Drum heads for a newbie

Needmora

Reaction score
Well. I ripped my snare and want to know if there's any difference on the market of drum heads. I am only a student, so I know that there are Evans and Aquarian and a couple more brands, but have no idea if it even matters for the sound and durability which one I choose.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Coated Remo Ambassador Batter head
Clear Remo Ambassador Snare Side head
top and bottom

is 1 choice

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since you’re new to it, might as well stick with the biggest brand, Remo. There _are_ subtle differences and reasons to choose other brands, but you’re not at that point yet.

Next thing to look at is the construction type, as all the brands have single ply, double ply, ones with dots or rings, etc. When you’re starting out, for a snare you probably should get the basic: single ply, coated, for the top (batter) head. Maybe get one with a dot if you tend to hit hard. For the bottom (reso or snare) side, be sure to get a head that’s specifically for that purpose. They’re thinner than batter heads.

Needmora

Reaction score
I was new too and someone shared this link. It compares the brands and has lots of other info. https://drumheadauthority.com/articles/ultimate-searchable-drumhead-comparison-equivalency-chart/r
Can't open the link
Coated Remo Ambassador Batter head
Clear Remo Ambassador Snare Side head
top and bottom

is 1 choice
I was reading these reviews https://primesound.org/best-drum-heads/ and saw Remo there, but Aquarian pack was in top 3. Is any difference between Emperor and Ambassador for sound. How does it work? Does thickness of the film somehow influence the quality?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can't open the link

I was reading these reviews https://primesound.org/best-drum-heads/ and saw Remo there, but Aquarian pack was in top 3. Is any difference between Emperor and Ambassador for sound. How does it work? Does thickness of the film somehow influence the quality?
It really doesn't make sense to rank heads like they have on that site. Everyone has their prefence on sound. The coated Ambassador batter and clear/hazy Ambassador Snare Side is pretty much the reference point though. At least to me, everything else is a deviation from that standard. I think you have to get a feel for it from there and explore later.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Well. I ripped my snare and want to know if there's any difference on the market of drum heads. I am only a student, so I know that there are Evans and Aquarian and a couple more brands, but have no idea if it even matters for the sound and durability which one I choose.
When you say "snare", are you talking about the top (batter) head, or the bottom (resonant) head?
One could theoretically "rip" either (and the bottom head on a snare drum is called a "snare side" head, too, thus my question).
If its the batter (top) head, all the aftermarket heads are good quality heads. Sounds tend to be similar, but as you gain experience and an "ear", you'll start to pick up on the subtle differences between the brands.
My suggestion is to stick with the coated medium weight single ply head that was probably on there.
These include:
Remo Ambassador
Evans G1
Aquarian Texture Coated
Attack Proflex1 (or Royal 1)
For right now, check and see which one you can get for the least amount of money and get that one.
You're not getting any less of a head if you stay within those makes/models, you're just shopping for the best deal.
Good luck.

Elvis

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is any difference between Emperor and Ambassador for sound. How does it work? Does thickness of the film somehow influence the quality?
“Quality” has two meanings: first, a judgment of better or worse, like high quality or low quality. Second, a description of factors or aspects without any judgment of better or worse. Tone, sensitivity, and resistance to damage are examples of qualities.

Ambassador is one ply, Emperor is two plies. They have different qualities in that they sound and play differently from each other, but they are the same quality in terms of good vs bad.

Yes, thickness changes the sound, the response, and the durability. But to get more of one quality, you may lose some of another quality.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I keep going back to the REMO standards.

As said above; Coated Ambassador on top and a Hazy Snare Side on the bottom for Snare drum.
On toms I like Coated Ambassadors on top and Bottom or Clear Ambassador on the bottom. The clear has a more open sound.
On large floor toms some people as I do, like Coated Emperor (a double ply) on top and Coated or Clear Ambassadors on the bottom. The Coated Emperor will give a more mellow and slightly lower tone it seems.
On Bass drums; I like anything PS3. On a couple of my bass drums I have PS3 Fiberskyn on both sides. My newest bass came with PS3 Ambassador Smooth White on the front and PS3 Clear Ambassador on the batter side and I've really been enjoying that combination.

It all comes down to personal preference. Start out with the old standard use them and learn how to tune them. Then try other types and brands to find what you like best. They each have their own sound.

sherm

Latest posts