Drum hardware maintenance & lubrication

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been using valve oil on my tension rods for quite a while. As in the stuff brass players use. It's a super-light oil that cleans a little and lubes a little. I also use it on cymbal stand threads and would use it on lug mounting threads. For a BD pedal/friction points, I'd probably use something with a little more substance, like lithium grease, etc.

But here's one for ya. I got several of those Slingerland FT bracket repros from Steve Maxwell - er, from China, er, from the worst factory in China. They are awful. Out of six brackets, two of the mounting screws couldn't be unscrewed out of the bracket. Seven or eight of the others were unacceptably bound-up, thread-wise. As in - I could get the bracket onto my drum but would be fearful of ever being able to get it off again. Only about three or four of the mounting screws were fine as-was. The wing screws to tighten the FT legs were equally bad. The plating is lightly bubbling on a few of the of the bracket bodies.

My good friend (and bass player) has been repairing automatic transmissions for over thirty years and owns an incredible shop in the Detroit area. THEY do the re-build, there is no "sending it out." He knows metal, threads, and tools. I took the parts out to him, thinking we'd do the die-chasing thing for the threads. No need! He just said, "Behold, the magic elixir - transmission fluid!" He massaged the threads with a cloth soaked in auto trans fluid, and all is good, well mostly. There was no saving the units with the screws that couldn't be unscrewed.

Reaction score
I recently discovered the plastic lug inserts on my kit were cracked, and assumed the white lithium grease I used 10 years ago was the culprit (some lubricants cause damage to certain plastics).

While I'm not completely convinced the WLG was to blame, I decided that I'll strip all the grease from my tension rods just to be safe, before I install new lug inserts. I will either use no lubricant at all, or a plastic safe PTFE synthetic grease.

If you decide to use a lubricant, don't use anywhere near as much as shown in the video below:

The amount this person uses on one tension rod is more than enough for an entire drum kit...

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Lithium Grease a SMALL amount on each tension rod and wing nut. Also if you find your stands or some older ones you've purchased have rust inside the tubes I clean that out with brake cleaner and a shotgun cleaning kit....once clean, a slight bit of 3 in 1 oil to keep the rust from returning...

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
how does oil can get rusty; on the outside; just like car's oil filter can have a (leaky) rust hole in it (ask me how I know..
and rust from outside in) remember
????
I'm sorry, your syntax is quite imaginative.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
which part
Oil Can can get rusty -someone asked how- I said On the Outside.
A car oil Filter. A chip on the painted outside can become a rust hole and leak its contents.
That's as far as I'll explain
don't disappoint me anymore lamartee

btw.
what's a lamartee

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
which part
Oil Can can get rusty -someone asked how- I said On the Outside.
A car oil Filter. A chip on the painted outside can become a rust hole and leak its contents.
That's as far as I'll explain
don't disappoint me anymore lamartee

btw.
what's a lamartee
Thank you for the explanation.
(sorry, the definition of lamartee is not for public consumption)

• Haha
Reactions: JDA