Drum mic bundles —best sound for value

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking at drum mic bundles and have narrowed down to Shure and Sennheiser.I considered Earthworks for a second, but it’s a little much for a beginner like me.

Please let me know your thoughts on these:

Shure

Sennheiser

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Sennheiser kick and tom mics and really like them. I use a SM57 on the snare or an Audix i5. You might want to look at the Audix bundle as well, great mics.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with other, or as Buffalo_drummer mentioned Audix as well. I lean towards the Shure 52 for kick, especially inside with no port, it is the best I've used. I use an old 57 on snare but I like the Senheisers on toms mostly the placement of them. Around here most clubs have there own so I rarely use them. Most of the clubs are using the Senheisers as you can get the 3 mic bundle which covers toms and snares as most have backline kits as well which are 4 piece kits. Most have AKG kick mic's which work well also. I have one in my extra bass drum and it's great....still lean towards the Shure 52 though.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Take a look at the sE vmic kit. They're great mics for the price. I know you stated you narrowed it down to two, but take a look at the specs in comparison.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Shure is fantastic. The 57/52 kit was my first mic kit, and the addition of the KSM137 is a great pairing. Those are also "everything" mics that you'll always have a need for, especially the 57s -- you'll never outgrow them.

The Sennheiser 604s are great tom mics, but they're more limited in scope, and if you eventually upgrade your tom mics, you won't really find a lot of other usage from those. I also don't really love them on snare.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got a link?
This is the arena pack, theres also smaller ones. I own two tom mics and use their clips on all my my rim mounted mics. I honestly replaced my 57 with their snare/tom mic until I added a small condenser on my snare drum. It sounded much better than the 57 IMO.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shure is fantastic. The 57/52 kit was my first mic kit, and the addition of the KSM137 is a great pairing. Those are also "everything" mics that you'll always have a need for, especially the 57s -- you'll never outgrow them.

The Sennheiser 604s are great tom mics, but they're more limited in scope, and if you eventually upgrade your tom mics, you won't really find a lot of other usage from those. I also don't really love them on snare.
I bought 2 of the shure 57/52 packs. I use 57 on snare and toms. I use 52 on the 15" speaker in the Leslie 122

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more variation to consider. A friend of mine modeled this set off the Earthworks bundle...

Core:
1. Shure Beta 91A for the kick

2. Pair of Blue Hummingbird microphones for the overheads (instead of the Shure KSM137s)

Add-ons as needed:
Shure SM57s for snare/toms
Yamaha Subkick (if can be found for reasonable price)

Good vid on the Shure Beta 52 vs 91A:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Northamusi

Reaction score
By itself, a Shure Beta 91A (or any variation thereof) is a terrible idea. You will not get significant bottom end from that mic simply because it was not designed to produce low end (it was designed to be placed on a table for recording corporate meetings). It is most commonly used in conjunction with another mic such as a Beta 52, Audix D6, Sennheiser e602 etc., where the '91 is used for the attack portion of the kick sound, and the other mic handles the bottom end. You might have fun with it, but you're better of with any of those kick mics I mentioned earlier.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
By itself, a Shure Beta 91A (or any variation thereof) is a terrible idea. You will not get significant bottom end from that mic simply because it was not designed to produce low end (it was designed to be placed on a table for recording corporate meetings). It is most commonly used in conjunction with another mic such as a Beta 52, Audix D6, Sennheiser e602 etc., where the '91 is used for the attack portion of the kick sound, and the other mic handles the bottom end. You might have fun with it, but you're better of with any of those kick mics I mentioned earlier.
1:00 vs 1:30 in this clip. My ear hears a lower pitched thud with the 91A and a little more round sustain. The 52 sounds more modern and compressed to me. Both cool sounding mics independent of one another, IMO.