Drum History Podcast

CigarScott

Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of this podcast? While there are a few episodes that I skip since the topic really doesn't interest me, I find it fascinating. I'm just hoping they do a Paiste episode down the road.

One of the things that it helps put into perspective is how small percussion companies really are, in the grand scheme of things. I doubt any company except for, perhaps, DW or KHS, would even be Fortune 5000 companies. Virtually every company in the industry, outside KHS, which owns Sonor, is still family owned. The big four cymbal companies: Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, and Paiste are all family-owned; I would guess that none of these companies employ more than 100 people worldwide. What we think of as titans in our industry are still family-held; ie: Pearl, Tama, Vater, D'addario (Evans, Puresound, Promark), and the list goes on.

I remember the Vic Firth episode that before they were bought by Zildian that they employed less than 10 people. I think Vater is in the same boat.

CigarScott

Reaction score
Is it mostly about drum and cymbal manufacturing?

Mostly, but a lot of history of either specific companies like Pearl or Meinl, famous drummers like Krupa, history of a item like electronic drums or cymbals. Again some topics don't interest me so much but hearing a history of a company, even one that I don't use any of their stuff, fascinates me. Today's episode of the history of electronic drums was good, too.

dyland

Reaction score
I had no idea about this. Thanks for posting about it, I'm gonna dive in in my spare time.

highmileage

Reaction score
I’ve listened to a few, it’s a pretty good one. The conversation with Andy Zildjian was probably one of the more entertaining ones.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is an asset to our community. I support it and encourage others to as well.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bart does a great job with this podcast, has great guests and most of the episodes are pretty fascinating.