Drum restoration

chris_s

Reaction score
Hi, I am just about to start a drum restoration, it is a military drum dated 1963. inside, so thi might not be the best place to go looking for answers.
Although the manufacturer painted on the drum says Henry Potter I believe it to be a premier drum and have spoken via email with Pete Woods (Potters) who said it was a premier "67".
The condition is average for an old drum, but I think it will be the hardware which I will struggle with. The most problematic is likely to be finding a top/internal snare mechanism.
I originally thought that it was a "forty" model, or an early 40/60, however looking at the 40/60 the mounting holes appear to be different.
I have seen some marching drums from the 80's that have a top snare that might fit, but do not know the model number.
I have attached some photos.
Is there any contact that could help with identifying the correct snare for the top?
The heads are Everplay Extra 14", but with a wooden flesh ring, the top head is flaking, can it be re-painted ?
Thanks, Chris

Attachments

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, that is a cool drum. I have no information to help you so good luck with your project.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice as is. Don't know anything about it. I'd just buy a modern head like a Fiberskyn on top to give it an old school vibe.
A Sharpie will darken the exposed wood. Try to clean the metal parts and be done with it.

Are you trying to save this in original condition? Saving to display and have it sit on the shelf, or one that you actually want to use?

chris_s

Reaction score
It could be played a couple of times per year, which is why I am looking for the internal top snare.
There are so many versions of Premier snares, but I think I might eventually identyfy one from the screw holes and the marks on the shell :)
It has been stored in a smokers house and it's pretty dirty, the drag ropes are brown and rotten, and the white paintwork is quite yellow.
I think the heads can be saved, no real damage, just the white"paint" on the inside top is flaking.

I'm not actually a drummer but a guitar player, the drum is from my dad's old regiment and it would be nice to have it played at the St Georges dinner next April, so I have a bit of time to try and get it drumming again.

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
fantastic drum, I would gently clean, replace ropes if you need them.
yellowed paint might clean up a bit but I wouldn’t risk damaging it with any harsh cleaners. I have refurbished old metal parts using the “blue dawn”treatment, which is soaking metal parts in undiluted dishwasher liquid over night, then scrubbing, which cleans up chromed parts very well.
Good for you restoring you dad’s drum.
BTW, I’m Canadian but both my dad and his father were born in a “Sunderland cottage” just across the Wear from the stadium of light.

chris_s

Reaction score
The ropes are long past their best, but a new cotton rope set is only £10-20, so it on the list of things to do.
I have seen people rub chrome parts with aluminium foil, luckily although grubby it isnt rusty!

Canada is a place on my bucket list, my dad was over there in the 80's with the Lorne Scots doing 6mths "training"... from the photos it looked more like one big holiday in Winnipeg/Calgary!