Drum Placement with Vintage Drum Sets

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My primary kit right now is a 1960s Slingerland with a rail mounted tom. I have found the sweet spot with mounting it, and like the positioning. But I know that many of you prefer to put a rack tom on a snare stand for positioning and increased resonance. I came across video of Papa Jo Jones playing with Coleman Hawkins in the 1960s on a Ludwig or WFL kit and what has to be the worst drum positioning I could imagine for myself. The tom?!? And the hi hat is pretty much on top of the snare. And I know this isn't a fluke from that show because I've seen plenty of other video of Jo Jones with the drums set up this way. Just goes to show how varying our positioning preferences are and each player makes their setup "work" in their own way.
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.44.45 AM.png

Entire concert with Jo Jones on drums is here (starting at about 59:50):

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the video! Interesting that Jones is in the middle of his solo and flat-out stops at about the 9:00 mark to adjust the bass pedal (I think) then keeps going. He had been looking annoyed with it before he does that.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this picture of Tony was on the cover of Downbeat in the late 1970’s.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My primary kit right now is a 1960s Slingerland with a rail mounted tom. I have found the sweet spot with mounting it, and like the positioning. But I know that many of you prefer to put a rack tom on a snare stand for positioning and increased resonance. I came across video of Papa Jo Jones playing with Coleman Hawkins in the 1960s on a Ludwig or WFL kit and what has to be the worst drum positioning I could imagine for myself. The tom?!? And the hi hat is pretty much on top of the snare. And I know this isn't a fluke from that show because I've seen plenty of other video of Jo Jones with the drums set up this way. Just goes to show how varying our positioning preferences are and each player makes their setup "work" in their own way.
View attachment 471889
Entire concert with Jo Jones on drums is here (starting at about 59:50):
Both Gene and Buddy had their hihats pretty low, and more so in the older days.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Gene and Buddy had their hihats pretty low, and more so in the older days.
mel Lewis talks about how the hihat stands didnt go up very high back then. (30’s~40’s~50’s) He also mentions that drummers would play with the right hand under the left in order to reach the lower hihat cymbals.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel Lewis talks about how the hihat stands didnt go up very high back then. (30’s~40’s~50’s) He also mentions that drummers would play with the right hand under the left in order to reach the lower hihat cymbals.
Can see Buddy do that under hand in the 40s on you tube
and Elvin in 1991....

during bass solo...can actually see it better (on that tune "Is There A Jackson In the House?") on the 91 Stuttgart VHS which isn't on utube anymore) there he starts that tune under hand

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think this picture of Tony was on the cover of Downbeat in the late 1970’s.
Wow, that setup would be unplayable for me! But I’m not in the same universe as Tony...

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well... strange angles and heights is part of one's personal taste... as long as it works, and it sure did for this one!

Attachments