Drum Lights Input

Moonman

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience with drum lights? i.e. LED light strips w/in drums? I've seen the drumlights product and they're interesting to me for a particular environment. Assuming the situation were to call for such a need, have you folks come across anything that reacts to sound? Specifically, a solution that has the option of lighting the entire kit in multiple colors (drumlights do this well) AND also changes the color of the drum being struck? I've found DIY options but just don't know if there's a product out there that does all of these things without building it from scratch.

This post isn't intended to provoke conversation on whether they're cool, appropriate, or otherwise. Just simply, "If the job were to call for it, is there a product that you're aware of that will do these things well?"

Thanks in advance for your input.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw one at a gig a couple weeks back. It was kind of cool. Not sure I'd ever use the trigger.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I own the standard DrumLites without the trigger. It wasn't available when I bought and I've never upgraded. The elements don't seem to be proprietary, so I believe a DIY option is available, BUT to me, the simplicity of ordering a package that was specially made for my drum measurements, and the detail work that makes installation and use an absolute breeze, was well worth any added cost.
BSP_5218.jpg
BSP_5315.jpg

Moonman

Reaction score
YOu mean like this:

Only seen them on the displays. Never used them myself.
Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't seen the trigger feature before your post. Thanks for sharing!

Moonman

Reaction score
I own the standard DrumLites without the trigger. It wasn't available when I bought and I've never upgraded. The elements don't seem to be proprietary, so I believe a DIY option is available, BUT to me, the simplicity of ordering a package that was specially made for my drum measurements, and the detail work that makes installation and use an absolute breeze, was well worth any added cost. View attachment 401327View attachment 401328
Thanks for the pics and input.Your kit looks great and I agree, ease of installation is a definite plus. I've found DIY options I could entertain for a single drum (maybe the kick), but for my needs the extra work in the DIY route doesn't outweigh the benefit of having something pre-packaged and ready to go. Thanks again.

Moonman

Reaction score
Saw one at a gig a couple weeks back. It was kind of cool. Not sure I'd ever use the trigger.
It's different, for sure. I wouldn't use it for all occasions, personally, but for the gig I'm preparing for (a potential cupcake 2x a year, high-paying cover gig) it might be the ticket. Checked my ego at the door a while ago, which seems to be a fairly common trait of drummers; especially as the aging process has officially set in.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own the standard DrumLites without the trigger. It wasn't available when I bought and I've never upgraded. The elements don't seem to be proprietary, so I believe a DIY option is available, BUT to me, the simplicity of ordering a package that was specially made for my drum measurements, and the detail work that makes installation and use an absolute breeze, was well worth any added cost. View attachment 401327View attachment 401328

Man, those look freaky cool !!!

No joke. I am showing this to the wife tonight.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
The markup on those things are just insulting.

Those are $5 LED adhesive strips that you can buy anywhere online. Tied into a $1 piezo trigger mechanism, and a power supply.

$300 for the set with no triggers? $399 with? :blush::confused5: Come on get real.

I've got LED strips on 3 of my bass drums. With remote control, multiple fade/flash patterns and speed. Cost me $11 ea, and a whopping 15 minutes to install.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The markup on those things are just insulting.

Those are $5 LED adhesive strips that you can buy anywhere online. Tied into a $1 piezo trigger mechanism, and a power supply.

$300 for the set with no triggers? $399 with? :blush::confused5: Come on get real.

I've got LED strips on 3 of my bass drums. With remote control, multiple fade/flash patterns and speed. Cost me $11 ea, and a whopping 15 minutes to install.

View attachment 401526
Yeah, I'm with you on this, those prices are stupid. I used something (like) this on the interior of one of my old bass drums and it was perfect. No modifications necessary. The power cable fit right through the vent hole on the drum.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
The bass drum starter kit is only $48 from Sweetwater. My full kit for a 5-piece was reasonably priced and came with a snake to run all the drums from a single source. Worth it to me.