Drum Risers, Who’s Carrying one?

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a study portable drum riser? Thanks

Blisco

Reaction score
Budget?

For me, the Intellistage is unbeatable. Compact, highly portable and super stable. I love it! If you can be creative with stands/hardware, you can have a very small footprint. Mine in 3X3 panels. I used to have 4X4 panels and they were just too big and harder to handle. I carry this to all suitable gigs and it fits easily in the ole minivan.

Twenty years ago, I made the common wood riser with X brace and folding deck. It was super heavy and awkward to carry. I ended up burning it in a fire pit. When I found this Road Ready staging, I bought it straight away. It's an excellent investment beyond it's usefulness and good looks and portability. I choose the 16" height and it's ideal for anywhere.

Attachments

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Budget?

For me, the Intellistage is unbeatable. Compact, highly portable and super stable. I love it! If you can be creative with stands/hardware, you can have a very small footprint. Mine in 3X3 panels. I used to have 4X4 panels and they were just too big and harder to handle. I carry this to all suitable gigs and it fits easily in the ole minivan.

Twenty years ago, I made the common wood riser with X brace and folding deck. It was super heavy and awkward to carry. I ended up burning it in a fire pit. When I found this Road Ready staging, I bought it straight away. It's an excellent investment beyond it's usefulness and good looks and portability. I choose the 16" height and it's ideal for anywhere.
The Intellistage stuff is very well built, I wish I had the budget for an 8'x8' (I can't scale back to fit a 6'x6' unfortunately).

What are you using for skirting on your riser? Do I see lights under there, too?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw this one on the web... can't remember the source/or if was for sale... but I thought it was impressive and I thought, One day...

If you can weld Al or know somebody that can, maybe you can make your own?

Attachments

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
It hurts my head to think of packing something like that. Back in the day, I was making my own risers that were bulkier and heavier and not as nice, and I did it gladly. Now that I'm older, possibly, but not necessarily wiser, and most definitely lazier, I see things differently. I'm trying to scale down my rig to light stands, light drums, and less of each. More power to those who still have the drive and energy and don't take a full day to recover from each gig!

Blisco

Reaction score
The Intellistage stuff is very well built, I wish I had the budget for an 8'x8' (I can't scale back to fit a 6'x6' unfortunately).

What are you using for skirting on your riser? Do I see lights under there, too?
I use the skirt clips (velcro) that clamp on. One of the band wives sewed the skirt with velcro on it. It's three pieces so I can arrange it however it works best. Normally I just use the longest main piece across the front when I'm on a bigger stage and flanked by amps or road cases. Takes about 28 seconds to install.

No lights underneath. I could put some under there. I have a couple of Chauvet Color Pallets that would work but with a skirt on it doesn't really make sense.

Believe it or not, I want and need this to be light and portable and fast to set up. The riser legs all fit in a small PR 24" rolling bag I had lying around and the panels are super light. Plus, I think the kit sounds better decoupled and the cymbals don't bleed into the vocal mics nearly as much as when I'm on the floor. That said, both my holiday gigs this weekend will be sans riser due to each venues' "unique" load-ins and stage areas.

I probably use it about 4 out of 10 gigs either because I have a perfect load in or the venue is conducive to having it on 'stage'. Some bars and clubs are just not laid out well for bands, let alone risers and trusses.

Here's my former 8X8 riser. The kit was much bigger and it is still dwarfed by this monster. Imagine fitting this on most bar stages?!! I was a stage hog! So much unused space. So when I downsized the kit, I purposely designed it around the footprint of a 6X6 AND knew rounded front panels were mandatory. No more sharp corners to take out your lead singer as he/she (in my case) moved around stage and even up on the riser. (this was 10 years ago)

Included a better outdoor shot of my current rig to show how I managed to reduce the drum-print to fit on a smaller riser using Atlas hardware to remove stands. Stand tripods posed a problem and I'm not a rack guy. Note the hi hat leg and right cymbal stand leg. They're right to the edge but I've never had one single problem in a hundred uses. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts