Drum Pedal Backstroke

FrizzleFried

Reaction score
Is there any good tips on how to prevent the backstroke from a pedal from going back and whacking the top of one's foot? I mean, aside from training yourself to not ALLOW the backstroke to go back that far...

....I just realized that I've developed a pretty big bruise on the top of my left foot...

>facepalm<

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could reduce your beater stroke angle.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're not playing a Ludwig Speed King by any chance?

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The ball of your foot shouldn't be leaving the pedal to allow the beater to swing all the way back like a sling-shot. If you are bouncing on the pedal, that's not really gonna give you control. Simply shift the heel up and feel the pedal's motion through the ball of your foot versus any kind of uncontrolled bounce. If you are playing heel down? Same thing.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Maybe drop your seat a little and try generating more of the stroke from the ankle instead of the whole leg. Heel down practice would help with that for when you go back to heel up.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
May need an adjustment, may want to try a different pedal. I had this problem with various DW pedals; switched to Yamaha and no longer have that issue.

FrizzleFried

Reaction score
These pedals have no adjustment for angle unfortunately... :(

I did rectify the situation by cranking up the spring tension HOWEVER... it makes drumming a bit more difficult over time (obviously).

:(