Drum History Podcast about John Bonham

Tarkus

Reaction score
Thanks George.

Learned a lot about Bonham. Especially the 'older' stories were unknown to me. Hope, you get once the chance to talk with Carmine Appice about their relationship (if you haven't yet). There must be stories filling many evenings ...

And thanks to your hint to 'Mourning in the Morning'.

Influences are really 'there'. Great drumming. Anybody knows the snare of Roger Hawkins - most likely a 400, or?

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this George. I really enjoyed it. I'm old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin play here in LA in 1969 at The Rose Palace in Pasadena.
All my friends were in local bands and we collectively freaked out when we heard the first album. There was no way were we going to miss that show.
I remember hearing the first and second albums and realizing what a powerhouse Bonham really was, and also what a quick right foot he had. I was not into jazz at the time and as I discovered Tony Williams I sort of lost track of Zeppelin's later records.

Just yesterday I was completely spellbound by his performance and solo on Moby Dick from the Royal Albert Hall on YT the following year. Remarkable to realize he was just 20 years old at the time and already so developed as a drummer and musician. What a gift he had. If he had realized just how many people loved him and the difference he had made perhaps things would have turned out differently.
Thanks again for posting.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.55.51 PM.png

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this George. I really enjoyed it. I'm old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin play here in LA in 1969 at The Rose Palace in Pasadena.
All my friends were in local bands and we collectively freaked out when we heard the first album. There was no way were we going to miss that show.
I remember hearing the first and second albums and realizing what a powerhouse Bonham really was, and also what a quick right foot he had. I was not into jazz at the time and as I discovered Tony Williams I sort of lost track of Zeppelin's later records.

Just yesterday I was completely spellbound by his performance and solo on Moby Dick from the Royal Albert Hall on YT the following year. Remarkable to realize he was just 20 years old at the time and already so developed as a drummer and musician. What a gift he had. If he had realized just how many people loved him and the difference he had made perhaps things would have turned out differently.
Thanks again for posting.

View attachment 538847
I was there too, Sinclair. Don't remember which night though. Bonham was using the thermogloss kit with only a single bass drum; Page was using a couple of Rickenbacker Transonic amps (maybe Jones was too, I don't remember, see photo below). Freakin' amazing concert — they played their entire first album except for "Your Time Is Gonna Come"; Page played the "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" acoustic medley and they did a rip-roaring version of "Train Kept A-Rollin".

Having seen them back then (and a couple more times in '70 and '71) makes being an old fart go down a little easier.

jimmy_page_uses_rickenbacker_transonic_1_8776182c21.jpg

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was there too, Sinclair. Don't remember which night though. Bonham was using the thermogloss kit with only a single bass drum; Page was using a couple of Rickenbacker Transonic amps (maybe Jones was too, I don't remember, see photo below). Freakin' amazing concert — they played their entire first album except for "Your Time Is Gonna Come"; Page played the "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" acoustic medley and they did a rip-roaring version of "Train Kept A-Rollin".

Having seen them back then (and a couple more times in '70 and '71) makes being an old fart go down a little easier.
Wow what a small world...and to think you remember all those details too. You must not have been as high as I was. (rimshot) Agree...it was am amazing time to be coming up in Rock music. A thriving scene with so many great bands.
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 9.16.03 AM.png

Porgie66

Reaction score

View attachment 538849
Absolutely amazing, wish I had been born about 10 years earlier!