Drum Lesson rates in Los Angeles!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Hello teachers,

I know there are several factors affecting the cost of drum lessons but I wanted to know what is an average cost of drum lessons in Los Angeles area right now? I have been given rates for 30minutes and 60minutes classes and per month basis. This has been probably discussed here before but I couldn’t find the thread.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a teacher in L.A., I try to stay on top of things like this, and I’ve found $50/hr is pretty typical. Sometimes lesson lengths are cut to 30 minutes, especially for younger students, with a corresponding halving of the rate.

Teachers that are based in some kind of studio or store sometimes require upfront payment of a month.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it also depends on the level of your instructor. A name might cost more than someone less prominent.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I think it also depends on the level of your instructor. A name might cost more than someone less prominent.
Very true, that’s why I actually started this thread. There are people who charge $50/hr and $100/hr who are not well known or recommended by someone well-known and then there is someone with name or recommended that charges 100 too. Also some of the well known teachers are touring drummers too so sometimes they are not available for months. Trying to find a good balance between teacher level, price, location, and availability.

dale w miller

Reaction score
I don’t teach drum lessons, but in North Jersey I charge $30 for 39 minutes for a 2 student/1 teacher ratio class. I find parents don’t balk and I make them pay for a quarter whether they show or not with one makeup. I also have the overhead of a pool.

Take that as you will