drum kit in dusty garage

jonnymcm319

Reaction score
so ive finally set my £1000 tama superstar kit up in ky garage, the only ptoblem here is that my garage is quite dusty and ive had to set loads of blankets over it in order to protect it. can any of this do any damage in any way?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not really... If you're using heavy blankets or moving blankets it may add some weight/mass to the cymbals and maybe compress the felt quicker than normal. Again if using heavy material on oddly angled cymbals you may see some key-holing on cymbal a bit sooner than other wise. The drums, if kept clean shouldn't be adversely affected by the dirt- if they get dirty and you drag a blanket across it you may see scratches sooner than somebody who didn't cover them... I don't know the drum finish, but if its not a lacquer finish I don't think that will be a problem. A blanket may attract critters (like a cat or other animals if you're in a rural setting) for the soft and warm feeling. I think the biggest issue may be humidity or moisture related - if it's not fluctuating widely or staying pretty damp in the garage, I'd imagine the shells would do OK and then I just the occasional polishing of the chrome hardware. I'd probably opt for sheets, (maybe flannel if I felt like splurging) or some other lighter weight material.

jonnymcm319

Reaction score
Not really... If you're using heavy blankets or moving blankets it may add some weight/mass to the cymbals and maybe compress the felt quicker than normal. Again if using heavy material on oddly angled cymbals you may see some key-holing on cymbal a bit sooner than other wise. The drums, if kept clean shouldn't be adversely affected by the dirt- if they get dirty and you drag a blanket across it you may see scratches sooner than somebody who didn't cover them... I don't know the drum finish, but if its not a lacquer finish I don't think that will be a problem. A blanket may attract critters (like a cat or other animals if you're in a rural setting) for the soft and warm feeling. I think the biggest issue may be humidity or moisture related - if it's not fluctuating widely or staying pretty damp in the garage, I'd imagine the shells would do OK and then I just the occasional polishing of the chrome hardware. I'd probably opt for sheets, (maybe flannel if I felt like splurging) or some other lighter weight material.
thanks man. ive got light sheets over it so i dont think that the weight will be a problem

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
can any of this do any damage in any way?
sounds like "loads of blankets" could get pretty heavy..only thing I can see. Sheets sound "lighter". Don't want to bend a tom off a mount, crack a tom shell, with "weight"..

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say no issue, other than an accumulation of dust can sometimes have an oily residue.

Latest posts