header.nohb.html

Drum rug ideas?

mike90

Reaction score
What have you guys found works for drum rugs when you're playing out for live gigs? I really just need something under my bass drum and the left double pedal and high hat stand. Not looking to spend a lot of money

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up one of those foam-rubberized drum mats that GC sells. I think it was under $20. Around 5x5', I believe. Both my Gretsch kicks have vintage spurs and they do not move at all on this mat. It rolls up small and comes with a carry bag. Washes off pretty easily, too. It shows some wear after a while for sure, but it has already well paid for itself.

I believe the typical yoga mats sold by Target, etc., are essentially the same thing.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Be gotten rubber back ones at goodwill or any other thrift store for cheap. Keeps my pedals velcroed down and no movement

Rockin' Billy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I get used carpeted mats w/rubber ’grippers’ on the back from a Uniform Company that also has carpets/mats for businesses etc. I get a 3x5 for $15.00 in nice shape.(other sizes available) Different colors also. Just an option if you may have a Uniform Supply Company you could check with.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
What have you guys found works for drum rugs when you're playing out for live gigs? I really just need something under my bass drum and the left double pedal and high hat stand. Not looking to spend a lot of money

Home depot. They can cut a section off of your choice of rug from a giant spool pretty cheaply. Or, a commercial size double door mat which has a rubber backing. A single door mat may be enough for only your bass drum.

Last edited:

Malc

Reaction score
I use a rubber backed door mat,as found in entrances to large commercial buildings etc. It's taken some abuse over the years but always appears to clean up ok.
IMG_20200915_130803812.jpg

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The perfect solution is this, even if I have to pat myself on the back a bit: I went to Lowes and picked up a roll of some dark gray indoor / outdoor carpet. 20 bucks and super light weight. I then cut to the exact size I wanted. From the 20 dollar roll, I got two drum rugs and some scrap that I use in the garage. I then fold it up and it fits in my Ahead hardware bag. Weighs less than a pound. Gets dirty? Hose it off and let it dry. When (if?) it wears out, I'll use the other one I cut out.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just use some scrap carpet from Home Depot.

Just make sure the carpet is on the thin side. Thick carpet is no good for drums.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Home depot sells rubber backed mats. Not the small door mats the larger one. 6'x4' or something.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I bought a cheapy rug from Ikea. I think it was $12. It's pretty big to mark my territory from the other guys but it's also pretty lightweight. Just roll it up and set it in my hardware bag.

M

Mongoose

Check out U-Line. They have a lot of cheap industrial rugs with rubber bottoms.

phdamage

Reaction score
i'm usually good with any stupid rug as long as i screw a 2x4 to the front of it, ideally using washers or something so it doesn't simply tear the rug

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
i bought 1 of these years ago .... it's light folds up small , and fits in my trap case

Attachments

• rug.jpg
    rug.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 51
  • rug1.jpg
    rug1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 50