Drum room

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So question. My drum room is currently getting crammed. My setup I have facing the wall right as you walk in. I have one other free wall but there’s a heater vent on the floor right where the kick would sit. So my question is should I steer clear of putting it over it? I’m not worried about a wrap warping as it’s natural.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also have a smalll drum room in my house..Had to get rid of a few kits and cases because my older drum room was a whole basement..anyway, I utlize the space by putting my throne in the corner opposite of the door and face the drum kit out to the center of the room..just leaving enough room to squeeze in between the floor tom and the wall..I also have a small table to my right that I keep a lap top and books..the rest of the room is jammed with shelves and gear..it will never be nice so I just keep the door closed

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have a smalll drum room in my house..Had to get rid of a few kits and cases because my older drum room was a whole basement..anyway, I utlize the space by putting my throne in the corner opposite of the door and face the drum kit out to the center of the room..just leaving enough room to squeeze in between the floor tom and the wall..I also have a small table to my right that I keep a lap top and books..the rest of the room is jammed with shelves and gear..it will never be nice so I just keep the door closed
I would do that but it doubles as a craft room for my wife as well so I pretty have to face the wall and take up minimum room lol drums are starting to over crowd the room lol.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, there’s no way I would put my kit near/over a heater vent like that. I mean, I don’t know what would happen exactly, but I know something would happen!

It would be cool though when the heat is off though (no pun intended!)

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ya I might just have to do some rearranging and free up more space. I did notice when they were on a exterior wall they were so loud outside. They might just have to stay where they’re at. :(

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, there’s no way I would put my kit near/over a heater vent like that. I mean, I don’t know what would happen exactly, but I know something would happen!

It would be cool though when the heat is off though (no pun intended!)
Exactly I wasn’t sure if something would happen or not but didn’t wanna take the risk. Had to ask what others thought about it. I really need to get some shelving to store drums.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya I might just have to do some rearranging and free up more space. I did notice when they were on a exterior wall they were so loud outside. They might just have to stay where they’re at. :(
I know we see some beautiful drum rooms on this site, but I think most drummers are challenged for working space like you are. I couldn’t even take up the drums as a kid because I grew up in an apartment, so my parents gave me a guitar instead! Lol

But spring is coming, well, in a couple of months anyway, and then you should get about 6 months with no heat, so you can move them over then, correct?

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know we see some beautiful drum rooms on this site, but I think most drummers are challenged for working space like you are. I couldn’t even take up the drums as a kid because I grew up in an apartment, so my parents gave me a guitar instead! Lol

But spring is coming, well, in a couple of months anyway, and then you should get about 6 months with no heat, so you can move them over then, correct?
Dude didn’t even realize that lol. Yes I could def have them over it then. I went from a full basement to a medium sized room with crafting table and 4 kits misc snares and cymbals. I thought about insulating my small garage and heating it but I’ve always hated having my drums not in the house. The struggle is real.

Also did you learn guitar? I learned later on in life around 14 and can find it easier to do accents not just with the bass player but guitarist as well. Although I found I play guitar like a drummer to a different rhythm.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude didn’t even realize that lol. Yes I could def have them over it then. I went from a full basement to a medium sized room with crafting table and 4 kits misc snares and cymbals. I thought about insulating my small garage and heating it but I’ve always hated having my drums not in the house. The struggle is real.

Also did you learn guitar? I learned later on in life around 14 and can find it easier to do accents not just with the bass player but guitarist as well. Although I found I play guitar like a drummer to a different rhythm.
Oh yeah, I played guitar and enjoyed it for many years, so it wasn’t a total loss. But the call of drumming never left me and I’m super happy to be playing now. Never to late as they say!

Im not sure how big your kit is, but maybe you can cut it down to a small 3 piece and fit it in differently.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s what
Oh yeah, I played guitar and enjoyed it for many years, so it wasn’t a total loss. But the call of drumming never left me and I’m super happy to be playing now. Never to late as they say!

Im not sure how big your kit is, but maybe you can cut it down to a small 3 piece and fit it in differently.
I’ve been doing for my p kit 20x8 kick drum 10” rack 14” floor doesnt take up a ton of room more looks like a eye sore soon as you open the door, boom right there. Only set up the bigger sizes kits if a recording calls for that sound.