Drum mic suggestions

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck drum mics for a full size kit (5-6 piece)?

phdamage

Reaction score
what kind of stuff are you recording? and what kind of sound are you after?

how many inputs are you working with and what's your budget?

varatrodder

Reaction score
I use Audix for live gigs. I like to splurge on my snare and tom, and then cheap out on my toms. I use the i5 for my snare, D6 for my bass, and I like the F2 for my toms. For my overheads, I have a cheap set of Behringer C-2 condensers that sound surprisingly good.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Depends totally on the situation. In some situations you may get more bang for your buck with a great overhead pair and a kick mic, but that doesn't work for everything.

As for kick mics, I'd like to extol the flexibility of the EV N/D 868, which may or may not still be in production. I don't keep up with that sort of thing.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are playing some shows where they provide the sound man, but I have to provide drum mics and they require all drums to be mic’d.

Im looking at the following set up to get me started.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are playing some shows where they provide the sound man, but I have to provide drum mics and they require all drums to be mic’d.

Im looking at the following set up to get me started.

If you have the $, I'd go with the Audix. I had the Shures and they're serviceable but Audix is an upgrade for sure. I just moved to Sennheisers myself, e604's on the toms and e902 on the kick with an SM57 on the snare.

drums1225

Reaction score
The Shure PGA kit is probably decent enough to get you in the game, but I'd spend a little more and get used pro mics that you can use for many years, without the need to upgrade.

In the used market:
  • Bass Drum: Shure Beta 52a or 91a, AKG D112, or Audix D6 - around $150,
  • Snare: Shure SM57 standard of the industry, used on countless albums - around $70, used.
  • Toms: Sennheiser e604, clip on mics, no stands necessary - Grab a 3 pack (used) for around $250.
  • Overheads: MXL603s - $160 for a matched pair.
Around $630 will get you much better mics than the PG series @ $500. I own or have owned most of these mics, and have used all of them. None will let you down.

phdamage

Reaction score
can get behind suggestions from drums1225 aside from the overhead suggestion. i'd be shocked if you need overheads in most rooms under say 500 capacity.

but if you need overheads, i think those mxls are super brittle and harsh, not to mention will have a very hot output - too hot if you're loud. if you must get overheads, hell, a pair of audio technica 4033s would do the job well, retain their value and be super useful for many other circumstances - i've said i could probably record an entire band using only 4033s. can be found used under $200 a piece pretty often.

drums1225

Reaction score
I didn't find the MXL 603s to be brittle at all. I used them for 20 years before getting Earthworks SR25. I still have them. Of course, the Earthworks are clearly better, but they also cost 6 times as much. I also have the MXL 604s and *they* sound brittle. I use them as ambient/audience mics for my band's iem rig.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bass drum - Shure Beta 52a
Toms and snare - 3 pack of Sennheisser E604
Overhead - Guitar player's Behringer? works well and it's free
Never went any further as I rarely need to mic my own kit and sound is provide at most gigs

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
can get behind suggestions from drums1225 aside from the overhead suggestion. i'd be shocked if you need overheads in most rooms under say 500 capacity.

but if you need overheads, i think those mxls are super brittle and harsh, not to mention will have a very hot output - too hot if you're loud. if you must get overheads, hell, a pair of audio technica 4033s would do the job well, retain their value and be super useful for many other circumstances - i've said i could probably record an entire band using only 4033s. can be found used under $200 a piece pretty often.
^ This ^

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Settled in on these after reading several good reviews and speaking in person with guys who are using them. They should get the job done for some recording at home and a few live gigs.

3E14069E-3D6C-4CD2-804C-13A4B7BA94FE.jpeg