of giving me the best view of the room. And if that Maple Custom tom ever gets stolen, I'll have a very clear picture of who stole it!

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
blikum,

Did you simply poke a hole in the head and stick the light through it, or did you replace the head with something else?
Nice job on the lights, btw.
I cut a piece of plexiglas the same diameter of the drum and installed it just like a drum head for the most part. I drilled out the middle for the light fixture. Works like a champ. Very sturdy.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut a piece of plexiglas the same diameter of the drum and installed it just like a drum head for the most part. I drilled out the middle for the light fixture. Works like a champ. Very sturdy.
Thank You!