Drum Memorabilia Dudes Will Still Pay For

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday on Reverb I found one of my favorite drummers' Reverb shop, and it's filled with a bunch of his old gear to which he's attached some VERY premium prices (e.g. a snare used for a track on his band's second album is listed at $20,000). It made me consider two things: (1) There's almost NOTHING I'd pay a big premium for just because it once belonged to one of my favorite drummers, and (2) some dudes WILL pay a premium for stuff owned by their favorite drummers.

A drummer friend and I were trying to come up with a list of drummers who could get huge premiums (let's say at least 200% of its normal market value) on gear just because they'd owned something. We didn't come up with very many.

1. Neil Peart
2. Tony Williams
3. Ringo
4. Charlie Watts
5. Maybe still Buddy?
6. Even less likely: Gene Krupa?
7. Dave Grohl
8. Phil Collins?

So, I guess my question for you goobs is twofold:

1. Which drummers do you think have a realistic chance of their stuff selling quickly as memorabilia for a premium price (say, 200% of normal market value)? For example, would the market support an easy sale of Steve Gadd's acrolite for $500 if there was an identical acrolite available for $250?

2. Is there a piece of drum gear that YOU personally would reach deep into your pocket for if your favorite drummer was selling it?

I've already given you my answer for #1. For #2: When Jack DeJohnette's Sonor HiLite kit was for sale last year-- if I were a lot richer and had a lot of cash on hand and didn't have pretty big college bills and other stuff, that might've been a serious temptation even at $25K and at Maxwell's. But probably not. But much of the music that I listened to in my young adulthood and early middle age was made on that drum kit, so I'd at least think about it. Then again, would there be ANY market for it when I stop playing as an old man? Probably not.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, if Neil Peart's old "Number One" snare goes up for sale, I might sell a kidney to bid on it.

I would only buy a particular piece if I knew I could get it to sound good(Gadd made an Ampex tape box sound amazing). Let's say, the crash that Charlie Watts used in the mid-60s or so on "Paint It, Black".

Dan

richardh253

Reaction score
I'm out of the collecting stage of life, but based on experiences good and not-so-good, if I was going to invest in a legacy kit I would trust and buy from Steve Maxwell. Only. Period. I don't mean to sound nasty, truly, but there is another dealer on the West Coast whose legacy-owned-by kits always seem to start at $29,995. Or $39,995. Consistently. And I had a bad experience at that dealer with a supposedly all-original Geo. Way snare that turned out to have DW parts. Just saying, it's more than the kit and the price tag. I don't think I recall any legacy kit at Maxwells (OK, you guys will tell me the exception I forgot) that went for such extravagant asking prices.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
200% over market isn't that much when talking about this stuff, I don't think.

Definitely still Gene Krupa. Sing, Sing, Sing makes him known to millions of people who don't even play drums. Elvin would be one on the other end of the spectrum, unknown by casuals, but revered among drummers. 200% for both of them, easily.

As for myself, I don't care who owned it before me. Not one bit, so I'm not paying one cent over market. And if I happened to come across something of historical importance, I'd almost feel guilty owning it and just keeping it hidden away.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn’t go after anything, but if something fell into my lap I would consider it. Buddy Rich, Joe Morello and Ed Shaugnessy stuff would tempt me most. (Does anyone care about Ed?)

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see a number of signed drums posted on Reverb from time to time but I often wonder whether these were actually owned, and more importantly, used, by the artist. Some well-known drummers appear to sign a lot of stuff they never used to command a higher price. I might pay $500 for an acrolite from a well-known drummer I admire and respect, but not the outrageous 5-figure prices some are asking for full kits. I'm also leery of scams and fake signatures, so I would probably limit my search to Maxwell's or some other highly-reputable shop.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are no objects that I covet and would be willing to go into debt for. However, if I had the means and these two items surfaced, I'd try like hell to become their caretaker.

The set-up that Stevie Wonder played on 'Superstition'

Joe Morello's silver sparkle Ludwig kit that (as far as I know) still resides within the walls of Eames Drum Co.

Latest posts