DRUM Magazine Reveals Acoustic-Only Drummers are Piloting a Horse-and-Buggy in the Jet Age

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
In my most recent band, I offered to get a multi-zone pad to augment the kit and mimic various percussion gear that would've added to the songs. Two guys said not to bother because everything currently sounded perfectly fine, and we could rearrange future songs and adapt them to the gear we currently had (which we had already done on a few songs). The third guy wanted me to just play a cajon and a couple cymbals with brushes to make me as quiet as possible, without the ability to turn up.

To echo some other comments:
-people want to see an acoustic drum set being played
-people don't hear the nuances in tones from song to song

bertdrums

Reaction score
I am going to disagree on the acoustic being horse and buggy,
to understand any instrument you have to know the basics and why , where your coming from. I have been lucky enough to play on , owned the better sets and electronic. Both have a place and use in the world of drumming... it to us to educate and inform those that follow us on their uses

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I'm a sixty year old boomer who has never been impressed by electronic kits.

But...

I can see the appeal of a hybrid. I'm particularly impressed with the Yamaha EAD10. I can see myself picking one up and trying it out. There is enough to it that it could be usable without getting too involved or too weird.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I started a studio in the 80's and played just about every type of electronic drum made. I took three small pieces of ply with pickups and a sampler to jingle sessions. All this so the sequence could run later without me and sounds be subbed out, tempos and arrangements changed etc. I carried around hard drives. I listen to these songs now - many of which I have re-recorded or had covered since; and my one regret is that I didn't play acoustic drums on all of it. Now I spend my time coaxing the best I can from my instrument. And not sounding like anyone else. I tried the EAD10 - more as a replacement for my live microphones - and it failed on the top end. Plus it's more stuff to carry. If I went on tour as a hired hand and they wanted it I'd play with triggers - I did that in the 80's too. None of this is new. It's a way to sell electronics to drummers. I saw the top Roland clinician about 6 months ago by accident and I thought they sounded strange. There is no substitute for acoustic drums, that is presuming you need acoustic drums. The hybrid idea is fine but anything that means less Stick Control and more trips to the electronics store, more time setting up, more sound mixing from behind the kit - to copy Lars snare sound - is a bad nightmare to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts