Drum mics

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to get the smallest drum mics I can ,
my Sennheiser e 602 s are in my way .
I run 8/10/12 racks so it doesn’t take much to make me feel cramped on the 8 and 10 .
I did a google search but didn’t find the really small ones I’ve seen ..
I’m thinking like this but maybe not as expensive….
093C938A-04A2-41B7-B9A3-A0218D0BA001.png

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score

Are you talking about e604's? If so, for me, it's not that mics are too big, but that the clips that come with them position them over the head way too far. I would be fine using those with different mounts - but mounts they come with are just too claustrophobic for me.

drums1225

Reaction score
Are you talking about e604's? If so, for me, it's not that mics are too big, but that the clips that come with them position them over the head way too far. I would be fine using those with different mounts - but mounts they come with are just too claustrophobic for me.

Hey Dave, I'm sure you remember the Radio Shack "Wondermics" from the heyday of RMMP, which were/are knock-offs of the e604's. The Wondermic clip-on mounts absolutely position the mics better than the Sennheisers.

I use the Wondermics when my band does its own sound, and on my studio kit, I use the above pictured Earthworks DM20.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wish the earthworks were cheaper. They sound amazing. Was lucky to get to use some for a festival last year and I was amazed.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish the earthworks were cheaper. They sound amazing. Was lucky to get to use some for a festival last year and I was amazed.

Yep the earthworks are very nice. For a bit lower cost option in a similar footprint, there are the Beyerdynamics TGD58c's.

Getting the mics out of the way is nice, but it may also affect your sound a bit. I continually struggle between the two. The drums sound better with a mic right in the center, obviously that won't work, but the closer you can get the better.

To me one of the answers is to get better at playing around them. I keep mics set up on my kit at all times and purposely put them where they sound best and practice practice practice to keep from hitting them. My snare mic is a Senn MD421, which is very large, and I keep it about 3 inches inside the rim toward the middle of the snare at all times. It's got a few dents in the pop filter, but I no longer hit it very often.

gabo

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes 604s

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW Sennheiser redesigned the clips for the e604’s awhile back. I’ve got two sets of them, the first set came with the older curved style and they suck and have since been replaced the newer clips. The current versions allow you to clip them on in multiple positions and I never have an issue with them sitting too far over the edge of the head, even if I use smaller (8”-10”) toms.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 8/10/12 racks so it doesn’t take much to make me feel cramped on the 8 and 10 .
I did a google search but didn’t find the really small ones I’ve seen ..
I’m thinking like this but maybe not as expensive….
View attachment 531113
Have you given Rode and Audix a look? Huge amount of bang for your buck.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FWIW Sennheiser redesigned the clips for the e604’s awhile back. I’ve got two sets of them, the first set came with the older curved style and they suck and have since been replaced the newer clips. The current versions allow you to clip them on in multiple positions and I never have an issue with them sitting too far over the edge of the head, even if I use smaller (8”-10”) toms.

Was gonna say this same thing.

Old style:
old.jpg

New style:
new.jpg

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome !!! I might just go that route .
Thank you !!!

jmato

Reaction score
A sound guy recently swapped out my SM57 (which is way clunky and awkward) with the Shure Beta56A for my snare, and the difference in sound was remarkable. The 56 also stays out of the way due to its design. I just bought one for my snare myself I was so impressed. (Sticking with my Audix mics for toms and kick with the Audix clips, which seem to be easily adjustable and out of my way just fine.) Hope this helps.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A sound guy recently swapped out my SM57 (which is way clunky and awkward) with the Shure Beta56A for my snare, and the difference in sound was remarkable. The 56 also stays out of the way due to its design. I just bought one for my snare myself I was so impressed. (Sticking with my Audix mics for toms and kick with the Audix clips, which seem to be easily adjustable and out of my way just fine.) Hope this helps.
Check the A53M shock mount, which helps in getting it out of the way. Its pictured in my post above.

The Granelli Labs 57 is a nice one too.

1638461518514.png

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tried most of the affordable brands and seem to keep coming back to the 604s. I had the old style, sold them, dumb. Got the new style, smart. I didn't realize they'd changed the style of the mount but knew something was different. Thanks for pointing that out, bpalluzi.

20211124_204649.jpg

jmato

Reaction score
Check the A53M shock mount, which helps in getting it out of the way. Its pictured in my post above.

The Granelli Labs 57 is a nice one too.

View attachment 531365

Thanks Musiqman. I used to put my SM57 on a stand between my hats and tom like the photo above , but without the right angle of the Granelli modification, it still always seemed to be in the way and would fall off the clip too often (not the mic's fault). That A53M looks sweet! The Beta 56A, also with the right angle and the screw threads, fits right on my Audix clip at a perfect angle to the drum without being obtrusive; plus I found the sound to be better with the 56A - that could just be personal preference. Both seem to be good solutions.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Shure Beta 56 is a great mic for snare. And a bonus is that it's also a great vocal mic to use for drummers because of the offset input plug. The cable and plug don't get in the way when playing and singing. The Beta 57 can also work as a snare or vocal mic if you use a cable with a right angle connector. The A53M shock mount can also be used on the Beta 57.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
The Shure Beta 56 is a great mic for snare. And a bonus is that it's also a great vocal mic to use for drummers because of the offset input plug. The cable and plug don't get in the way when playing and singing. The Beta 57 can also work as a snare or vocal mic if you use a cable with a right angle connector. The A53M shock mount can also be used on the Beta 57.

That's because the 56, 57 & 58 are all the same mic in different packages/configurations

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And it's the different packages/configurations that give each of them slightly different frequency responses and make them better/easier to use for different applications.