Drum Gloves?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel surgery and I'm still having numbness issues with my hands and forearms.

Who uses drum gloves an loves them? Which ones do you have or like? Do you notice relief from numbing/tingling issues, do they help you play longer before your hands and arms feel it? Do you lose controll of sticks?

I really don't want to go to gloves. It just feels like you would lose a lot of the feel and connection to the sticks you normally have but at this point I'm willing to try.

Might have to start dressing like a mid 80s hair band if I get some

kaide

Reaction score
I used Meinl drum gloves when I played in a rock tribute. I had a fingerless model and they worked fine. At least Meinl sizing is a little small so you should order a bigger size. When I'm recording really heavy-hitting stuff I'll use gloves to prevent getting blisters so they work for me.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of using gloves you could consider trying stick wrap , like the ProMark stick wrap .

I used to play an annual Big Band Gig in an Ice Rink as well as some early Spring and Fall Outdoor gigs where it gets very cool ( I am in Canada ) and would wear Zildjian Drum gloves . They work ok , I can tolerate them but would never consider using them all the time .

One other option you might consider ,switch sticks to a larger diameter maple stick . The larger diameter will allow you to relax your grip and the maple keeps the weight down .

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
During different periods, I have worn different gloves. I also have used thin tennis grip on my sticks over the years. I used the tennis grip on my Ahead sticks, and it always was a winner with my hands and wrists, so much more than gloves. I always used football receiver gloves, as there was tack, and the palms were thin enough to still have good feel. If it were me, I would try tennis overgrip.

@NobleCooleyNut brought up larger diameter sticks and that would prevent the death grip that can happen with small sticks.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Instead of using gloves you could consider trying stick wrap , like the ProMark stick wrap .

I used to play an annual Big Band Gig in an Ice Rink as well as some early Spring and Fall Outdoor gigs where it gets very cool ( I am in Canada ) and would wear Zildjian Drum gloves . They work ok , I can tolerate them but would never consider using them all the time .

One other option you might consider ,switch sticks to a larger diameter maple stick . The larger diameter will allow you to relax your grip and the maple keeps the weight down .

Great minds think alike!

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was having some issues when playing in a heavy rock cover band with a light show and it would get hot in some clubs. I break a sweat easily so I did the glove thing for a number of reasons including hanging onto the sticks. There was not a lot of nuance with this gig so was not too concerned about losing feel. I actually liked Ekelton Racquetball gloves, and dabbed a little Sportscream (can't stand the smell of Ben-Gay) about 10 minutes before I put the gloves on. I also switched to a 2B maple stick as noted above -- not a fan of tape wrap so I used the rubber dip on the ends. I also took a little asprin before gigs to thin blood (supposedly) and for the first time I got into warming up with the pad for 10-15 minutes with intermittent stretching of fingers and forearms. Like any other body part it is easier to stretch when the muscles and ligaments are warm (think of stretching a warm piece of taffy vs. one that has been sitting on the shelf for a while). In my teens - thirties I used to be able to set up and rip a a heavy 3 setter easily. As I got north of 40 it took a lot more prep! The key for me is to keep the hands/wrists/forearms (and lower back and calves) warm and stretched.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Picture yourself parked at a beautiful mountain overlook on a clear, warm day like today. BMW pulls up and as the guy gets out, he’s pulling off “driving gloves!” If you’re like me, you want to punch him right in his smug face. That’s why I don’t wear drum gloves. Hopefully, drum tape will help the OP — if there’s still some inventory left over from the ‘80s.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm an ATV rider and I wear gloves, just standard batting gloves. Kind of a must for riding but playing, I don't think I would like the feel, like restricted if that makes sense. I never had a problem with stick control, I don't use tape or anything like that, just standard pro mark sticks.

But I could see how it would be appealing to some, not my thing though.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't use gloves but do have some RSI hand issues related to numbness/needle/tingling and have thought about giving compression gloves the once over.
I also saw a bass player on YT that uses latex/nitrile type gloves just to give his hands some compression input to quite the nerves and solve his issues.

I saw this site, that reviewed some compression gloves (don't know what affiliation to the brands they may have???

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Talk to your doctor about B-Complex, it may help with the numbness issues. I use this brand it’s got 300 Mcg of B12 and that’s one of the strongest I found out there. You’re supposed to take these 2 x a day, but I sometimes do only 1. It is not a cure and honestly only helps slightly, but it’s worth a try if you haven’t already.

Attachments

• 6750EC20-D2CD-490B-A9A8-148DC26432A7.jpeg
    6750EC20-D2CD-490B-A9A8-148DC26432A7.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's been 6 weeks
Of course you and you doctors know best but a quick search comes up with;

Recovery Time: Varies per individual, but it could take up to 2-3 months to regain full, unrestricted use. Early motion is allowed, but you should not lift, push or pull anything greater than a pencil for six weeks after surgery.Jun 15, 2018

Hang in there.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Talk to your doctor about B-Complex, it may help with the numbness issues. I use this brand it’s got 300 Mcg of B12 and that’s one of the strongest I found out there. You’re supposed to take these 2 x a day, but I sometimes do only 1. It is not a cure and honestly only helps slightly, but it’s worth a try if you haven’t already.
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Of course you and you doctors know best but a quick search comes up with;

Recovery Time: Varies per individual, but it could take up to 2-3 months to regain full, unrestricted use. Early motion is allowed, but you should not lift, push or pull anything greater than a pencil for six weeks after surgery.Jun 15, 2018

Hang in there.
Yeah. I think I might be pushing it.