Drum Gloves?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Zildjian and Tama gloves. I really only use them when I am handling my cymbals. I have never lost control of the sticks because of the gloves so that shouldn’t be a issue for you either.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I wore gloves(used a batting gloves w/slight padding) for a while when having some trouble with hands. Worked great

One thing I can tell you is that black leather gloves ‘bleed’ from sweat and turn you skin black and not easy to get off. I used white leather gloves.

Best wishes for recovery.

greegor

Reaction score
I too had carpal tunnel in both hands. After 4-6 weeks I had my hands back without pain. Before surgery (which fixed the issue) I got golf gloves which worked good enough. Love/hate thing where I liked that the stick didn't slip and could ease-up on my grip, but hated not feeling the stick.

But the bigger problem is, why didn't your surgery work? Sounds like it might be something else?

Mongoose

Reaction score
I wore gloves(used a batting gloves w/slight padding) for a while when having some trouble with hands. Worked great

One thing I can tell you is that black leather gloves ‘bleed’ from sweat and turn you skin black and not easy to get off. I used white leather gloves.

Best wishes for recovery.
Mine don't bleed even after moisturing with mink oil. They do make my sticks slightly black.

itsjjp

Reaction score
I'm 50 and my hands hurt in my last band, a rock cover band with some demanding material. I broke down and bought a pair 9f Zildjian gloves and it made a big difference. I gave up the ability to do clean doubles and sensitive play in general, but it didn't matter for that line-up. Also, I recommend a holistic approach: 1. Treat your hands nicely when not playing (yard work can be a bear for example), allow time for rest and recovery 2. Be hydrated always, 3. Eat foods that don't cause inflammation, 4. Good vitamin regimen

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm addicted to stick tape. I shouldn't have started using it, and i started for other purposes than slipping. I started to make the Vic Firth American Rock classics thicker. When i didn't use stick tape, the sticks wouldn't feel right, and slip.
So, i got gloves, thinking this would help.
I have big hands, hence Rock Classics. I bought the largest gloves they make, and they didn't fit.
Back to tape

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For recovery time, really depends over your body. Your age, condition (do you have diabetes?), etc. My father is diabetic and in his early 60's at time of surgery and it took him 2 years to regain normality in his hands again. My uncle is 5 years older and had the procedure done a few years later, and he's back to riding his bike within 10 days with no pain or inflammation.

For gloves, I use golf gloves to prevent blisters from sweating. They are flexible and grip very well. They do wear out, but I don't mind that.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel surgery and I'm still having numbness issues with my hands and forearms.

Who uses drum gloves an loves them? Which ones do you have or like? Do you notice relief from numbing/tingling issues, do they help you play longer before your hands and arms feel it? Do you lose controll of sticks?

I really don't want to go to gloves. It just feels like you would lose a lot of the feel and connection to the sticks you normally have but at this point I'm willing to try.

Might have to start dressing like a mid 80s hair band if I get some
What size sticks do you use? Seems like nobody has asked this question. One person did mention about increasing diameter. I would play and by the time I was done, my hands were in pain. I started using a bigger stick and it helped tremendously. Less vibration for your hands, you don't grip as hard and the heavier weight let's the stick do the work. It took a little bit if getting used to them but it's fine now and I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
What size sticks do you use? Seems like nobody has asked this question. One person did mention about increasing diameter. I would play and by the time I was done, my hands were in pain. I started using a bigger stick and it helped tremendously. Less vibration for your hands, you don't grip as hard and the heavier weight let's the stick do the work. It took a little bit if getting used to them but it's fine now and the benefits outweigh the negatives.
What size sticks did you come from?
What size sticks did you move to?

Gloves seem to limit control. My hands are getting more damaged. Nothing I can do except not to accelerate it. I had arthritis (JRA) in my teens and now have Crohn's disease that has spread to my joints.

Reaction score
I also saw a bass player on YT that uses latex/nitrile type gloves just to give his hands some compression input to quite the nerves and solve his issues.
That's Scott Devine. He has focal dystonia, a nerve condition that causes sudden and involuntary movements in his fingers - apparently the glove helps. He doesn't always have it on. He uses it for his fretting hand.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size sticks did you come from?
What size sticks did you move to?

Gloves seem to limit control. My hands are getting more damaged. Nothing I can do except not to accelerate it. I had arthritis (JRA) in my teens and now have Crohn's disease that has spread to my joints.
I have arthritis in both hands and tendonitis in both thumbs and the stick size change helped alot. I went from 5A up to 5B and now I also added 2B. I switch between 5B and 2B. I've also bought Ahead sticks in a 5B and will be trying those out as well because of the supposed reduced vibration.

SRSnure

Reaction score
Like "cashmanbashman" I use Zildjian and Tama gloves. I like them both and they help absorb some of the stick vibrations. They also help me hold on to my sticks. I definitely drop sticks fewer times with them. This getting older stuff really stinks!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What size sticks do you use? Seems like nobody has asked this question. One person did mention about increasing diameter. I would play and by the time I was done, my hands were in pain. I started using a bigger stick and it helped tremendously. Less vibration for your hands, you don't grip as hard and the heavier weight let's the stick do the work. It took a little bit if getting used to them but it's fine now and the benefits outweigh the negatives.
I like to use about as small of sticks as I can get. I play in a small jam space and it has helped me keep my volume down and I've gotten used to them. I use Promark MJZ-11 and Regal Tip Combo's but not for long as the Promarks have been discontinued and who knows about the Combo's.

I used to use the Vic Firth SD5 Echos as their unique profile kept them light, helped keep the volume down, and you had some girth at the hand but they are the only sticks I've played where the excess vibration is instantly noticed when not even thinking about vibration before hitting so I don't use those anymore. Unfortunate as I liked riding a cymbal with them.

Like most, I probably have 30 different pairs of sticks of all sizes trying to find an accessible replacement with no luck on finding a new favorite.

I will start trying larger sizes again.

What about wood material and vibrations? Maple, Rock Maple, hickory, oak, etc.? I tend to gravitate towards maple but I'm not married to it. The Promark MJZ- is Rock Maple with a small wood ball tip and I absolutely love it for riding a cymbal.

Last edited:

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have developed arthurites in my hands over the years I'm sure aggravated by drumming. I bought some copper core gloves on a whim because my mother in law said that copper insoles helped her arthritic feet and ankles. I've never been one to buy into all that homeopathic, essential oils type stuff, but I'll be danged if they didn't help. I cut the finger tips off so I have sense of touch, they are snug and work pretty well to lesson the shock of pounding a high hat and snare for 4 to 5 hours a night. Since I have owned them I haven't had to go home and ice down my hands or load up on Ibuprofen before I could go to sleep. So all in all I have been happy...

Last edited: