DRUM! Magazine DONE! Magazine

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I read today the DRUM! Magazine is closing up shop. Too bad. I enjoy all the various drummer publications.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
With the passing of the U.K.'s excellent Rhythm Magazine earlier this year, what's left out there for those of us who continue to enjoy tree-based media?

Sigh, I'll miss Drum, and I continue to desire one of the cool beanie hats they promised for new subscribers (but then told me they'd run out of their promised perk).

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
This is a real bummer. I'm a subscriber and when it went to a quarterly printing, I sensed the writing was on the wall. I'll miss it.

Targalx

Reaction score
Wow. That's too bad. Print media in general has been having a hard time keeping afloat, with many daily newspapers and other magazines closing up shop over the last decade. (I've been told the music instrument business has been tough these days, too.)

kallen49

Reaction score
I miss magazines (had a Modern Drummer subscription in years 2 to 4) but my iPad has replaced all of them as well as my daily newspaper, (I do pay for the local weekly paper plus subscribe to a local news media’s website).
One of the reasons magazines are disappearing is the existence of forums like this which do just as good a job (or better?) of supplying information on specific interests. And much faster response than writing letters to the editor.

But seeing mags when I was a kid in the music store did inspire to learn to play better and to learn about drum history so what replaces that?

Reactions: Hop

What It Is

Reaction score
Sorry to see this happen, but can't say I'm totally surprised. I let my subscription lapse a few years back, didn't really feel like the magazine was where I was at. I changed, I guess, it didn't. Same goes with Modern Drummer. I do enjoy Drumhead quite a bit because I find the interviews to have the depth I'm looking for from artists. Ever go into your stacks of magazines and compare the old with the new? It's startling to say the least. Thanks Drum! for good years and good reads.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have every MD magazine ever printed. Starting with Jan. 1977. All issues are in plastic magazine bags too. I think that stems back to my comic book days of collecting. The only magazine subscription I still do.
Gotdrums! I'm impressed with your MD collection! I have complete sets from about 1985-1992, plus many other incomplete sets. I have all those vinyl "sound supplement" records, too! I really enjoy printed media!

-Mark

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... One of the reasons magazines are disappearing is the existence of forums like this which do just as good a job (or better?) of supplying information on specific interests. And much faster response than writing letters to the editor.
Very good insight to the demise... it can be too easy to just blame iPads/Nook/Kindle and whatever electronic reader.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a Sunday only newspaper subscription. I went to paint something the other day and had to BUY a drop cloth.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While I hate to see a drummer-focused publication have to call it quits, I can’t say I’m surprised in this instance. Seemed to be mostly geared towards beginner drummers in terms of content. And I felt like the same name drummers made the cover quite often.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With the passing of the U.K.'s excellent Rhythm Magazine earlier this year, what's left out there for those of us who continue to enjoy tree-based media?

Sigh, I'll miss Drum, and I continue to desire one of the cool beanie hats they promised for new subscribers (but then told me they'd run out of their promised perk).
Absolutely agree about Rhythm magazine. While I liked Drum, it did not compare to Rhythm, which’s n my opinion was the best of the bunch. I do have subscriptions to Modern Drummer and Drumhead though, so I hope they are able to stay afloat.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got to write for Drum! for just about nine years. Gave me a ton of great opportunities and introduced me to a whole bunch of really wonderful people. I'll miss working with those people the most.

Print is done, but we'll be publishing articles through at least the end of 2019.

Personally, I've got a huge stack of reviews coming, including:
  • Mapex Design Lab Cherry Bomb kit
  • Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid Oak kit
  • Crush updated Sublime kit
  • New Canopus snare drums - Zelkova, R-Type and others
  • A&F Bell Series Brass snare drum
  • Doc Sweeney Legend Series snare drum
  • A&F/Sabian Ankh hi-hats
  • Sabian updated AAX cymbals
  • 2019 new Paiste cymbals
  • Aquarian Reflector heads
  • Vic Firth snare snare wires and IEMs
Possibly a few more.

Last edited:

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a digital archive available like MD?

I loved my Modern Drummer mags but converted to all digital a few years ago and actually find myself going back to the older issues more often in digital format that I ever did in print.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have every MD magazine ever printed. Starting with Jan. 1977. All issues are in plastic magazine bags too. I think that stems back to my comic book days of collecting. The only magazine subscription I still do.
I was right there with ya until 2013 when I finally bailed - it was onesy-twosey after that. Tossed most of them in 2015 when we were getting ready to move. I loved MD in the mid-80s; downhill after that.

Latest posts