Drum Room Organization Nearing Completion

View attachment 11247

My drum room is shaping up since I set up shelving that holds most of my vintage kits. I should have all the miscellaneous drum gear sorted out, and stashed on the top shelves of the shelving unit within a few more days. Here's a list of the kits in the picture from left to right:

1963 Leedy Black Diamond Pearl Shelly Manne kit (20-13-16-matching Shelly Manne snare)

1963 Rogers Champagne Glass Glitter Holiday kit with Luxor snare (20-12-16-matching Luxor snare)

1965 Leedy Red Satin Flame (20-12-14-matching six lug snare). Note the ten lugs on the bass drum.

1961 Leedy Green Sparkle re-wrap--were a beat up Silver Sparkle--(22-13-16-matching 50's Radio King Student model snare that was a stripped shell)

195? or 196? Franken Leedy all refinished in Piano Black Lacquer (20-12-14-matching Rogers Luxor in factory Black wrap) Tom holder is Tama--fold out spurs, floor tom leg brackets, and mounted tom receiver are Ludwig

1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's Leedy kit re-wrapped in White 3-D Moire (mid 60's 16x18 floor tom to bass drum conversion--50's 12x16 marching drum to floor tom conversion--40's 7x11 mounted tom--70's Black Galaxy Acrolite snare drum)

On the floor set up, and awaiting arrival of the last few parts is my latest acquisition. This kit has been identified by fellow forumites as a 1955-1958 Slingerland kit--Blue Glass Glitter (14x22--9x13--16x16--matching solid maple Krupa snare with clamshell strainer)

let's see your drum rooms. I could always borrow some of your ideas to improve mine.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Re: Drum Room Oranization Nearing Completion

beautiful stuff howie. thats a great way to have it all organized and easily showcase the fine collection that you have. the bdp's and the green sparkles really stand out nicely. well done sir.

mike

Thanks, Mike.

I've posted this before. But, I hope this will help others who are faced with organizational problems. I bought the first two shelving units at Lowes for $99 each. The heavy wire shelves (5 of them) and the uprights are chrome plated and adjustable. I use four of them. The unit measures 18" deep by 48" wide by 72" tall. Someone on the forum suggested that Target might have them, too. I found the third unit at Target for $59. It's the same thing. Guess where unit number 4 will come from if I need it. After taking close to an hour to carefully build the first unit, it took only 15 minutes for the others. And, I now have three unused shelves. I think that some home improvement stores sell the pieces separately--I may just buy the uprights and one shelf if that's the case. Then I'll have my fourth unit.

Drumjinx

Drum manufacturer
Reaction score

Where did you get the racks? Are they a certain brand or model?
I like that set up and how well it uses space.

mardigras

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

looks great Howie... 8)

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score

Howie
Lookin Good
Do you get snare rattle or such with all those drums in the same room?
I only have one set(Gretsch) in bags in my storage room. Their my main playing out kit and can handle the abuse of travel and sit-ins.
Here is an agle from behind my Slingerlands.I sold the Ludwigs awhile back and put together my second Slingerland set with an 18" bass and orphan toms. I try to only have what I can set-up and play. storage room is available but it seems criminal to own drums and not use them.
At Least you can look at yours and enjoy them even if not set up.

P.S. RK's are lookin good

Bongo

I eliminate snare rattle two ways:

1. I place some kind of padding--bubble wrap works well- beween the snare drum and the tom on which it rests.

2. I keep the snares turned on, and I place a thin piece of cardboard between the snares and the bottom head.

I frequently take one kit down from the rack, and put the one on the floor in its place on the rack.

MikeJtone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Howie,
That looks really nice - great to have the drums up on racks, that is a great way to store, organize and it is also on display too. Very easy to pull a kit down and set it up too. Nice collection.
Mike

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Aren't we all show-offs with other drummers when it comes to our prized drums? I know that I am. if I can't dazzle them with my chops, try to impress them with my drums.

I should also mention that my drum room is a spare bedroom at the front of the house which faces Southwest. The afternoon and early evening setting sun flood this room with UV rays. Curtains were of little help to keep out the unwanted light. I resorted to keeping the drums stacked on the floor, and covered with old sheets and blankets. The simple fix for this was also a cheap fix. I bought a ready-made roll-up window shade that is a dark grey--almost black--thick plastic with pin hole perforations throughout. This is very much like the graphics applied to city buses. People inside the bus can see out the windows while no one outside the bus can see in to the bus. The manufacturer claims that these shades block out 95% of UV rays. The curtains over the shade should take care of the other 5%. There is no more need to keep the drums covered with sheets and blankets.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Looks a helluva lot better than it did when I saw it on the way to the Chicago Show- well done!

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thats looking good. I love the way you have the drums stacked on the shelves.

Kevin OConnor

DFO Master
Reaction score

bongojimi said:
Howie
Lookin Good
Do you get snare rattle or such with all those drums in the same room?
I only have one set(Gretsch) in bags in my storage room. Their my main playing out kit and can handle the abuse of travel and sit-ins.
Here is an agle from behind my Slingerlands.I sold the Ludwigs awhile back and put together my second Slingerland set with an 18" bass and orphan toms. I try to only have what I can set-up and play. storage room is available but it seems criminal to own drums and not use them.
At Least you can look at yours and enjoy them even if not set up.

P.S. RK's are lookin good

Bongo
Jim,
Is your camera getting smaller or is that basement just filling up with gear? :wink:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Howie, that looks pretty impressive---very nicely organized. We're going to have to start calling you the "Anti-Poot!" :lol:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Luddite said:
Howie, that looks pretty impressive---very nicely organized. We're going to have to start calling you the "Anti-Poot!" :lol:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!! :notworthy:

Robb