DRUM Magazine Reveals Acoustic-Only Drummers are Piloting a Horse-and-Buggy in the Jet Age

kaosotis

Reaction score
Why do you want to sound exactly like someone else? Why buy a great kit to change the sound?

If you turn the kit into an interface it is no longer an instrument that requires a skilled musician. Anyone can hit an interface to trigger that exact sound, that requires little technique.

Taken a little out of context from the bus tapes but it applies -

"Let's see how you do up there without all the assistance" Buddy Rich
How is a hybrid kit just an interface? You still have to play the drums, and hit any pads like a drum?

I don't think anyone is talking about using a hybrid for jazz. But for rock, alt, pop, metal, etc... It can allow more creativity.

Geddy Lee played bass pedals when he needed to play keyboard at the same time as bass. Nobody bashed that.

kaosotis

Reaction score
Hybrid kits are definitely a viable thing. And cool. I’d love one, and someone to teach me to set it up and use it. And oh set it up for me and tear it down at every gig. But I don’t see that happening; nor do I see myself playing in a major touring band that would require it.

As long as the guitarists I play with keep using electric guitars designed in the 1950’s and amps from not long after that, I’ll still keep using my busted ass boomered old full acoustic kit.

I’ve got mine; don’t worry about his.

I’ll still get laid.
Just so you are aware, it takes very little to make your kit "hybrid".

As someone who uses both acoustic and electronic kits, e-kits aren't hard to setup and tear down.

Yes, if you play in a band that only mics vocals you'll need more equipment. But for the rest of us that run even a small PA w/sub, e-kits are no big deal.

My acoustic kit sounds much better than my ekit, so I prefer it. But there are times in small places with lousy acoustics that using the ekit is necessary and provides a much cleaner sound overall to the audience.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Why don't we have hybrid guitar, piano, trumpet, sax, string bass? The technology must be there. Why bother to learn how to play a difficult hand/fingered instrument if you can just push buttons instead? Apparently the full acoustic must offer something that hybrids and electronics cannot. Maybe the day is coming when the Boston Pops is just a conductor with a keyboard + amps + speakers. As long as he uses the wand I'm good with it. :3some:
I missed your comment earlier since there was such a flood of opinions on this subject, but as others have pointed out, of course there are acoustic/electric guitars, pianos and string basses. Also, since it's the 21st Century, the Boston Pops has incorporated electronic instruments into its programs.

DJ ATL Drums

Reaction score
It would also have different requirements depending on whether you are miking the acoustic drums or not. If you have a big enough PA with the available channels and are miking then you can run everything through the PA but if you don't then you would need amps next to the drum kit so the sampled sounds sound like they are coming from the drum kit. Hybrid definitely adds a lot of complexity and extra equipment requirements above and beyond the electroncs themselves.
Limits with the PA, or in many cases, not having a soundman make the one and done edrum output a good option.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
As said above, it's what the gig needs.

Most calls I've gotten for the past few years have been for straight ahead/R&B, big band or afro caribbean gigs. No PA's involved, so the infrastructure needed to support a hybrid setup is not present.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Roland Spdsx, it severs as a trigger pad as well as an iPod for tracks. I played in a lot of cover and tribute bands and it’s an advantage to be able to pull sounds off that , have the tracks ready to go quickly by just on hit of a pad. Not that I love playing live to click tracks and pre recorded keyboard tracks but that’s reality today. Being able to adapt will get you gigs. I just hate lugging it around. I’d rather 4 drums 3 cymbals and go!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You want to get in hybrid?

Check Joe Clegg. Mr. hybrid.

I have been a hybrid drummer since around 2005/2006 and love it.

But it takes time to have everything dialed in perfectly, especially if you are a weekend warrior. because of the ever changing surroundings and (tech) teams you work with.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With the Handsonic I can customise every sound. You're barely scratching the surface if you are trying to sound like everyone else.

I play without a PA. I put a pillow on a powered PA speaker and use it for a drum throne.

bensondrums

Reaction score
No question a trigger here and there can be useful and playing to a click and loops is essential but the majority of the drum sound needs to be acoustic. I have not yet ever heard an electronic set that can even come slightly close to acoustic.

cruddola

Reaction score
Nah, electronics is NOT for me outside of recording myself. I'm an acoustic person when it comes to drums, brass and stringed instruments. Ever heard a Big Band live without sound reinforcement? I have. That's how rehearsals were done. I fell in love with that sound. Pure instrument and musician. Nothing else. Beautiful! That said, the reason I play on the acoustic drums is because I like the acoustic sound. Having total dynamic control on that acoustic sound is key. Don't ever want to rely on having the need for electricity to get the job done on my drumming. Sure, I love digital. But I'll make my final image using an all-mechanical (battery less) medium-format film camera. Believe me, I can afford ANY drum kit many times over including electronic kits. But, you know, I settled with a used Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit because I fell in love with their wide tuning spectrum I get in MY living room where they reside. I've had them a few years already. Perfect. Why change that? Unlike most others posting, I don't want to gig. Don't need to gig. Nah, already did that in my early teens through college playing with musicians old enough to be my grand parents. A 22-piece Big Band. It stopped being fun. It became a job. I'm retiring from a federal job. I'll be playing what I want, when I want and how I want. Acoustic-only drums. Sweet and simple. But if merging with electronics makes you happy, by all means have at it.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So when your talking hybrid obviously sound reinforcement is a must and there is rub number one. As stated above big bands back in the day never used a drum PA which is so previlant today. People love to shove all those watts into a small space that does not need it, but because they use electronics they need to route to the PA.

Those mics you see on all those Buddy Rich videos is for recording him not sound reinforcement and he tensioned his drums to acoustically reach the back of the hall. The drums should project not the PA.

So below is a vid explaining the importance of drum projection to Buddy in the absence of drum sound reinforcement

Yeah I am an old guy

Last edited:

Drumbo61

Reaction score
Here is the elephant in the room. Yes electronic, synthetic, "plastic" drums sound pretty good. I have not seen, heard or played a set where the cymbals were worth a dam. For whatever reason, the manufacturers cannot duplicate cymbal sounds. Attack, dynamics, wash, aint happening.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I only have an ekit for practice or demos only. If it weren't for the small house/space/volume issue I'd have an acoustic practice kit. When it comes to recording our final cuts I'm 100% acoustic. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

robbie

Reaction score
Why do you want to sound exactly like someone else? Why buy a great kit to change the sound?

If you turn the kit into an interface it is no longer an instrument that requires a skilled musician. Anyone can hit an interface to trigger that exact sound, that requires little technique.

Taken a little out of context from the bus tapes but it applies -

"Let's see how you do up there without all the assistance" Buddy Rich
I remember an interview with Buddy and they asked him what he thought of electronic drums. His reply went along the lines of: "Someone asked me why I don't play electronic drums - they sound just like real drums! What an idiot...I already have real drums!"

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Nah, electronics is NOT for me outside of recording myself. I'm an acoustic person when it comes to drums, brass and stringed instruments. Ever heard a Big Band live without sound reinforcement? I have. That's how rehearsals were done. I fell in love with that sound. Pure instrument and musician. Nothing else. Beautiful! That said, the reason I play on the acoustic drums is because I like the acoustic sound. Having total dynamic control on that acoustic sound is key. Don't ever want to rely on having the need for electricity to get the job done on my drumming. Sure, I love digital. But I'll make my final image using an all-mechanical (battery less) medium-format film camera. Believe me, I can afford ANY drum kit many times over including electronic kits. But, you know, I settled with a used Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit because I fell in love with their wide tuning spectrum I get in MY living room where they reside. I've had them a few years already. Perfect. Why change that? Unlike most others posting, I don't want to gig. Don't need to gig. Nah, already did that in my early teens through college playing with musicians old enough to be my grand parents. A 22-piece Big Band. It stopped being fun. It became a job. I'm retiring from a federal job. I'll be playing what I want, when I want and how I want. Acoustic-only drums. Sweet and simple. But if merging with electronics makes you happy, by all means have at it.
I remember an interview with Buddy and they asked him what he thought of electronic drums. His reply went along the lines of: "Someone asked me why I don't play electronic drums - they sound just like real drums! I thought: What an idiot...I already have real drums!"
Buddy Rich was electronic long before being electronic was cool.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy Rich was electronic long before being electronic was cool.
Not to be the party pooper but this was in the 80’s when Mattel tried to ty in on the electonic linndrum and Simmons wave that was going on.

I think Bill Bruford, and drummers like Terry Santiel (Roce Royce) already started this wave early with drummers like Alan White (Yes) following suit quickly.

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
Interesting thread. My primary instrument is bass but I enjoy playing drums. I converted a Ludwig Accent kit this year with UFO Drums triggers and mesh heads and added Yamaha 3 zone cymbals. I don't have a drum module so instead the triggers and cymbals go into a device called an eDRUMin and then into a computer running Superior Drummer and out to a USB audio inteface.

I went this route so I can practice at night. Practicing has been going well so I looked into playing the kit live and found there are many challenges. Experienced "edrummers" use at least a dedicated sub and monitor such as QSC Ksub and 10.2 which weigh in at 100lbs so I would be transporting a full drum kit plus a PA. Edrum kits that sound good with headphones or in ear monitors need to be "tuned" to sound good live in each room.

Posting this to point out acoustic drums are more visceral, less complicated to setup and breakdown and you can skip all the tech troubleshooting. That said I love my edrum kit and might pickup a sub so I can play it out.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't DRUM! fold? Anyway, I generally eschew electronics, but when I played in the Carole King cover band with Susan Sansalone, I used a DrumKat for some conga sounds and percussion stuff like on "It's Too Late". It was fun.

Latest posts