Drum mic bundles —best sound for value

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like it has nothing below 400k.
Assume you mean 400hz, not 400k :)

do you have the filter engaged on the bottom of the mic? That puts a pretty aggressive cut from 200-800hz, with the most cut at 400. Without that turned on, the 91A is a very flat mic, especially down low. It doesn’t have the proximity effect hyping that dynamics like the 112, 52, and D6 do, but don’t mistake that for a lack of low end. The 91 is a set of studio monitor headphones while the standard “rock kick mics” are Beats :)

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assume you mean 400hz, not 400k :)

do you have the filter engaged on the bottom of the mic? That puts a pretty aggressive cut from 200-800hz, with the most cut at 400. Without that turned on, the 91A is a very flat mic, especially down low. It doesn’t have the proximity effect hyping that dynamics like the 112, 52, and D6 do, but don’t mistake that for a lack of low end. The 91 is a set of studio monitor headphones while the standard “rock kick mics” are Beats :)
I agree regarding that filter switch. Makes a big difference. This vid outlines the various tones you can get with this mic...pretty wide spectrum.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
By itself, a Shure Beta 91A (or any variation thereof) is a terrible idea. You will not get significant bottom end from that mic simply because it was not designed to produce low end (it was designed to be placed on a table for recording corporate meetings). It is most commonly used in conjunction with another mic such as a Beta 52, Audix D6, Sennheiser e602 etc., where the '91 is used for the attack portion of the kick sound, and the other mic handles the bottom end. You might have fun with it, but you're better of with any of those kick mics I mentioned earlier.
I have to completely disagree with your statement regarding the lack of low end on the 91A. There is a much wider frequency range in that mic than there was in the previous version, and there is plenty of low end for it to be used as a stand alone/single kick mic. I have three bass drums that have 91A’s installed in them, including an 18x24, and I’ve never lacked low end in recording OR had any complaints from sound engineers at clubs & festivals in the five years I’ve been using them.

That said, I had two of the original Beta 91’s and those did indeed lack bottom end. They were perfect for metal gigs but required a 52 or D6 to add the bottom.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you using the curved or notched edge on the bottom? Mine are rock solid, using the notched edge.

http://instagr.am/p/CDc26jZDAJV/
Just tried the various settings and still having problems. Here are all three possibilities. Didn’t try the third, but neither of the others works on my RB hoops. Which one works for you. I’m envious! Also, what heads do you use? The hoops on my heads are flush with the die cast hoops, so there is no way to grip the die casts. Maybe I need shallower heads.

one

4F682483-2394-4675-8B94-8B032400695D.jpeg

two

8416B5A1-9901-4691-8FB2-E87165F97C99.jpeg

three

2FDF1959-E531-419C-A6E3-800911203D97.jpeg

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just tried the various settings and still having problems. Here are all three possibilities. Didn’t try the third, but neither of the others works on my RB hoops. Which one works for you. I’m envious! Also, what heads do you use? The hoops on my heads are flush with the die cast hoops, so there is no way to grip the die casts. Maybe I need shallower heads.

one

View attachment 500062
two

View attachment 500063
three

View attachment 500064
I use the second position. Remo Emperors and Ambassadors in various finishes/films. Mine are Renowns, but I replaced the stock 302 double-flanged hoops with USA Custom die-casts.

Last edited:

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to completely disagree with your statement regarding the lack of low end on the 91A. There is a much wider frequency range in that mic than there was in the previous version, and there is plenty of low end for it to be used as a stand alone/single kick mic. I have three bass drums that have 91A’s installed in them, including an 18x24, and I’ve never lacked low end in recording OR had any complaints from sound engineers at clubs & festivals in the five years I’ve been using them.

That said, I had two of the original Beta 91’s and those did indeed lack bottom end. They were perfect for metal gigs but required a 52 or D6 to add the bottom.
Completely agree with you here. I record dang near on a daily basis with a 91A inside my kick. Granted I use an earthworks SR20LS outside as well, the Beta provides plenty of low end on its own. I could provide a video showing the frequencies it captures as a reference.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree with you here. I record dang near on a daily basis with a 91A inside my kick. Granted I use an earthworks SR20LS outside as well, the Beta provides plenty of low end on its own. I could provide a video showing the frequencies it captures as a reference.
I’d be interested in seeing that vid :)

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Until nowadays I have been using 57s
on my snare, kick, and toms, and a pair of 58s as overheads going through a mixer into a Tascam Porta2 or a
Yamaha MT120 4track recorder.

Back in the days when recording with
home-studio analog casette multitracks
was more simple to bear, I just let the
57s and 58s do Their job: Capture sound.
Any other tasks such as EQing and processing were handled by whatever outboard gear I had at the moment.
The Sony and Yamaha mini disc
multitrack recorders capped off
the analog multitrack recorders
and Fostex began the digital
home recording trend with their
line of hard disk multitrack machines.

I'm now running from my Behringer mixer into a Fostex VF80 .
The mic game has changed.
I can no longer use "just any batch of
mics per drum" to mic a drum kit...
...now I will need a set of mics that
are consistent in relative quality to
one another... I am thinking of getting
a 7-piece Behringer drum mics set
that are now listed for Pre-order ($99)
at Sweetwater.com
...that mic set will be in stores in a
few months, so they say at Sweetwater.

I can't wait that long. If I want to mic
a kit today I'd have to buy used mics
due to my budget limits.

I wanna own my own Shure Beta52 mic
soOo bad it hurts every time I see one!
It not only sounds good, it also looks
like ED209! LOL

I also have my eye on a used CAD
Kick drum mic in Facebook Marketplace,
but how can I trust that venue with
buying gear from someone who is
located in another US State without
getting ripped off!

I either shop locally or from
Sweetwater.com or Reverb.com.

But the upcoming Behringer drum mic set is new and something I'm looking
forward to, and it will go nicely with
my Behringer 20-channel mixer...

Last edited:

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a lot of back and forth, I’m going with the sE Electronics v-pack Club. It’s a starting point. I know nothing about mics.

Also don’t want to go down a rabbit hole (cymbals are enough for me).

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started with an Audix DP-Quad pack and built from there with dedicated rack and floor tom mics. I think the DP Quad is an excellent set of mics. The D6, despite it being known for its clicky/punchy tone, actually can have a nice round tone to it when placed outside a full reso headed bass drum. But most sound engineers will only mic up a ported bass head, so it's reputation continues.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking at drum mic bundles and have narrowed down to Shure and Sennheiser.I considered Earthworks for a second, but it’s a little much for a beginner like me.

Please let me know your thoughts on these:

Shure

Sennheiser
I guess we should ask you what are you
Looking for? I’m a beginner myself and found two overheads and a kick do fine
For my little home dealings

But if you’re looking beyond that the options and price are limitless
But I found what I wanted used for less than 200 bucks

But others here are much more knowledgeable than me

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After a lot of back and forth, I’m going with the sE Electronics v-pack Club. It’s a starting point. I know nothing about mics.

Also don’t want to go down a rabbit hole (cymbals are enough for me).

Great choice. You'll be really pleased with those. sE makes great mics.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we should ask you what are you
Looking for? I’m a beginner myself and found two overheads and a kick do fine
For my little home dealings

But if you’re looking beyond that the options and price are limitless
But I found what I wanted used for less than 200 bucks

But others here are much more knowledgeable than me
Live, some home recording

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Live, some home recording
Any of those packages will do
Fine

If price is an object then that Glynn John’s thing discussed here with a kick and two condensers will do you

That way any Shure audix mics will do fine

Course if you want studio quality then options are limitless although I think myself you teach a certain price point then you get diminishing returns as you go higher

But that’s just my opinion