Drum repair (finish)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who does good work with drum repair?
I'm picking up an almost flawless MIJ Bubinga kit (Natural Cordia)
The only problem is with the batter side hoop. It has some paint chips, and a bit of rash on the edges. In the pic of the hoop I have, it looks as if the wood is peeled a bit.
I ended up finding it at a GC in Witchita, and had it shipped to Delaware.
They called it excellent condition, but with GC, I'll have to see for myself.
If I decide it can't be fixed, or I can't find a replacement, I'll get my $ back, plus the shipping.
I'll post a pic of the damage, and hopefully I can get some opinions, or referals.
I have 45 days to decide.
First pic is the kit, 2nd is of the damage.
Thanks.

Attachments

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to gig with this kit? If so, I wouldn't even worry about those nicks, being on the batter side it's bound to get beat up a bit. To answer your original question; take it to any higher end furniture restoration place and they will be able to fix it.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Next month, I will celebrate 42 years of gigging with my Gretsch USA Customs.
My drums will never be as pretty as those Tama shells (but they sound better with age) -- I would think nothing of a scratch on a batter hoop.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
That looks like a candidate for placing on the bottom, where the bass pedal goes. (if it weren't already that place.)

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks like a candidate for placing on the bottom, where the bass pedal goes. (if it weren't already that place.)
Came here to say this too. Move it to the bottom, put on a hoop saver if you're really crazy about it. That's not damage in my mind, that's play wear, which comes with playing drums.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Came here to say this too. Move it to the bottom, put on a hoop saver if you're really crazy about it. That's not damage in my mind, that's play wear, which comes with playing drums.
I was thinking the same thing, but there are other little blemishes on the hoop.
I'm actually not planning on using the kit. I play mostly Maple, but started collecting Bubinga kits, as I believe they will be collectors items.
It's getting harder, and harder to find excellent condition Bubinga kits MIJ. I do love the sound for certain applications, and will use Bubinga, and B/B's on occasion.
Thanks for all the input.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, but there are other little blemishes on the hoop.
I'm actually not planning on using the kit. I play mostly Maple, but started collecting Bubinga kits, as I believe they will be collectors items.
It's getting harder, and harder to find excellent condition Bubinga kits MIJ. I do love the sound for certain applications, and will use Bubinga, and B/B's on occasion.
Thanks for all the input.
Honestly man, if you're not going to use them then stop collecting them and sell them. They're instruments, tools really, and they're meant to be played, not put away in a closet for years and years and years. Sell them to a musician who is going to gig them or record with them. It's not all about money and having "stuff".

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had some seriously damaged (wrap melted, extra holes, wrong parts) items I returned for full price/S&H refunds (never mind times I was sent the wrong item!), but this is on the fence. Other than the chip, how is the rest of the kit?

Yes, that is some minor damage. But I don't know if that qualifies for a return - interested to see how that plays out if you try and return the kit......

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly man, if you're not going to use them then stop collecting them and sell them. They're instruments, tools really, and they're meant to be played, not put away in a closet for years and years and years. Sell them to a musician who is going to gig them or record with them. It's not all about money and having "stuff".
I only use 1 B/B, and 1 Bubinga. A great combo for me, has been a Bubinga kick, and B/B toms.
As for telling me what I should, or shouldn't collect. Please don't

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had some seriously damaged (wrap melted, extra holes, wrong parts) items I returned for full price/S&H refunds (never mind times I was sent the wrong item!), but this is on the fence. Other than the chip, how is the rest of the kit?

Yes, that is some minor damage. But I don't know if that qualifies for a return - interested to see how that plays out if you try and return the kit......
I found an old timer woodsmith that also occasionally works with musical instruments. I saw some of his work, and it's amazing. He's also retired, and giving me 1970's prices.
I'll post the after pic.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think you'd do better investigating in something other than drums. It's very hard to sell high end drums (used) nowadays, and the amount of folks playing instruments is waning.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's minor wear on a used kit and wouldn't be grounds for a return unless the seller stated they were completely without flaw. And if they did state that, who would believe them other than on a brand new kit still in the boxes? That kit could certainly be in excellent condition of the shells and chrome are very clean. A $25 mark on a kick drum hoop doesn't really change the value or condition of a $1500-$2500 kit.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you'd do better investigating in something other than drums. It's very hard to sell high end drums (used) nowadays, and the amount of folks playing instruments is waning.
Maybe so, but I really enjoy it. There's a lot worse things I could be spending $ on. I'll never play all the Paiste cymbals I have either, but for some reason I just like em. Maybe it's the hunt? Idk??

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ended up leaving with the last brand new Tama Bubinga kit GC has, or will get (dispite what the website says. There is a bait, and switch going on) The kit I had delivered was trashed, yet marked excellent. I got the brand new one by a fluke accident. It was accidentally put in a used pile for years. I happen to have noticed the logo painted on.
It's sweet! Exotic finish, with that old stock wood, and got $ back.

Attachments

m_anderson

Reaction score
If it were me, I would refinish the hoop myself. My Dad was a master at refinishing antique furniture, a craft I wish I had picked up from him. This looks like an easy job to get some experience if you like that kind of thing. If not, just about any wood worker could refinish a BD hoop. Nice kit btw.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am interested in how much these kits will actually appreciate in 10-20 years......
I've never heard of a rare, exotic, grail Tama kit.......or any bubinga kit to date.
Hope it works out for the OP......and nice new kit score!

m_anderson

Reaction score
I am interested in how much these kits will actually appreciate in 10-20 years......
I've never heard of a rare, exotic, grail Tama kit.......or any bubinga kit to date.
Hope it works out for the OP......and nice new kit score!
I personally don't think they will appreciate much, but folks here follow this stuff more closely than I do. I am not a collector. The only thing I know is a real rarity and collectible drum is the original Ludwig Black Beauty. When I ordered my Carolina Drumworks Bubinga snare, Jeff Hankin told me Bubinga is not an endangered species, it's just on the "watch list" as he called it. Countries like China are grabbing all they can get. Other types of Rosewood are much harder to get than Bubinga. Only time will tell. But I agree, there is no "rare, exotic, grail Tama kit.......or any bubinga kit to date".

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think they will appreciate much, but folks here follow this stuff more closely than I do. I am not a collector. The only thing I know is a real rarity and collectible drum is the original Ludwig Black Beauty. When I ordered my Carolina Drumworks Bubinga snare, Jeff Hankin told me Bubinga is not an endangered species, it's just on the "watch list" as he called it. Countries like China are grabbing all they can get. Other types of Rosewood are much harder to get than Bubinga. Only time will tell. But I agree, there is no "rare, exotic, grail Tama kit.......or any bubinga kit to date".
If it doesn't, I had fun. Even if they don't appreciate a penny from today, I've tripled my $, at prices that will sell.
Look at what how much they appreciated this last year, let alone since 2017.
Amazon had easily 25+ kits 4 months ago.
Go on Amazon today, and look at the prices of Bubinga Starclassics. They're starting at $6500, up to $8600, and only 3 left.
Simple economics of supply, and demand. In 2 weeks, I'd bet there will be none left on Amazon. I got the last one from Guitar Center, and that was only because I found a misplaced one, in an unorganized store.
I also paid 1200 less than what it should have went for.
I'm in the black, I'm having a blast, and have some gorgeous kits.
Bubinga, as far as I know, and the research I've done, is the hardest wood drum kits have been made from, plus they sound like no other drums (even the B/B's)
When Ivory first became illegal, and you can go back in time, wouldn't you buy up as much of it as possible?
I guess that's why I'm not saying "I'm going to be rich from 20 something Bubinga kits. Rather, I'm speculating they will be rare collectors items.
You can even look at mint, or even good condition vintage kits, or SS kits. When they were readily available, the people who stocked up on em, are sitting pretty.
That's just my thoughts. Maybe I'm an idiot, but why would anyone care what I do with my $? If it has no effect on my lifestyle, I enjoy it, and I've seen the prices skyrocket....
If my argument has a flaw, I'm all ears.
BTW, a Bubinga Bass drum, with B/B toms makes one great sounding kit. Wow!

Latest posts